SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Euler's Disk Video
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Euler's Disk Video Login/Join 
Triggers don't
pull themselves
Picture of mdblanton
posted
Just stumbled across this in the nerd wing of the internet and was pretty impressed.
Euler's Disk

Posts: 1102 | Location: Petal, MS | Registered: January 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Resident Undertaker
Picture of BigCity
posted Hide Post
Gee, thanks.....

John

The key to enforcement is to punish the violator, not an inanimate object. The punishment of inanimate objects for the commission of a crime or carelessness is an affront to stupidity.

Posts: 1728 | Location: People's Republik of Maryland | Registered: November 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
You owe me

Posts: 5318 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I can just imagine how many hours Euler spent watching that disk go.

I'm tempted to get one myself. It' only $37.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19658 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cant own one. The cat would make short work of it.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16086 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
It's really pretty simple, if you think about it this way:

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30659 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Triggers don't
pull themselves
Picture of mdblanton
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
It's really pretty simple, if you think about it this way:

Of course, when you put it like that Wink

Adding a disk to my list of gadgets for suggested Christmas gifts.

Posts: 1102 | Location: Petal, MS | Registered: January 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I can't get the video to run. Lots of YouTube videos are behaving the same way--black screen with rotating white circle forever.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
Cool. Thanks for sharing.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5685 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post

Posts: 107558 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
It certainly is important.

Riemann put forth the hypothesis that all of the non-trivial roots of the complex form of Euler’s zeta function lie on the line x = 1/2.

The hypothesis has never been proven, but much of modern mathematics is based on the assumption that it is true.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8942 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
It certainly is important.

Riemann put forth the hypothesis that all of the non-trivial roots of the complex form of Euler’s zeta function lie on the line x = 1/2.

The hypothesis has never been proven, but much of modern mathematics is based on the assumption that it is true.

But what if it's NOT?

Posts: 11320 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
If only I had one of them hand spinner thingy's while watching this would be soooo fulfilling.

Posts: 22902 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
Fascinating device! But I wondered what (Leonhard) Euler, the great Swiss mathematician, had to do with it. Apparently nothing:

“Euler's Disk, invented between 1987 and 1990 by Joseph Bendik, is a trademark for a scientific educational toy. It is used to illustrate and study the dynamic system of a spinning and rolling disk on a flat or curved surface. It has been the subject of several scientific papers. …”

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euler%27s_Disk

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8942 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Time Cube
Hooray! It’s back!! Big Grin

quote:
Truth Was That They All had
Mama Made Belly Buttons …

Posts: 45373 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
I'll take: How to annoy your officemates for $100, Alex.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15304 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
Cool. We used to do that with a coin on the bar in the pub. Never knew it was a scientificky thing tho!

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post