SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Scanner - Printer vs Printer - Scanner
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Scanner - Printer vs Printer - Scanner Login/Join 
#DrainTheSwamp
Picture of P229 357SIG Man
posted
Is there a difference? I need one for home use and will be doing 90% scanning 10% monochrome printing.

P226 9 mm
P229 .357 SIG
Glock 17
AR15 Spikes - Noveske - Daniel Defense Frankenbuild

Posts: 944 | Location: Glen Allen, Virginia | Registered: January 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
Besides the obvious, one can scan, the other can't? Obviously, copier and fax functionality requires the scanning capability. If you are asking about print quality, I see no differences other than the technology used for printing, laser, ink jet, etc. I have found that the multi-page scanner feed mechanisms tend to be significantly more flimsy than the paper feeds, and a weak spot in most MFPs.

Posts: 6470 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Is there a difference? Not that I'm aware of, especially when talking for home use. I've had two different ones over the past decade plus and am just recently in the market for a new one. Some things to consider.
From a technology perspective not much has changed over the past 5+ years. The push has been around printing home photos which for either of us is a non factor.
Scanning - Document feeder or not. In your case, and mine less so, you want one with the top loading document feeder vs. only being able to lay a single page on the flatbed scanner.
Volume - What seperates the different models in any different brand is usually centered around how quickly the machine can print / scan. So things like scans per minute or pages per minute come in to play which is more important for small workplace style offerings.
I've had great luck with Brother and Epson over the years for my needs. Never saw the value in buying an HP or Canon for mostly black and white document printing.

Posts: 220 | Location: ATL | Registered: June 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
#DrainTheSwamp
posted Hide Post
My feature list would include a document feeder and two sided scanning.

Some Questions...

Do scanners store the image on an internal hard drive?

How would I transfer the image to my MacBook?

Do they come with organizing software so the image will drop into a particular folder?

P226 9 mm
P229 .357 SIG
Glock 17

Posts: 944 | Location: Glen Allen, Virginia | Registered: January 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rover88
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P229 357SIG Man:
Some Questions...

Do scanners store the image on an internal hard drive?

How would I transfer the image to my MacBook?

Do they come with organizing software so the image will drop into a particular folder?

I think most all SOHO units have no internal hard drive.

Generally when you scan it scans directly to the host PC.

The GUI interface has always allowed me to select destination folders. In my case, I dump them all to a folder named "Scan" then go in to rename and move to wherever they belong.

Posts: 640 | Location: Johnstown, PA | Registered: February 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rover88:

They do frequently have a USB port you can plug a USB stick into and/or an SD Card slot you cut plug a memory card into if you want to scan without directly involving a computer.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rover88
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maladat:
quote:
Originally posted by Rover88:

They do frequently have a USB port you can plug a USB stick into and/or an SD Card slot you cut plug a memory card into if you want to scan without directly involving a computer.

Yeah, I forgot about that because I never use that feature. Good catch!

Posts: 640 | Location: Johnstown, PA | Registered: February 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
#DrainTheSwamp
posted Hide Post
After looking around on Brother's website...this one might be the one for me....

https://www.brother-usa.com/products/MFCL2750DW

P226 9 mm
P229 .357 SIG
Glock 17