SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Which Vaccine is the LEAST Bad?
Page 1 ... 14 15 16 17
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which Vaccine is the LEAST Bad? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Erick85:
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:

That "Guillain Barre" is a question they ask when you setup an appointment online...
Who is "they?" As in the question they ask? Is that an organization that gives the shots? Or ???

That is a standard screening question for vaccines. I would assume it would be from whomever would be administering the shots or whomever the appointment being set up online is with. Every vaccine I administered in 9 years as an immunizing pharmacist, I asked that question (among others) before giving the shot.

Interesting. I'd never heard of "Guillain Barre" before reading about it on this forum. I'm certain it was never mentioned before any vaccinations. Is that question new?

Posts: 2368 | Registered: October 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
I no longer have the trust in doctors I once did.

This is why I suggested a second opinion. Unfortunately medicine is not an actual science and is nuanced as well as is individual specific.

I won't totally dismiss their expertise and let my couple of hours of research supplant their decades of experience and years of schooling. Not all doctors are perfect, but 99.9% of them are more knowable than I am.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20824 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Interesting. I'd never heard of "Guillain Barre" before reading about it on this forum. I'm certain it was never mentioned before any vaccinations. Is that question new?

Guillain Barre became famous in the late seventies when we were scared shitless of the Swine Flu. A vaccine was developed and quickly administered and a significant number of people developed G.B following the vaccination.

I can well remember the Dean of the School of Medicine marching all of the students out into the pavilion in front of the School of Nursing where we dutifully got vaccinated. A couple of members of my class got G.B. as a result. Our V-Tail here has had it and doesn't get vaccinated any longer.

As the say, there is no free lunch and every medical treatment can have drawbacks or side effects. The truth is in the costs/benefits ratio. Make more people well, you're golden. Kill more than you help, well, that sucks.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20321 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bryan11:
quote:
quote:
quote:

That "Guillain Barre" is a question they ask when you setup an appointment online...
Who is "they?" As in the question they ask? Is that an organization that gives the shots? Or ???

That is a standard screening question for vaccines. I would assume it would be from whomever would be administering the shots or whomever the appointment being set up online is with. Every vaccine I administered in 9 years as an immunizing pharmacist, I asked that question (among others) before giving the shot.

Here’s a link to the form we used at Walgreens.

Section B, question 6.

Posts: 2157 | Location: St. Louis | Registered: January 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Yes, apparently it's a common standard question for vaccines, I've looked at getting the shot, for various reasons I still haven't done it, however the questions are the same at the various places that provide the shots, Publix, CVS, WalGreens, et al...

Posts: 23457 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
Guillain-Barre Syndrome happens when (for what reason is not well understood) the immune system goes haywire following a viral or bacterial infection.

GBS can happen after a flu vaccine because the way a flu vaccine works is by making the body think it has a flu infection when it doesn't. The same out-of-control response can occur even though there isn't a real infection.

It's worth pointing out that GBS is not exclusive to flu vaccines, or even vaccines in general. You can also get GBS following a normal flu infection or any number of other viral/bacterial infections, mostly GI and respiratory ones.

Various sources all seem to report the overall GBS incidence as around 1-2 per 100,000 annually, and the risk of developing GBS after a flu shot as less than 1 per 1,000,000 doses.

The 1976 swine flu vaccine issue that linked GBS to vaccination for the first time was caught not because a lot of people were affected, but because enough people were affected to cause a small but noticeable spike in the average incidence rate of an extremely rare condition.

45,000,000 swine flu vaccine doses were administered in 1976 and 450 people developed GBS after their dose (1 per 100,000 doses - enough to approximately double the chances of contracting GBS in the vaccinated cohort, or increase the overall incidence in the US by about one fourth).

https://www.discovermagazine.c...6-swine-flu-outbreak

None of that is to say that GBS isn't absolutely horrible - it is - or that vaccinations can't cause significant health problems or even death - they can.

It ultimately comes down to a numbers game - how likely are you to catch a disease that can be vaccinated against? If you catch it, how likely are you to have a serious health problem or die? How does that chance compare to the chance of developing serious health problems or dying after getting vaccinated?

These are small enough probabilities that intuition doesn't handle them well and anecdotal experience isn't really informative

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:

Section B, question 6.
What did you do if the person answered "yes?"

Was the vaccine still administered?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30679 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Section B, question 6.
What did you do if the person answered "yes?"

Was the vaccine still administered?

We’d refer them to their physician for the vaccine. Personally, over the 9 years I immunized, I can’t even begin to think how many vaccines I administered... probably 1 maybe 2 came in and answered yes to that question.

Posts: 2157 | Location: St. Louis | Registered: January 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I put off receiving the vaccine for months, but finally did give in a few weeks ago. I work in health care, and so have some responsibility there.

Pfizer is what I ended up with, wanted the J&J but it was not available at the time.

The first shot wiped me out for 7-10 days, but I did not get tired until a week in. For the second vaccination an acupuncturist recommended I take "Bitter +" from Wei Labs. She said to take it with a small amount of homemade ginger tea. WOW!!!, almost no exhaustion. After a few days I reduced my does of Bitter +, and the tiredness returned. So now I take 3 caps of Bitter + 3x/day as directed.

I have heard of some persons being tired for months after receiving the vaccine. This was a concern. Normally I take zero meds and only a few supplements.

-c1steve

Posts: 4053 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post