SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Farmers Going Dem (dim) Due to Tariffs
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Farmers Going Dem (dim) Due to Tariffs Login/Join 
Picture of Poacher
posted
So tariffs are hurting some, but everything else is good and the tariffs will not last forever, but you want to vote dem so you can have higher EVERYTHING?

Pretty myopic view when you should be looking long term.

NRA Life Member

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Teddy Roosevelt

Posts: 2250 | Location: Newnan, GA USA | Registered: January 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
It’s like people in the gun industry voting for 0bama since he scared up a lot of business

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23692 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doubtful...
Picture of TomS
posted Hide Post
Link to info?

Best regards,

Tom

I have no comment at this time.

Posts: 3127 | Location: Coker Creek,TN | Registered: April 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
fake news

Posts: 4829 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
Apparently they forgot that people can't eat cheap electronic gizmos.

There's no app for that.

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3888 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Show your newly turned democrat friends this article from a favorite leftist tag (for credibility with them). Trump got EU to buy their soy to weaken China's threats. Farmer crisis avoided and stronger against China. Dude is playing chess while they are picking up the book "checkers 101".

Trump is using tariffs to advance a radical free-trade agenda

Washington Post

Give President Trump credit. When he chastised NATO allies over their failure to spend adequately on our common defense, his critics said he was endangering the Atlantic alliance. Instead, his tough stance persuaded allies to spend billions more on defense, strengthening NATO instead.

Now, Trump is doing the same on trade. At the Group of Seven summit in Quebec, Trump was roundly criticized for publicly berating allies over their trade practices and provoking a needless trade war. Well, once again, it appears Trump is being proved right. On Wednesday, he and European Commission President Jean-Claude Juncker announced a cease-fire in their trade war and promised to seek the complete elimination of most trade barriers between the United States and the European Union. “We agreed today . . . to work together toward zero tariffs, zero non-tariff barriers, and zero subsidies on non-auto industrial goods,” declared the two leaders in a joint statement.

Zero tariffs. Wednesday’s breakthrough with the European Union shows that, contrary to what his critics allege, Trump is not a protectionist; rather, he is using tariffs as a tool to advance a radical free-trade agenda.

In a little-noticed interview with Fox News’s Maria Bartiromo earlier this month, Trump revealed that during the G-7 summit he made a sweeping proposal. “I said, ‘I have an idea, everybody. I’ll guarantee you we’ll do it immediately. Nobody pay any more tax, everybody take down your barriers. No barriers, no tax. Everybody, are you all set?’ . . . You know what happened? Everybody said, ‘Uh, can we get onto another subject?’ ” Trump offered to eliminate all trade barriers — and his supposedly pro-free-trade allies passed. Right before his meeting with Juncker this week, he repeated the offer, tweeting, “The European Union is coming to Washington tomorrow to negotiate a deal on Trade. I have an idea for them. Both the U.S. and the E.U. drop all Tariffs, Barriers and Subsidies!”

Trump knows that most of our trading partners don’t really want free trade; they want managed trade, where they can get access to U.S. markets while protecting certain industries from U.S. competition. Trump’s strategy to get them to drop these protectionist barriers is to impose crushing tariffs. At a rally earlier this week, Trump explained his strategy for getting to zero tariffs. “You know, other countries have tariffs on us. So, when I say, ‘Well, I’m going to put tariffs on them,’ they all start screaming, ‘He’s using tariffs,’ ” Trump said. “I said [to the European Union], ‘You have to change.’ They didn’t want to change. I said, ‘Okay. Good. We’re going to tariff your cars.’ . . . They said, ‘When can we show up? When can we be there?’ [Laughter.] ‘Would tomorrow be okay?’ Oh, folks, stick with us. Stick with us.”

Now Trump’s hard-line trade strategy is being vindicated. Not only is the E.U. negotiating zero tariffs, but also it agreed to immediately buy more American soybeans — which helps Trump in his trade battle with China. After Trump imposed tariffs on $34 billion worth of Chinese goods, China responded with retaliatory tariffs on U.S. products, including soybeans. Beijing knows that China is the single largest importer of U.S. soybeans, and that about 96 percent of U.S. soybeans are grown in 18 states — all but two of which voted for Trump in 2016. Their tariffs left soybean farmers none too happy with Trump and gave a political boost to vulnerable Senate Democrats in soy-producing farm states such as Heidi Heitkamp (N.D.), Joe Donnelly (Ind.) and Claire McCaskill (Mo.).

Now, Trump has enlisted the European Union to help U.S. soybean farmers to counteract the repercussions of Chinese tariffs, in addition to the $12 billion in aid he has promised for U.S. farmers. That’s three-dimensional trade chess.

Earlier this week, Trump tweeted, “Tariffs are the greatest! Either a country which has treated the United States unfairly on Trade negotiates a fair deal, or it gets hit with Tariffs. It’s as simple as that.” Well, maybe it is and maybe it isn’t. Trump is a long way from a final deal. And in trade, nothing is agreed to until everything is agreed to. But this is a surprisingly positive first step. If Trump succeeds in using trade wars to bring down European and Chinese trade barriers, he may end up being one of the greatest free-trade presidents in history.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 21150 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Poacher:
So tariffs are hurting some, but everything else is good and the tariffs will not last forever, but you want to vote dem so you can have higher EVERYTHING?

Pretty myopic view when you should be looking long term.

The problem is, well large. But for most people they what their now and fuck everyone else. People what theirs now, even though in the long run they lose (they don't or can't see that).

Also, most people can't see what Trump is doing, he is trying to get fair for everyone trade, because it's good for America, good for the American consumer, and good for our foreign trade partners.

Most people are playing tiddlywinks, while Trump is playing 3D Vulcan chess!

ARman

Posts: 3216 | Registered: May 19, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doubtful...
Picture of TomS
posted Hide Post
Winning is so much fun!

Best regards,

Tom

I have no comment at this time.

Posts: 3127 | Location: Coker Creek,TN | Registered: April 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Another good read for them. Has some of Trump's staunchest haters backing his efforts.

China started the trade war, Trump is just trying to end it

Fox News

President Trump didn’t start a trade war with China – he’s trying to end and win the trade war that China launched against the U.S. As the president has frequently pointed out, the Chinese have been undermining the world trade system for years, and no country has been hurt more by China’s unfair actions than America.

America’s trade deficit with China is so large it almost defies comprehension. Since 2012, our yearly deficit in the trade of goods with China has consistently topped $300 billion. Last year, it was over $375.5 billion. In the first five months of this year it topped $150 billion.

A primary reason for this imbalance is that the Chinese have been blocking American manufacturers and food producers for years through discriminatory trade rules and prohibitively expensive import tariffs designed to keep U.S. products out of its domestic markets.

It’s not that American firms are unable to compete with Chinese companies. Rather, it’s because China systematically takes measures to protect its industries and businesses from having to compete with American companies on a level playing field.

The Chinese government gives huge subsidies to its own firms and excludes foreign companies from doing business in China. It regulates foreign firms unfairly, blocks imports through dishonest health and safety rules, and creates China-specific standards to prevent market entry.

In addition, China forces foreign firms to transfer their technology to Chinese companies and comprehensively loots commercial secrets, especially from American firms.

No one (outside of Chinese officials) denies any of this. In March, the U.S.-China Economic and Security Review Commission – a bipartisan congressional advisory body – published a list of 10 ways China cheats on trade called “China’s Technonationalism Toolbox.”

This list includes China’s continued “pervasive industrial espionage against U.S. companies, universities, and the government” as well as China’s “direct efforts to circumvent U.S. export controls to gain access to cutting-edge technologies and intellectual property in strategic sectors.”

China’s subversion of world trading norms isn’t a bug in the nation’s economic system. It’s a feature.

Even Democrats recognize the importance of President Trump’s trade sanctions on China.

“We're now told that this is Trump's trade war,” Rep. Brad Sherman, D-Calif., said during a Foreign Affairs subcommittee hearing earlier this month. “No, China declared (a) trade war on the United States 18 years ago,” he continued, referring to the decision to normalize trade relations with China in 2000.

Both Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer of New York and Sen. Elizabeth Warren of Massachusetts, two of President Trump’s most vocal Democratic critics, are broadly supportive of the president’s measures to combat Chinese cheating.

“I have to say, when President Trump says he's putting tariffs on the table, I think tariffs are one part of reworking our trade policy overall," Warren told CNN in March.

“China takes total advantage of the United States. They steal our intellectual property using cyber theft,” Schumer noted in June. “Not only do they steal our intellectual property, they keep our good companies out, and say the only way you’re going to be able to sell your American products in China … is if you come to China.”

Because presidents before him avoided doing what was necessary to balance our trade relations with China, President Trump has to fight a trade war not of his own making. Fortunately for American workers, manufacturers and exporters, the president is fighting back against China and other nations that have been ripping off America for decades.

This will be a difficult struggle, because other nations are unwilling to give up the benefits of unfair trade. They will test President Trump’s resolve, particularly as we approach the midterm elections in November. But thanks to President Trump’s leadership, we are beginning to see that this is a war we can win.

In May, China agreed to slash car tariffs and import more American-made products due to President Trump’s tough negotiating skills.

Free trade requires fair trade, based on a common set of mutually beneficial rules. We finally have a president willing to take the actions necessary to put a stop to Chinese cheating and to protect America’s national interests.

President Trump isn’t just fighting to stop Chinese market manipulation. He’s fighting to secure a bright economic future for America and the American people.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 21150 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How one MN Farmer feels about the trade and $12 Billion Farm Subsidies

-----------------
Silenced on the net, Just like Trump

Posts: 578 | Location: SUX | Registered: May 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
“Farmers”?

“Farmers” are divided into two groups. The guys that farm 4,000 acres on 4 million on equipment, and guys that sit by the maul box and wait for the government support check to arrive.

I highly doubt the first group is “going democrat” because the relaxation in DNR rules by the Trump admin has made a lot of friends. The second group is loyal to whomever keeps the free government money coming.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37197 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Poacher
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by toms:
Link to info?

Sorry, don’t have one, just caught an IL farmer who heads a coalition of farmers bitching about it on Cavuto.

NRA Life Member

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Teddy Roosevelt

Posts: 2250 | Location: Newnan, GA USA | Registered: January 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
#plowaway?

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29910 | Location: Norris Lake, TN | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
I dunno. I’m a farmer and I’m not going leftist. I know a fair few farmers and none of them are going leftist. I know a few who were horrified by the Republican candidate, but would never vote Dim. All of the I have spoken with since may not be voting the President man of the year, but they have at least a grudging admiration of what he has accomplished so far and the direction he is going.

I’d be really interested to know what sort of farmer is pro-leftist. Would that be the organic, vegan, small plot, farmer’s market selling hippy kind, or something else?

Posts: 7101 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
“Farmers”?

“Farmers” are divided into two groups. The guys that farm 4,000 acres on 4 million on equipment, and guys that sit by the maul box and wait for the government support check to arrive.

I highly doubt the first group is “going democrat” because the relaxation in DNR rules by the Trump admin has made a lot of friends. The second group is loyal to whomever keeps the free government money coming.

Farmers are actually divided up into a lot more groups than that, but you are not wrong.

I’m a little conflicted. I am sure that the Department of Agriculture does some good stuff for us, but I am not sure that I wouldn’t favor shuttering the whole thing, sending everyone home, ending *ALL* agricultural subsidies and just letting us all figure it out on our own in a free market. Sure, there might be some pain in some areas, but the reduction in taxes (for everyone) to pay for these programs and the reduction in misallocation of resources would be a huge win. Basically, I trust Adam Smith’s Invisible Hand a whole lot more than I will ever trust the best intended government program.

Posts: 7101 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I figured large portions of them already did, otherwise we wouldn't have ethanol gas.

Posts: 21384 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post