SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Despite the lawyers, I got some talcum powder
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Despite the lawyers, I got some talcum powder Login/Join 
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted
I use talcum powder as a dry lubricant for certain purposes. It’s a white, much less messy, alternative to powdered graphite:

“Manufacturers crush, dry and mill it [talc] into a fine, soft, white powder called talcum powder. The powder serves as a lubricant and adds softness and shine to products…”

www.drugwatch.com/talcum-powder/

I used to buy Johnson & Johnson baby powder, but as a result of the damned lawsuits, all brands of baby powder in my stores are now cornstarch, rather than talcum powder. But I finally found real talcum powder on Amazon:

www.amazon.com/dp/B00QUK0FU4/r..._api_i_6vxmFbP1SQW4E

I’d prefer an unscented product, but little chance of that, and the scent of this Maja product is pleasant and not too intense.

BTW – talc defines the “1” level of the Mohs mineral hardness scale. Thought that you’d like to know that. Smile

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8955 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Good for lubricating what? If you don't mind saying.

But if you wanted unscented, why not something like this:

https://www.artistsupplysource...d6OZNchoC94EQAvD_BwE

Searching for “talc powder” turned up many other offerings as well, but is that something different from what you’re seeking?

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
I always found that cocaine powder does a much better job of lubrication than talcum powder, liquor works pretty well too, just takes a little longer.

Posts: 6475 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Original style Gold Bond is still make with talcum powder. They came out with a talc-free "Ultimate" version for those who are worried, but still offer the original formulas. Look for the O.G. gold or green bottles.

Posts: 32509 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Comic Relief
Picture of Eponym
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
But I finally found real talcum powder on Amazon:

www.amazon.com/dp/B00QUK0FU4/r..._api_i_6vxmFbP1SQW4E
Did you read the list of ingredients? Sounds scary. Eek Eek Eek Smile

Posts: 4818 | Location: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: September 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Just keep it from getting in your ovaries. Eek

Posts: 22909 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:

My junk, especially after a run or on hot days. As soon as I saw the P&G news, I jumped up and went to Amazon. Got six bottles before they ran out. It really pisses me off. My chances of contracting cervical cancer are zero, but I can’t use it because of the risk.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8218 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kuisis
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by sigfreund:

You had to ask. Smile

Posts: 1129 | Location: Washington PA | Registered: November 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
Somewhere along the line someone told me to use talc or baby powder on parts of a Crossbreed holster. They can start making noises that reminded me of Barney Fife's holster whenever he would sit in Andy's leather desk chair and call Jaunita over at the diner.

Smile

Posts: 7257 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
<snip>

I’ve used it for several purposes, but my immediate need…

I use Scotch Brite Lint Rollers – great for getting hair off jackets, and lint off bed sheets, etc. you can buy them mounted on handles, but I buy the refills instead:

www.amazon.com/dp/B01GQMJLTG/r..._api_i_E3tnFbGEH4YW3

For several reasons:

* Stores more compactly
* The ones on handles seem wrong-handed to me when I tear off a sheet. I put them on “the other way”.
* The handles have a sharpish flash line where the two halves are joined. My very old handle is perfectly smooth and comfortable to hold.

But sometimes when I put on a new refill it doesn’t roll easily. The talcum powder is a sure fix for that.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8955 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Is it legal to bring it back from Mexico, seeing as you live in Sandy Eggo?

Posts: 11846 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shiftyvtec
posted Hide Post
As a lubricant, it is used on bicycle tubes to help it glide into place during inflation within the tire.

Posts: 1568 | Location: Near Austin, TX | Registered: December 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
i had a friend who used it for years. Died of ovarian cancer. Coincidence? don't know.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19188 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
I still have a bottle of vintage Yardley invisible shaving talc in my medicine cabinet.

Not my picture

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16219 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
I use talcum powder for cleaning and polishing swords, and yes, I had to order it special due to the lawsuits.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16355 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
Just avoid using it around the VJJ's

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8357 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:
I use talcum powder for cleaning and polishing swords,

I'd like to know more about this....

Posts: 8357 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by downtownv:
quote:

It's what's included in most commercial sword care kits. In the old days they used powdered whetstone which actually did polish. Talcum is very mildly abrasive, and mostly just sops up excess oil. But it's better than cornstarch!

Katana Maintenance

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16355 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by downtownv:
quote:

It's what's included in most commercial sword care kits. In the old days they used powdered whetstone which actually did polish. Talcum is very mildly abrasive, and mostly just sops up excess oil. But it's better than cornstarch!

Katana Maintenance

Thanks, loved the video all done in a silk Suit!

Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
It's also excellent for soothing inflamed skin (I have eczema).

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."