SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Spray on bed-liners vs internal pressure??
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Spray on bed-liners vs internal pressure?? Login/Join 
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted
So spray on liners are excellent against external impact. For instance my local place has all sorts of things like pop cans, balloons, etc. coated and you can beat these things with sledge hammers, run them over with trucks and the interior items is unscathed.
What do these coatings do against internal pressures?

The reason I ask is because I have a very large and efficient intercooler. However it’s Achilles heel are that the end tanks are plastic.
When folks exceed 25lbs of boost and creep up on 30lbs these tanks can crack.

I don’t plan on exceeding 25lbs and plan to keep it around 20lbs.
But as we know things don’t always go as planned.
I could spend $300-$400 on a intercooler with aluminum or titanium end tanks.
However I have this intercooler and it fits perfectly in the nose of my car and I have too modify nothing to make this intercooler fit.
So I’d really rather not spend the money and it got me wondering what if I just coated the end tanks as a little bit off added strength?

Would the bed-liner help keep the tanks from cracking?

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25431 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Do they crack or do they separate from the aluminum portion of the intercooler?

If the former, then I don’t see how it wouldn’t help. If the later, then I don’t believe it will help.

You don’t heat soak the stock intercooler? Lucky!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: trapper189,

Posts: 10974 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Woke up today..
Great day!
posted Hide Post
Some strength, sure it would add "some" strength. IMO not nearly enough to solve either problem. And would you really want to risk it? I've never seen any aftermarket performance intercoolers that weren't tig welded. Maybe there is a reason for that. I've pulled out two oem coolers. Bth had plastic tanks but they were both for low boost applications.

Posts: 1773 | Location: Chicagoland | Registered: December 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
See YouTube video on the use of spray on bedliner to make a house withstand an explosion better.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5055 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:

That's what I want to know. If the plastic tanks themselves are cracking, yes, a bed liner coating couldn't hurt and might help. If the tanks are separating from the aluminum core, it won't do anything. Or … you could pony up the bucks for the all-aluminum, TIG-welded one, or even [gasp] not run so much boost. I know, it's a silly idea. Razz But part of the hobby of "tuning," "souping up" or "hot-rodding" is that you break stuff.

What car is this going in, anyway?

Posts: 27974 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
Easy enough to install a 20 PSI pop off valve.
https://www.eindustrialsolutio...V0g8XJRoCRHIQAvD_BwE

Posts: 1482 | Location: Portland Oregon | Registered: October 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
quote:

That's what I want to know. If the plastic tanks themselves are cracking, yes, a bed liner coating couldn't hurt and might help. If the tanks are separating from the aluminum core, it won't do anything. Or … you could pony up the bucks for the all-aluminum, TIG-welded one, or even [gasp] not run so much boost. I know, it's a silly idea. Razz But part of the hobby of "tuning," "souping up" or "hot-rodding" is that you break stuff.

What car is this going in, anyway?

My understanding is the tank is cracking and not separating. Though this does not seem to be an issue under 25 lbs.

It’s going in a 92 Mustang.

I’d really like to do this kit but it’s costly when I already have a good (granted not great) intercooler plus a fair amount of modification needs to be done.

https://www.stinger-performanc...e/fmic-stock-mustang

They make the piping for the intercooler I have as well and $179 is much more appealing that $529

https://www.stinger-performanc...-npr-volvo-stock-kit

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25431 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lt CHEG
posted Hide Post
I’m not confident that you’d even get good adhesion and bonding to the plastic. I think the solution you are really looking for is to replace the intercooler. Is there any way that a good radiator rebuilder could fabricate metal end pieces to attach to the intercooler in place of the plastic parts? It certainly wouldn’t be cheap, but it would allow you to not make additional modifications.

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.”

Posts: 5578 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: February 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
I had a 2009 Subaru WRX. I had it tuned. Tim told me that 19 psi was all that my intercooler could take. Low RPM fifth gear roll to full boost and I over boosted. End tank separated from the aluminum core. The little tabs were all straight and the plastic was mostly together.

Hindsight is 20/20.

I put a solid aluminum, badass, top mount intercooler. It was incredible. Heat exchange was awesome. It had welded end tanks. Everything was solid in the system now.

Again, had one of those lazy moments where you don’t downshift, and roll into full boost from low RPM’s in fifth gear… Overboosted like a mofo. Mapping shows I hit 42 psi. The ringlands on the number three piston became friends with the oil pickup tube.

Moral of the story… shitty plastic capped intercooler are super cheap insurance for your engine. Run it, if it blows apart, replace at that time.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4029 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spiritually Imperfect
Picture of VictimNoMore
posted Hide Post
At that kind of boost, you will have an all-aluminum tig-welded intercooler in that car. Sooner. Or later.
Use good t-bolt clamps and have ridges welded on the end of every pipe to prevent the couplers from popping off.
Ford factory ICs are crap. Speaking from experience.

Posts: 3807 | Location: WV | Registered: January 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post