SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Weather Stations.. Who's got one?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Weather Stations.. Who's got one? Login/Join 
posted
A couple years ago I started looking into putting a weather station at the house. There are none close for about 10 miles in any direction

Last weekend I put up a Davis 6163 with an envoy linked into the weatherlink IP data logger (easiest on a Mac to have full functionality). A few minor learning curve glitches, I think Ive got it figured out.. Cox cable is the weak link because of internet connectivty

snwghst station

Who's got what? Link your stations

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6294 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aileron
posted Hide Post
My wife gave me a Davis Pro2 Wireless for my birthday. I have it set up temporarily on my deck, and will get it mounted on top the shop in the next week or two. The anemometer will be 8' above the peak which is 26' above the ground - so about 34' AGL.

I know nothing about how to put my observations on the web, but use a Mac. What do I need?

Posts: 1492 | Location: Montana - bear country | Registered: March 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by aileron:
My wife gave me a Davis Pro2 Wireless for my birthday. I have it set up temporarily on my deck, and will get it mounted on top the shop in the next week or two. The anemometer will be 8' above the peak which is 26' above the ground - so about 34' AGL.

I know nothing about how to put my observations on the web, but use a Mac. What do I need?

What model?

I got the Davis envoy with the weather link IP data logger. the envoy connects directly into your network via cat5 cable to router leaving the console to "roam" around with around the house, its not static and connected

I set it up using a windows based computer (gives full functionality to the 6163) Davis Mac software sucks from everything I read. I'm trialing the weathercat software and also using the weathersnoop (bought full version) to use on the Mac and tie into weather underground (and others if you decide). weathersnoop will walk you through how to connect to the various sites with the share tab

mine is setup ontop of the chimney with anemometer close to 55' (photobucket crashing so can't post picture)

ETA.. Go Griz.. I'm a U of M grad Smile

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6294 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We have had a Davis Vantage Pro2 for over a decade. Very reliable. I assume very accurate. Had it sent back once for re calibration and battery replacement. Zero issues with the unit.

Posts: 616 | Location: West By God VA | Registered: July 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cruising the
Highway to Hell
Picture of 95flhr
posted Hide Post
I have a Vantage Pro2 that I've had for a couple of years. Love it.

I would like to put it online, but with Cellular based internet here, it's not practical

“Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.”
― Ronald Reagan

Retired old fart

Posts: 6528 | Location: Near the Beaverdam in VA | Registered: February 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Triggers don't
pull themselves
Picture of mdblanton
posted Hide Post
Have had a Vantage Pro2 for over 10 years set up at work. I enjoy viewing the rainfall rates during downpours. Have it linked through Weather Underground at the link below.

https://www.wunderground.com/p...shboard?ID=KMSHATTI7

Michael

Posts: 1140 | Location: Petal, MS | Registered: January 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
legendary_lawman
Picture of prairieviper
posted Hide Post
I just use Weather Underground. There are several weather stations close enough to me that I can't justify buying one.

"In God We Trust"

Posts: 1992 | Location: Central USA - Cornfields & Cows | Registered: May 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
I was looking at one of the fancy ones awhile back but decided I couldn't justify the (roughly) $1000. So, I still just use a cheapo Accurite model that gives temp, humidity, and pressure changes.

BTW, I caught that Griz comment. You should be ashamed of yourself. Razz

Posts: 20564 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

I've had a Davis Vantage Pro 2 for about a dozen years. Originally it was attached to a Windows server. The Davis Weatherlink software didn't last long, as I migrated to the Virtual Weather Station software. The novelty of beaconing my info to Weather Underground and CWOP grew old pretty quickly, and I settled in to just maintaining a web site with my station's output. Virtual Weather Station is, in my opinion, the best package to run on Windows.

I also use the Envoy with a serial version of the datalogger. I have the console wall mounted where we can view it easily. The station itself is mounted to a 10ft piece of 2" galvanized pipe, 7ft of which are above ground:

If you haven't already, check out Ambient Weather for all kinds of WX related hardware and software. Also look at the WXForum. Lots of good ideas/modifications tossed around there. Some folks really go over the top (I think).

After dropping Windows entirely, I moved the Davis serial output to a FreeBSD machine, and ran the wview software for several years, until the author stopped supporting it and I could no longer compile it for FreeBSD. I then switched over to weeWX, which is the current package I use. It is a minimal interface, just the basic output of the station. One nice feature is that it also provides two mobile friendly versions of the web interface. The live output is available on my local network only, and the public output runs on a GoDaddy hosted web site. I refresh the public web site every five minutes with ftp.

http://wx.vistaroyale.us

Posts: 10876 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aileron
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by snwghst:
quote:

What model?

I got the Davis envoy with the weather link IP data logger. the envoy connects directly into your network via cat5 cable to router leaving the console to "roam" around with around the house, its not static and connected

I set it up using a windows based computer (gives full functionality to the 6163) Davis Mac software sucks from everything I read. I'm trialing the weathercat software and also using the weathersnoop (bought full version) to use on the Mac and tie into weather underground (and others if you decide). weathersnoop will walk you through how to connect to the various sites with the share tab

mine is setup ontop of the chimney with anemometer close to 55' (photobucket crashing so can't post picture)

ETA.. Go Griz.. I'm a U of M grad Smile

Okay, it's a 6152 but no software came with the device. It has an anemometer, a rain gage/temp/humidity/transmitter unit and a wireless console. As far as I can see the transmitter just communicates with the console, not the www. ??? Mine looks just like the picture in the post above.

Posts: 1492 | Location: Montana - bear country | Registered: March 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
As far as I can see the transmitter just communicates with the console, not the www. ???

Correct. You need to use your software package to communicate with the www. The Weatherlink software and Virtual Weather Station have the www connection built in. I never did try out OS X software, going straight from Windows to FreeBSD. Unfortunately, Davis does not sell the datalogger by itself (at least they never used to). You buy the Weatherlink software along with an included datalogger. The datalogger is your interface between the station and your computer. The datalogger can be inserted into the console that comes with the station, or you can buy a separate Envoy, which has no screen, and the datalogger fits inside it. The software on your computer takes the data and makes pretty graphs and things. It's really too bad you have to purchase Weatherlink to get the datalogger hardware thingie. Weatherlink sucks on both the Mac and Windows. Visit Ambient Weather to look at much better options for software.

The "www" can be a web server you run at home (need a static IP), or a hosted server somewhere, like GoDaddy or one of many others. The software will help you build and customize web pages, and probably has a built in ftp routine for keeping a remote web site updated with the latest data. Or you can create your own ftp script to upload new pages regularly. Automate it with whatever tools your OS has. If you don't want your own web site, the software (most of them) will beacon your station's data to Weather Underground, where you can have your own station on the www.

Posts: 10876 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
Had had an Oregon Scientific for 13 years. I've replaced a couple of units but it still works.
However, there's a weather station at the school a half mile from here.likely his summer i will pull the unit here.

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6065 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post