SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Building a new house...what to upgrade
Page 1 2 3 4 5 

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Building a new house...what to upgrade Login/Join 
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Even though I am sure networking pre wire was mentioned ~ I would recommend that an IT guy draw out the network plan of where everything should be located.
Don't rely on a builder or Gen Contractor to to this right.
Included where the central administration point should be and then run cable to every possible location and then some.
Especially important in large homes for full WiFi coverage.
Wires don't have to be terminated on each end until needed provided access to the endpoint is there.
Would be much cheaper, easier to do than when walls go up.
Run to any location that even a remote chance for a connection.
In offices we run at least two connections even if only one will be used.
YMMV

Posts: 22941 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Report This Post
Picture of Kraquin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SpinZone:

Cat6 cable to all rooms.

Also to corners of the house inside the soffit or locations where outside cameras would provide overlapping fields of view.

Also, if you plan to live there until you're dead you might think about how you would get around in the home if you have mobility issues in your later years.

Posts: 391 | Registered: December 07, 2016Report This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kraquin:...
Also, if you plan to live there until you're dead you might think about how you would get around in the home if you had mobility issues.

I'll let the Medical Examiner's folks move me.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43918 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Report This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
We added 4' doorways. It was a cheap upgrade along with the 9' ceilings. The Amish carpenters didn't complain at all. A friend suggested interior insulation...after we finished construction.

When we were in the planning stages, I phoned a friend and told him we were getting a 10'x10' vault room. He said "why so small". As usual, he was right and we upped it to 10x20. Still full of gun junk!

Be careful and don't let others suggest ideas you don't like. Its easy to spend someone's money.

We met with the electrical sub and asked for some changes. He balked and said its got to meet code. No problem with me,I just wanted twice as many outlets.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18389 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah, A large exterior door to get furniture in and out easier, and solid doors throughout the inside of the house.

posted Hide Post
One thing that we did was insulate the bedroom/bathroom walls along with the laundry room for sound deadening. Our house is all hardwood flooring and tile and when we first moved in with nothing in the house it was amazing how much sound bounces around an empty house. Carpet helps to deaden sound but hardwood and tile are the opposite. I used regular fiberglass but rock wool may be better.