SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Best repellent for biting gnats
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best repellent for biting gnats Login/Join 
posted
The biting gnats are back at my gun range. I cannot stand wearing Skin So soft which was suggested. Any thoughts from Sig forum members? Thanks

Posts: 17236 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Permethrin works well for stuff that has to crawl or walk in to get you. It doesn't repel them-it kills them, generally before they dine on you. You can't apply it to your skin-it has to be applied to clothing, and allowed to dry. DEET works on your skin, but if you are using almost anything with much of a scent, it may not work as well. What works well with scent is someone else. Just don't have them stand near you.

A nation which can prefer disgrace to danger is prepared for a master-and deserves one. Ronald Reagan, 1964, quoted from Alexander Hamilton

Posts: 1684 | Location: Southern Tennessee | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
If you don't like harsh chemicals like me, get some Avon Skin so Soft. It does a good job for mosquitos as well and we've used it for years.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
Mrs. Elk read somewhere that a "Bounce" sheet works really well as a repellent.

I tried it, and it works.

In fact, I was fishing and a game warden stopped to chat and remarked on the sheet I had pinned to the back of my shirt.

He laughed and said that he often uses then when he is not on duty. Said it didn't look so good to have a LEO walking around with a white flag pinned on his back.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25643 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by walkinghorse:
A product called Bug Soother, says repels bugs and gnats naturally. All natural bud spray that smells great but bugs hate. Made in an Iowa town about 25 miles away, and seems sold to be everywhere around here. Specifically for gnats but repels mosquito's and other bugs also. [url=http://www.simply]www.simplysoothing.net
Only tried it here, and can't say about the gnat hordes down south.

Jim

Posts: 1349 | Location: Southern Black Hills | Registered: September 14, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
I've found a new favorite that is a natural product, not that it matter that much to me. It just works. Any of the natural repellents containing lemongrass oil. In our old house we had some sort of sugar loving ants continually invading our kitchen despite our best efforts to keep them away. We have two indoor German Shepherds so when I found a new natural products I thought I'd give it a try. Works better than just about anything I've tried. I've found it in the sporting goods section at Wally Weirdmart and in the pesticide sections. Sometimes I've found it mixed with cedar oil, soybean oil, and citronella. It has a pleasant smell sort of lemon like. Give it a shot.

Posts: 6011 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10 November, 1775
Picture of MarinetoRN
posted Hide Post
Thermocell. It gets expensive, but they work. The only reason I go the the woods without one is because I forget it.

SiGArm'd

P220ST X2, 1911 Revolution, P245, P229 RTTEQ/ST .40 X2, P226ST, Mosquito
Other weaponry not SIG

Glocks are ugly.
I don't like repeat offenders, I like dead offenders.

Posts: 2471 | Location: Eastern NC | Registered: August 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
REI used to sell little green bottles of Jungle Juice, which is 100% DEET. That stuff works! Even camping in Alaska, where we were swarmed. Just a few drops rubbed on clothing keeps the bugs away. Wash your hands after applying.

Posts: 3251 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
You can buy clothes pretreated with Permethrin. You can buy the $$$ spray to treat your own clothes. But what I do is much cheaper. I buy the concentrate and mix myself, and soak my shirts and pants and socks in it, even my boots, in a 5 gallon bucket then hang to dry. It is supposed to last 6 washes or so. It seems to help for ticks and chiggers, however, if I know I will be in tick and chigger territory I also hit my clothes just before with Deet, because, damn, I hate chiggers... Never put wet Permethrin on yourself!
I can't really say if it would repel any flying pest.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4129 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Victoria Secret amber romance or vanilla lace body spray

Sounds hoky but they work. Its what the Shrimpers and crabbers use around me

I personally have tried them both and it works

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6226 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Peppermint oil & (real) vanilla work to keep gnats away. DEET doesn't seem to do much for the 'buffalo gnats' we've had here for the last 10 years (can't remember them before that). Works good for skeeters.

Buggins spray has peppermint, lavender (?) and other oils in it. That plus a high % DEET spray is what I use.

Posts: 3297 | Location: IN | Registered: January 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Author,
cowboy,
friend to all
posted Hide Post
Eat a clove of garlic each morning and insects will leave you alone. Some may notice the smell.

Posts: 2401 | Location: Riverton Wyoming | Registered: June 05, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The very best repellent I've found after no success at deterring gnats with DEET has been Absorbine JR, which was recommended to me - the stuff for muscle aches. Apply it everywhere, especially the neck.

-------------------------------
Inside every progressive is a totalitarian screaming to get out.
- David Horowitz

Posts: 5160 | Location: WI | Registered: July 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the replies. I will report back on the results after trying several of the products.
__________________________________________________________________________________________________-_
Victoria Secret amber romance or vanilla lace body spray I will try later. I do believe they work since the shrimpers and crabbers use it. I know how much those guys are out in the elements and since I am in Coastal Mississippi should work as well. I am uncertain about the fragrance sending a strange message at the gun range. LOL

Posts: 17236 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
https://www.amazon.com/Bug-Soo...Bottle/dp/B00E3C1QJ0

its cheaper in retail stores.

cool story here:
http://site.iptv.org/video/sto...neur-simply-soothing

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54638 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Security Sage
Picture of striker1
posted Hide Post
2nd on Absorbine Jr.

I learned it from a fellow golfer. It works.

It doubles as a lovely cologne.

RB

Cancer fighter (Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma) since 2009, now fighting Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma.

Posts: 7133 | Location: Michiana | Registered: March 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post