SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Standalone WiFi streaming music player/speaker??
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Standalone WiFi streaming music player/speaker?? Login/Join 
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted
I am guessing these may not exist anymore. I have used a Logitec Squeezebox for probably 15 years now to stream Pandora.
It’s a wifi/ethernet speaker with screen and built in apps.
Logitech has decided to screw me again and discontinue supporting the Squeezebox just like they have with my Harmony remote.
Except with the Squeezebox it is just speaker now.

I don’t want to have to connect to my phone. Just the house wifi and I would like to utilize Pandora, Amazon Music, SiriusXM (app).

No Smart listening Alexa or Siri nonsense!!!!!!

I am afraid this might be wishful thinking and I am just going to have to buy a Sonos One.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25426 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
WiiM Pro, Plus or Amp.
Of course if you have money to burn: Sonos.

Posts: 22912 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Save an Elephant
Kill a Poacher
Picture of urbanwarrior238
posted Hide Post
I use Sonos

'I am the danger'...Hiesenberg
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Rifle Instructor
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1376 | Location: Escaped from Kalifornia to Arizona February 2022! | Registered: March 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
WiiM Pro, Plus or Amp.
Of course if you have money to burn: Sonos.

None of those appear to be stand alone. I am looking for something that has a speaker of its own.

————————————————

quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
I imagine there is something out there besides those all-in-one sans the Alexa-data-harvesting-type but if you get the WiiM Amp, all you need to do is attach a couple bookshelf speakers in any size desired.
The other WiiM models you could run through any existing audio system.
Maybe look at any recent Smart TV, they also might be able to spin up some tunes.

Good Luck.

Posts: 22912 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
I'll second Sonos, you'll like it.

Posts: 3457 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
I imagine there is something out there besides those all-in-one sans the Alexa-data-harvesting-type but if you get the WiiM Amp, all you need to do is attach a couple bookshelf speakers in any size desired.
The other WiiM models you could run through any existing audio system.
Maybe look at any recent Smart TV, they also might be able to spin up some tunes.

Good Luck.

I move this to multiple locations so that is not very conducive.

quote:
Originally posted by mark60:
I'll second Sonos, you'll like it.

Does Sonos accommodate the SiriusXM app?

I have heard the Symfonisk (Sonos) speakers from IKEA sound just as good for a few bucks cheaper.
Anyone familiar?

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/s...mart-gen-2-20506584/

————————————————

Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
Sonos Move at my house. Sonos uses your phone for the music. I typically use Spotify but I believe any music service will work

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4224 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Invest Early, Invest Often
Picture of TomV
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX

Does Sonos accommodate the SiriusXM app?

Yes, you can play SiriusXM through the Sonos app.

Posts: 1348 | Location: Escaped California...Now In Sunny, Southern Utah | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mcrimm:
Sonos Move at my house. Sonos uses your phone for the music. I typically use Spotify but I believe any music service will work

Does it use your phone or WiFi?

I don’t particularly want my phone connected to the thing but I am afraid that will not be an option Like my squeezebox.
But my understanding with Sonos the phone is just the remote essentially. That the Sonos actually is connected to WiFi and streams the music from WiFi. Not casting or having my phone as the source of the media.

I want to be able to walk to the other side of my house and have my phone in my pocket and not loose connection on the Speaker/decice.

————————————————

Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
Sonos doesn't stream from your phone but you use the app to use it. Sirius/XM, apple music, spotify, pandora, just about everything I think.

Posts: 3457 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
So it appears I was not calling it the correct thing.
Turns out what I am looking for are called internet radios and there are actually quite a few out there.
Even one that looks to be pretty much a copy of the Squeezebox I have.

Grace Digital and Ocean Digital seem to be the leaders.

Grace Digital Mondo elite appears to be a squeezebox copy.
https://gracedigital.com/products/mondo-elite

————————————————

posted Hide Post

Posts: 636 | Registered: April 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
I'm a little surprised that nobody has come out with a "boom box" that is Internet/streaming-enabled. Now there's an idea...convert my old dust collector that I keep around in case I ever have to copy or rip a cassette to such with the aid of a Pi Zero. The UI might be a concern, but there's always VNC. Walking around with it on your shoulder is, of course, mandatory!

Whoops, the Mondo specified in a prior post appears to be one such.

Posts: 6479 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by architect:
I'm a little surprised that nobody has come out with a "boom box" that is Internet/streaming-enabled.

I think that is what he has/had and what he is looking for amongst the features of what he was reviewing.

On a side note, a bluetooth speaker could do most of the same albeit the work would be done on the phone or other source device.

The all-in-one-including-speaker(s) device that could stream directly from the Internet, controlled but not just casting is what appears he is looking for.

Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm a little surprised that nobody has come out with a "boom box" that is Internet/streaming-enabled.

This is what I first thought of when I read the OP.

I see a lot of streaming units that don't need a phone or external device, but don't have a self-contained amp/speaker. Maybe one of these units plugged into a small powered speaker...

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16706 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I think that is what he has/had and what he is looking for amongst the features of what he was reviewing.

On a side note, a bluetooth speaker could do most of the same albeit the work would be done on the phone or other source device.

The all-in-one-including-speaker(s) device that could stream directly from the Internet, controlled but not just casting is what appears he is looking for.

Correct. I do not want my phone to be the source of the media.
I generally have the speaker in the front garage or back deck and I am moving all about or don’t have my phone on me.
So if the phone is the source it constantly is connecting or disconnecting.
Or if the kids are outside playing ball and want to listen to music I or my phone does not have to be there.

I may just suck it up and get a Sonos One or the Symfoniks from Ikeas.
Get one for the deck and one for the garage then I don’t have to take it anywhere.
But need my phone as a remote which is not the end of the world however not ideal but at least the phone is not the source and elevates cutting in and out as I am not in the same area.

————————————————

thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Our solution has been to keep most recent phone as backup and to use for this source. Alternatively you might be able to pick up a cheap used phone as source?

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12420 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post