SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Guy Buys Tank off eBay, Finds Gold Bullion in Fuel Tank
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Guy Buys Tank off eBay, Finds Gold Bullion in Fuel Tank Login/Join 
Picture of IntrepidTraveler
posted
So this Brit owns "Tanks-A-Lot" in England, where he buys old tanks and other military vehicles, restores them, and lets "petrolheads" drive them. He bought a Russian T54/69 off of eBay. During the restoration process, he finds five gold bullion bars in the gas tank, roughly valued at $2.5 million!!!

He called the police ("We didn’t know what to do. You can’t exactly take five gold bullion bars down to Cash Converters without questions being asked, so we called the police."). The police, of course, took away the gold, although they did give him a receipt. And, "A Northamptonshire Police spokesman said they could not comment 'for operational reasons'."

www.thesun.co.uk/news/3291710/...on-military-vehicle/

Thus the metric system did not really catch on in the States, unless you count the increasing popularity of the nine-millimeter bullet.
- Dave Barry

"Never go through life saying 'I should have'..." - quote from the 9/11 Boatlift Story (thanks, sdy for posting it)

Posts: 3302 | Location: Carlsbad NM/ Augusta GA | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Interesting. Could be a sequel to Oak Island Treasure. Looking for the owner.

Posts: 17263 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
As an employee of a local law enforcement agency I think my first phone call would have been to a lawyer.

Hopefully it works out well for the bloke.

Posts: 6375 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: January 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
What a complete idiot. Kiss that bullion goodbye.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5059 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4MUL8R:
What a complete idiot. Kiss that bullion goodbye.

Yup, he gonna get screwed, count on it.

Posts: 22940 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
I think my first phone call would have been to a lawyer.

First thing to do would be to tell nobody. Otherwise you'll likely loose it just like what probably happened with this guy. This is an older story, and I haven't seen any updates.

He's right. You can't just walk down the street with a huge gold bar and sell it without raising some questions. You could however buy yourself a torch, melt it into smaller amounts, and send it to refineries all over the world without a single question being raised.

Just pay the taxes on your new income, and you're good to go.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15727 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Police: "Well, Guvnah. We made some calls, yeah, and were not able to place the owner, so 'ere's your gold bullion... 'ave a nice day."

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43916 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^
OK. Good plan, but who owns the bullion? I don't store my gold in a gas tank. There is an owner somewhere.

Posts: 17263 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
I don't think Saddam is going to be asking for it back, anyway.

Posts: 6504 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
OK. Good plan, but who owns the bullion?

The guy who bought it in the tank. Unless noted otherwise, generally when a person buys something they own everything within.

Who owned the diesel fuel inside the tank? The same person that owned the gold inside the same tank.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15727 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
If the person he bought the tank from owned the gold, then the argument would be that ownership transferred to the purchaser. More likely, however, whoever put the gold in the tank wasn’t the owner and therefore the gold would legally belong to whomever it was stolen from. Legitimate ownership of stolen property doesn’t transfer to the thief.

6.4/93.6

Posts: 47412 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
These people that find treasure in weird places have some odd behaviors. Like the folks that found a coffee can full of 1800’s gold coins up in the California mountains on their property. STFU and lay it off quietly. The LAST people I’m calling is the law.

Posts: 4783 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
5 year old story.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
https://youtu.be/1sCo5GaDq7k

Dammit, how do I post a Youtube video these days?

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9173 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
I’d take up jewelry making. I’d also buy a safe. Maybe a Chubb Sovereign, the TRTL60x6 type.

Posts: 11002 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of IntrepidTraveler
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny 3eagles:
5 year old story.

Sorry about that. I heard it on the radio this morning (Kim Komando show) and thought it was interesting. Didn't check the date on the story.

BTW, Kim is known for her "dad-joke" style jokes and puns. Her joke for this one was that it was "Au-fully heavy". I groaned, and didn't even have to have it explained to me. I'm a sucker for dad jokes!

Thus the metric system did not really catch on in the States, unless you count the increasing popularity of the nine-millimeter bullet.
- Dave Barry

"Never go through life saying 'I should have'..." - quote from the 9/11 Boatlift Story (thanks, sdy for posting it)

Posts: 3302 | Location: Carlsbad NM/ Augusta GA | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Probably a part of a smelt of 600. They vanished in 1944 When the Nazis were on the run.

Posts: 23556 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There’s a sucker born every minute.

Posts: 507 | Registered: February 14, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
If the person he bought the tank from owned the gold, then the argument would be that ownership transferred to the purchaser. More likely, however, whoever put the gold in the tank wasn’t the owner and therefore the gold would legally belong to whomever it was stolen from. Legitimate ownership of stolen property doesn’t transfer to the thief.

"Always with the negative waves Moriarty, always with the negative waves."

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43916 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by a1abdj:
quote:
OK. Good plan, but who owns the bullion?

The guy who bought it in the tank. Unless noted otherwise, generally when a person buys something they own everything within.

Who owned the diesel fuel inside the tank? The same person that owned the gold inside the same tank.

Absolutely right. You bought it. For that you get the head, the tail, the whole damn thing.

I had a woman who had bought a 10 year old Ford from an individual ask me what kind of warranty coverage she had. I told her she had that 'Oklahoma warranty': If it breaks in half, she owns both pieces.

Posts: 7269 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post