SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    A question on chiropractors
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A question on chiropractors Login/Join 
Ducatista
Picture of rainman64
posted
I gave always felt that they are not real doctors and never felt the need to see one.

Do any of you see one and feel any benefits?

Posts: 5018 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: April 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not all who wander
are lost.
Picture of JohnV
posted Hide Post
I love every visit to my Chiropractor. He helps reduce my occasional back and neck pain.

Posted from my iPhone.

Posts: 4311 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: February 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rainman64:
I gave always felt that they are not real doctors and never felt the need to see one.

Do any of you see one and feel any benefits?

Yeah, my wallet felt lighter after I visited one.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
I think they have a place for certain aches/pains. The guy I used a few years ago was also an M.D. He fixed a very sore shoulder over the course of about 5 treatments that included a Tens unit.

Now you can buy a Tens unit on Amazon for about $20.

Mike

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4216 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Saw one reg neck pain which he reduced. Would go back periodically. He was a good one as he taught me excersizes to do at home and would wait for me to call to make appointments.
A bad chiropractor will tell you that you need to sign a contract with 10 visits and ask for payment in advance. He will tell you that: “by the way -your spine is curved.” to scare you.
Best go with one that was recommended by someone you know.

Posts: 266 | Registered: June 03, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
I used one about every 2 weeks or so last year. Definitely helped relieve some back pain and loosened me up.

I had good results. I know they have plenty of detractors, though.

Posts: 13047 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Snackologist
Picture of BigJoe
posted Hide Post
I used to see the Crackropractor about once a month. I bought an Inversion table, and probably only see one maybe once a year. It really seemed to solve my lower and upper back pain. The only negative thing I have to say is, it took the top of my knees a while to adjust to the idea of hanging upside down.

...You, higher mammal. Can you read?
....There's nothing sexier than a well worn, functional Sig!

Posts: 14005 | Location: WV | Registered: January 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2BobTanner
posted Hide Post
US military doesn’t recognize Chiropratic care as legitimate, so TriCare doesn’t either; but Medicare does. You have to pay the out-of-pocket portion yourself unless you have an additional supplement.

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2692 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Facts are stubborn things
Picture of armedprof
posted Hide Post
I see mine every month or two. My neck stiffens up and reduces my range of motion. She fixes it in one visit. When it gets real bad, I will go a couple times per month. She is really good a loosening my lower back too.

I look it like a really good massage.

Do, Or do not. There is no try.

Posts: 1786 | Location: Just South of Charlotte, NC | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
First off, you have to find a good one. I had a really good one, but he died on me. Finding another good one was hell, but possible.

I now have found a great masseuse therapist that has saved my shoulders from surgery, which my orthopedic surgeon said had to be done about 5 years ago.

Ask around, and get referrals. I found that referrals are the best way to get a good one.

This is my 50th year in the plumbing & heating business and regular customers and referrals ( I get a huge amount) have eliminated any need for advertising. What I'm saying is, that you if see one advertised a lot, look elsewhere.

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I guess it depends on the injury or pain level. remember it takes 6 weeks (depending on age) to cure bones or muscle tears. if the pain cannot be relieved in a few visits, I would recommend a orthopedic doctor, that can diagnose and repair as needed. it may still take 6 weeks recovery for serious injuries.

john

Posts: 476 | Location: Greensboro, NC | Registered: November 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
The science based chiropractors are real doctors. The ones that tell you they can heal every health problem, from autism to allergies to anxiety, by cracking your back are just plain nuts.

I am concerned that my chiropractor is planning to retire. He's cut his office hours to 3 days per week.

Posts: 45331 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
My spinal surgeon recommended a specific one for me. Found I have a genetic defect in my thoracic spine. I figured if a highly regarded spine surgeon recommends him he might be all right.

I’m starting a chiropractic/physical medicine/physical therapy regimen to try to stave off the effects for a few years.

That being said, there are some quacks out there.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by eltonr:
I guess it depends on the injury or pain level. remember it takes 6 weeks (depending on age) to cure bones or muscle tears....
I believe bone breaks and muscle tears are outside of the scope of chiropractors.

Posts: 45331 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm 60 and have had back issues since college. Back surgery in 1998.

Some years after surgery I was hunched over and couldn't put my right heel on the floor without extreme pain. Went to a chiro that a friend recommended. After 10 minutes I was standing upright - still in pain but better.

Funny thing is I even told him before he treated me that I didn't believe in chiropractors. His response: "Let's see if we can make you a believer."

I'm a believer!

Posts: 62 | Location: North Central PA | Registered: July 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
I went through a period when I saw one frequently for back issues. Spinal manipulation is one thing they do well. As with any profession, there are good ones and not so good.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
Had one who cleared up my tennis/shooting elbow when my regular MD only offered a soft brace to restrict movement..."If it hurts to move that way, don't" ain't going to cut it.

Had another who helped me learn to stretch properly...after he aligned me...to prevent occurrence of shoulder,elbow, hip, and back pain

You do have to find one who knows what they are doing...both of mine were shooting partners

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14175 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I apparently had one of the bad ones. He just kept bringing back multiple times to no avail. I later found out about an osteopath that did spinal work and visited him twice. Problem solved. Many osteopaths do not do the manipulations so you have to find one that does. Most DO's now end up in regular medical practice.

The “POLICE"
Their job Is To Save Your Ass,
Not Kiss It

The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says "go away" in any language - Clint Smith

Posts: 2872 | Location: See der Rabbits, Iowa | Registered: June 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bettysnephew:
... Most DO's now end up in regular medical practice.

That's because they are real physicians. A DC, in contrast, can't prescribe medications and don't have hospital privileges.

Posts: 12436 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
I never thought much about them until last summer.

I had a bad muscle spasm at my right should blade near the middle of my back. My PC gave me muscle relaxers and heat to clear it up. about 3 months later I got a sharp stabbing pain in the same spot without the spasms. I suffered through it that day and called a chiropractor the next day.

She was awesome. I saw her once a week for a month and I have not had any problems with it since. she adjusted some stuff around and worked on my muscle with some massage tools. for the right type of issues I will absolutely go back to her again.

she has an interesting practice. she has a small office inside a Bailey's gym. no staff, she answers her own phone.

She mostly deals in sports medicine but on my first visit we spent about a half hour going over my medical history and I found her to be extremely knowledgeable about some of my medical conditions that are as far outside the chiropractic world as you could get. I developed a lot of respect for her.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: SpinZone,

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3840 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post