SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Deputy Killed-Here's a SOB who needs to be put under the jail
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Deputy Killed-Here's a SOB who needs to be put under the jail Login/Join 
Picture of HayesGreener
posted
This from the area where I worked in Pinellas County for 20 years. This idiot driver had no business being out on the street. Another example of the scourge of DUI drivers
https://www.odmp.org/officer/2...heriff-michael-magli
MICHAEL MAGLI
Deputy Sheriff Michael Magli was struck and killed by a drunk driver who fled at a high rate of speed after a sheriff's sergeant attempted to stop him.

Deputies and rescue personnel had responded to reports of a subject passed out behind the wheel of a vehicle at the intersection of Forelock Road and East Lake Road. The man was unresponsive, so paramedics broke the vehicle's window. The man suddenly awoke and accelerated at a high rate of speed. When the sergeant attempted to stop him the man fled again, driving recklessly, and crossing over the median into oncoming traffic.

Deputy Magli was preparing to deploy spike strips when the driver lost control, overturned, and struck him. He was pinned beneath his patrol car and succumbed to his injuries.

The driver, who had 16 felony convictions and was out on parole, was arrested in connection with this incident.

He is survived by his wife, two young children, and parents.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4359 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ops cwo
posted Hide Post
With 16 felony convictions, why was he ever on parole?

Posts: 266 | Registered: August 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ops cwo:

Because lazy, incompetent, corrupt prosecutors and politically appointed judicial slime.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
And yet there are an astonishing number of people who believe that something like that doesn’t deserve to be put away forever, if not strung up in public and left as an example to others. If it had been one of their loved ones who was killed, most of them would be screaming for vengeance, but of course it seldom is.

Condolences to all concerned.

6.4/93.6

Posts: 47412 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
Another senseless death because of liberalism. Mad

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
The guy proved he was never going to contribute to society multiple times. Why bother warehousing him. Punch his ticket and move on.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5689 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Why always the good ones? The criminals live on, not right Lord.

Rest In Peace officer, Lord help his family find peace in this world.

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
This is very very sad. My heart goes out to the Sheriffs friends and family.

I like the idea of "the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few" for criminals. If you get to a certain number of felony convictions you get to spend the rest of your life in jail. Lets say 3 depending on what they were for.
Obviously you can't be reformed and you loose your right to be among the rest of humanity because you have proven you cant be trusted.

I was looking for a story I saw where several individuals were committing crimes and were arrested. They all had multiple felony convictions. If I remember correctly one was only 16 years old with multiple felony convictions.
At what point does society say enough is enough.

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2574 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:

If the general public had any idea how disgustingly common this is, they'd be outraged. We encounter this literally every day around here, and I work in a very conservative county. It's also a small county...small enough that we deal with the same people over and over. Most of them are either out on probation or parole, or have multiple arrests and charges stacked up, but court system is so slow that it can literally take years for a conviction to happen. So they release them OR 48 hours after we arrest them and they're back on the streets to do it again.

Posts: 8638 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I remember him from when I taught at the Police
Academy. Nice kid, always seems to happen that way.

Bob

Posts: 1577 | Location: TampaBay | Registered: May 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you decide to follow this story, watch and see if his lawyer doesn't try to get charges reduced or a plea bargain because, "it was an accident".

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16116 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
And yet there are an astonishing number of people who believe that something like that doesn’t deserve to be put away forever, if not strung up in public and left as an example to others.

I'm not a believer in life sentences. I'm a believer in the firing squad and electric chair. We don't need to waste anymore tax payer money.

Posts: 13144 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
I had to go to traffic court once years ago for a ticket I got.

While I was waiting they brought up a guy for his 6th DUI and also for driving on a suspended license(suspended for DUI).

The judge ordered him to pay a $100.00 fine and gave him 1 more year of probation.

Without thinking, I said "that'll teach him."

The judge had me hauled up in front of him and spend a few minutes telling me what he thought of me and threatened to find me in contempt of court.

You never want to piss off a judge, I guess.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
This is the product of the limp wristed panty waisted judicial system that refuses to enforce the laws as written and on the books because they do not agree with the sentences. Do the crime then you must do the time. PERIOD. Why do we have repeat offenders so often is because they do not have to worry about concequencies because their lawyer gets them off with a slap on the wrist multible times if action is ever taken. Actually took into custody a hit and run driver for a DWI accident w/injury (13th offense DWI and multible driving under supension/ revocation charges) and he had not spent more than 24hrs in jail prior to this incident. Money and good lawyers to get around the system.. Lady Justice is supposed to be blind BUT NOT deaf and stupid ................. drill sgt.

Posts: 2021 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
And yet there are an astonishing number of people who believe that something like that doesn’t deserve to be put away forever, if not strung up in public and left as an example to others. If it had been one of their loved ones who was killed, most of them would be screaming for vengeance, but of course it seldom is.

Condolences to all concerned.

Didn't China Joe say DWI should not be a Felony?

RIP Deputy

Posts: 5749 | Location: Chicago | Registered: August 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
Back to the DUI issue, and how many felonies you can get. I'd agree as soon as they stop stacking charges. The hobby seems to be add as many charges as they can for the same incident.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18389 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny 3eagles:
quote:

Because lazy, incompetent, corrupt prosecutors and politically appointed judicial slime.

I'd say that about covers it. Too bad those corrupt prosecutors cannot be charged as accomplices.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25644 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:
I had to go to traffic court once years ago for a ticket I got.

While I was waiting they brought up a guy for his 6th DUI and also for driving on a suspended license(suspended for DUI).

The judge ordered him to pay a $100.00 fine and gave him 1 more year of probation.

Without thinking, I said "that'll teach him."

The judge had me hauled up in front of him and spend a few minutes telling me what he thought of me and threatened to find me in contempt of court.

You never want to piss off a judge, I guess.

When our daughter was 20 years old she was working night shift and on her way home from work. Drunk driver crossed the center line and hit her head on. She spent 3 weeks in intensive care, died 3 times while there, and was resuscitated each time. The drunk never spent a second in jail even tho he had been arrested 3 times for drunk driving. A big rig driver, too. The judge said he had to go to remedial driving school.

We could not figure that one out, until the judge got arrested for drunk driving at 0730 when he parked his car on the sidewalk. And no charges filed on the judge for that, either.

And our daughter is still suffering from the injuries.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25644 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
I am a firm believer that if a judge grants a lenient bail and the accused commits another crime while on that bail, the judge should be held liable for the release and accountable to the victims of the second crime.

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3356 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
The Pinellas County Sheriff's Office said Robert Allen Holzaepfel, 33, was being chased by deputies in the area of East Lake Road and Forelock Road when he lost control of his truck and hit Deputy Michael Magli, who was in a median retrieving and deploying stop sticks.

https://www.wfla.com/news/pine...faces-murder-charge/

Bobby A. faces murder charges.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post