SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anybody do a Spartan race?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anybody do a Spartan race? Login/Join 
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
Spartan is a grocery store...right?

I run to Spartan's when donuts are on sale. Big Grin

Posts: 13681 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I haven't done a Spartan, but many of my friends have and do. I also do GORUCK challenges.

Posts: 500 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: December 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
this thread has me looking at the Dec 8th one here in Central FL...

---------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bunch of savages
in this town
Picture of ASKSmith
posted Hide Post
Forgot to add a lot of these events do last minutes sales, if they have spots available. Just a suggestion, but you might want to look. I’d never pay full price.

I’ve had friends agree to do it, sign up and pay, and not show up.

-----------------
I apologize now...

Posts: 10552 | Registered: December 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Tomorrow's *high* temperature forecast has dropped by 10 degrees.
Eek!

God bless America.

Posts: 13503 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, it's too late to train.....

I think you ought to approach this as a learning opportunity. Afterwards you'll come up with a list of lessons learned and whether you'd ever sign up again. I haven't done these obstacle course-type races, but they look fun. I'm not into fun. I'm into suffering.......hence 25 marathons and 10 Ironmans (halfs/fulls).

P229

Posts: 3825 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Russ59:
25 marathons and 10 Ironmans (halfs/fulls).

Eek Bolder than me, sir!

God bless America.

Posts: 13503 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
I did the TriFecta several years ago, as a team with the goal to finish togyand have fun.

I want to run a few again but I’m to far out of shape now. That’s my goal for 2019.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8344 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Okay, y'all, that was a TON of fun!! Cool

A week ago I would have said, "I'll do this one, but probably not another one." Right now, as I sit here tired and sore I'm thinking, "I"d do that again!"

As I left the house, it was 41 degrees and rain, and I thought, "this is gonna suck!" As race time neared, the clouds parted and the sun powered through. It wasn't warm, but it wasn't so darned cold, either. I shed a layer and Mike and I hopped to it.

The hay bales were a breeze, the barbed wire got me a couple of times, I smacked the heck out of the bell at the end of the monkey bars, and the dunk wall wasn't too bad. The Atlas stone wasn't as tough to deal with as I thought it would be (I got a dry one!), the cargo nets were fun, and the bucket carry was a booger. Next up was the sandbag carry, and that absolutely sucked!! I'm not sure what those bags are supposed to weigh, but mine felt like it was heavier than a sack of Quickcrete. I dropped the darned thing climbing up out of the creek, and couldn't pick it back up by myself. Mike's seemed even heavier.

Spear throw? Check! Olympus? Ugh. Rope climb? No way... I've got some technique learning to do there. With a boost from Mike I was over the 6' and 7' walls in a jiffy, and (not to be too bold about it) I frickin' killed the inverted wall. I surprised myself on that one... took like 5 seconds to get over it.

More mud, hanging rings, another creek crossing, and the fire pit. Pictures, some kind of recovery drink, and beer next.

Thanks for the encouragement, SF friends! Yesterday was bloody awesome.

God bless America.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vthoky:

nice !

did you pay full freight or are there discounts out there floating around?

--------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Mike signed me up last spring and covered the fee -- I'm thinking it was $120. Friday night there were still spots open, but -- like airline tickets -- the closer to race time you enter, the more expensive it is. The fees I saw Friday night were in the $150 range. There are discounts out there, I'm told, but I don't have details.

I did hear mention yesterday that if you serve as a volunteer for a race, you can get race for free. There were some cards handed out yesterday, too, offering discounts for signing up for your next race right then and there.

God bless America.

You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
http://www.beattheblerch.com/

This, for me. Couches, cupcakes, red wine.

I will finish.

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happiness is
Vectored Thrust
Picture of mojojojo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vthoky:

A week ago I would have said, "I'll do this one, but probably not another one." Right now, as I sit here tired and sore I'm thinking, "I"d do that again!"

Told ya! Cool Congrats!

Icarus flew too close to the sun, but at least he flew.

Posts: 6731 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: April 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Thanks, mojo!

I said before that we were in it for completion rather than for competition. Our exit time was a few ticks under 2 hours 20 minutes -- Mike's got more strong than he has quick, and by golly I was grateful for his strong!

I'd love to get a copy of the course map, but so far I've not found it on the Spartan web site -- I'd frame the darned thing. Cool

Seems there's a Sprint in Atlanta in two weeks, and one in Concord next April....

- - -

quote:
Originally posted by RNshooter:
http://www.beattheblerch.com/

Cake at every aid station? Excellent!

God bless America.

Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
Old thread but it was the one that made me look into doing some of these races. A few years later and I've gotten where I can compete and even enjoy tough mudder races.

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One of my lifelong friends is a sports medicine PT locally here in NH.

Excluding elderly rehab, more than 50% of their business is generated from Cross Fit and Cross-Fit type races/events.

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Wow, it's hard to believe it's been almost three years since my Spartan race. I've gotten a little flabby since... I need to get back to some exercise/training!

I'd do a Spartan again, I think... I'm not sure about a Tough Mudder, though.

God bless America.

posted Hide Post
Funny! I was thinking this was a current post until I saw my old reply. I've added on a half Ironman since, with a marathon in three weeks and full Ironman in 10 weeks.

The advice remains - get out there and have fun. Sometimes signing up is enough to motivate you to train.

P229

Posts: 3825 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post