SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    CAD users and 3D printers - Input on Fusion 360 please.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

CAD users and 3D printers - Input on Fusion 360 please. Login/Join 
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted
Since I got the 3D printer, I've been using TinkerCAD to produce my 3D drawings and having pretty good success with it.

I'm familiar with the basic functions of AutoCAD in 2D from way back in Version 13 and miss having functions like offset, fillet, endpoint, centerpoint, circular and polar arrays and suchlike.

Scanning a couple of Fusion 360 tutorial videos I see the same or very similar functions, which I guess shouldn't be surprising seeing as it's an Autodesk product.

It appears they have a non-commercial/hobby user free version. There are some blocked functions (mostly 3 and 5 axis CNC related, which I wouldn't need anyway) and I guess you have to "qualify" annually so you don't try to abuse the privilege.

Anybody using it? Any hassles with the free version?

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15528 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
Since I got the 3D printer, I've been using TinkerCAD to produce my 3D drawings and having pretty good success with it.

I'm familiar with the basic functions of AutoCAD in 2D from way back in Version 13 and miss having functions like offset, fillet, endpoint, centerpoint, circular and polar arrays and suchlike.

Scanning a couple of Fusion 360 tutorial videos I see the same or very similar functions, which I guess shouldn't be surprising seeing as it's an Autodesk product.

It appears they have a non-commercial/hobby user free version. There are some blocked functions (mostly 3 and 5 axis CNC related, which I wouldn't need anyway) and I guess you have to "qualify" annually so you don't try to abuse the privilege.

Anybody using it? Any hassles with the free version?

Been using it lightly for 5-6 years. It has gotten a lot better & yes, it's at least familiar for those of us that started on AutoCAD floppies.
They just updated the freebie license where you can only have 10 files 'editable' at any given time, so it's a pain in the ass if you have more than that. I deleted a bunch of scribbles & still have ~50. Of course, the only 1 I've been working on actively in the last 2-3 months was one of the ones they set to read only, so I got to figure out how to unfuck it right away. Other than the annoyances, it's the best free CAD program out there.

Posts: 3329 | Location: IN | Registered: January 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by snidera:

Been using it lightly for 5-6 years. It has gotten a lot better & yes, it's at least familiar for those of us that started on AutoCAD floppies.
They just updated the freebie license where you can only have 10 files 'editable' at any given time, so it's a pain in the ass if you have more than that. I deleted a bunch of scribbles & still have ~50. Of course, the only 1 I've been working on actively in the last 2-3 months was one of the ones they set to read only, so I got to figure out how to unfuck it right away. Other than the annoyances, it's the best free CAD program out there.

I read a blurb where if you run out of space, you can "archive" files and open up other to edit.

Can't see that being a problem for me.

Question: Can you save files locally or do they all have to be on "the cloud"?

Posts: 15528 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ACTEG
posted Hide Post
I’m using sketch up 2017. I think they only have a cloud based free version now, which isn’t as good as the previous free download version.

Overall I like it and have made many things - multi tools, powerheads for spear fishing, push button reels, ... all kinds of stuff.

Posts: 3590 | Registered: March 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Well, I downloaded the installer for the "home" version, but it won't run because my copy of WIN7 is missing a .dll file. I've run into that a couple of times recently.

So, much as I hate to, I'm upgrading to a WIN10 box. No way no how I'm going to try to get it to run on my old box.

Got a refurb Dell with 16GB RAM and a 512G SSD coming, that oughta run it okay.

posted Hide Post
Have you tried installing the missing .dll? https://wikidll.com/

I'm alright it's the rest of the world that's all screwed up!

Posts: 1370 | Location: Southern Michigan | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by triggertreat:

I did, and it ran for a few extra seconds and then crashed on another missing .dll

I can see that cascading into an all-day project. Passamundo. It's time I bit the bullet and upgraded my OS anyway.

Dirty Boat Guy
Picture of parallel
posted Hide Post
Our FIRST Robotics Team uses Fusion 360 for design and CAD/CAM to fabricate parts for the robots. It's a fairly robust program.

A penny saved is a government oversight.

Posts: 6708 | Location: New Orleans Area | Registered: January 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
quote:
Originally posted by triggertreat:

I did, and it ran for a few extra seconds and then crashed on another missing .dll

I can see that cascading into an all-day project. Passamundo. It's time I bit the bullet and upgraded my OS anyway.

A computer built in the Win7 days will likely struggle with F360. you might need some gfx oomph. I'm using a laptop with i5-3xxx & it runs OK. Better on my i7-7700 with AMD R460 at home.

You can save locally, but it will automatically upload them to the cloud. I'm sure it's so the chicoms can steal ideas easier (sarcasm)

Posts: 3329 | Location: IN | Registered: January 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Greymann
posted Hide Post
No experience with fusion.
Solidworks has a pretty good cad.
They have a trial version and a student version. Take a look.

https://my.solidworks.com/try-...eb-804f-11cda6a5e96c

I've also have used Bobcad and is also good. They have a trial version.

https://bobcad.com/the-advanta...cam-for-3d-printing/

Before I retired, the shop I worked at I used an old version of Espirt and
Unigraphics NX ( Cadillac of cad-cam)
Both too expensive.

Posts: 1663 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: March 21, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post