Cool chart - The Evolution of Standard Oil

https://www.visualcapitalist.c...lution-standard-oil/

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"
January 01, 2018, 01:34 PM
roberth
Neat, thanks

January 01, 2018, 04:20 PM
sjtill
I look forward to future similar charts for Google, Facebook....

January 01, 2018, 07:23 PM
mikeyspizza
And, whether we are better of or not is still not clear.
January 01, 2018, 07:28 PM
bigwagon
About 40 years ago my parents bought me one stock share each in Texaco and Standard Oil. Somehow over the decades those morphed into shares of BP and Chevron.
January 01, 2018, 07:56 PM
Sailor1911
Cool. Would love to see that for ATT and all of its breakups and mergers.

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016
January 01, 2018, 08:12 PM
Scooter123
Back when I was in High School and College I used to work for SOHIO. One little tidbit is that SOHIO actually stands for Standard Oil Here In Ohio.

Back in the days before they were acquired by BP it was a pretty good outfit to work for. Most of the stations were company owned and operated so they had to meet specific standards for cleanlines, service, and pleasent attitudes towards customers. One aspect of this was that each customer was to be greeted with the phrase "Hi, fill it up with Boron". It became so ingrained when one of the company VP's called to check on his car which was in for new tires and an oil change I answered the phone with the fill it up with Boron greeting. He was so amused by that he called the route supervisor and told him to give us all a pat on the back for being so well trained.

I've stopped counting.
January 01, 2018, 08:15 PM
LS1 GTO
From 34 companies to less than 5.

How long till it's 1 again?

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

January 01, 2018, 08:23 PM
shovelhead
The Standard Oil Company of Indiana, until the late 1970's I never heard of the Amoco brand. Regional use of the name American Oil in Indiana and Kentucky and Standard Oil in Michigan. They shared the same logo, a oval sign in red, white and the name in blue across the center. We sold Amoco branded products from the late 1960's through early 70's branded Amoco, tires batteries and eight track tape players come to mind. Somewhere Atlas products was tied in, filters, tune up parts, tires and batteries along with shop equipment like tire balancers and changers , engine scopes, battery chargers and if I remember correctly disposable supplies like soaps and paper products.

And now I understand where the name Socony came from,first letters of Standard Oil Company Of New York.

I was not aware that Marathon was part of Standard Oil though, always thought of that as a independent regional brand.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)
January 01, 2018, 08:27 PM
radioman
quote:
Originally posted by Sailor1911:
Cool. Would love to see that for ATT and all of its breakups and mergers.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!
January 01, 2018, 08:28 PM
Gustofer
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:

And Amazon.

quote:
Originally posted by Scooter123:
One little tidbit is that SOHIO actually stands for Standard Oil Here In Ohio.

I presume that Esso is SO, or Standard Oil, as well.

Neat chart, thanks for posting.

January 01, 2018, 08:38 PM
radioman
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:

And Amazon.

Not that long ago, there was talk of a Microsoft breakup. Now, nobody is concerned about Microsoft. Odd how the invisible hand works sometimes.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!
January 01, 2018, 10:22 PM
Rey HRH
thanks for both the oil and att charts. Very interesting.

I knew about the at&t breakup but not the oil one.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.
January 02, 2018, 06:36 AM
Opus Dei
quote:
Originally posted by Scooter123:
Back when I was in High School and College I used to work for SOHIO. One little tidbit is that SOHIO actually stands for Standard Oil Here In Ohio.

Back in the days before they were acquired by BP it was a pretty good outfit to work for. Most of the stations were company owned and operated so they had to meet specific standards for cleanlines, service, and pleasent attitudes towards customers. One aspect of this was that each customer was to be greeted with the phrase "Hi, fill it up with Boron". It became so ingrained when one of the company VP's called to check on his car which was in for new tires and an oil change I answered the phone with the fill it up with Boron greeting. He was so amused by that he called the route supervisor and told him to give us all a pat on the back for being so well trained.
I recall seeing SOHIO signs at oil/gas fields in South Texas. I never knew that was a retail products company.

Aside: I also used to see signs for Brooklyn Union Gas at some wells in the same area. A gauger told me that those wells were quite old; going back to the 1920s. He said that was the natural gas provider around NYC and there was a "pay or take" contract between them and the mineral owners for (I think) 99 years on production. Fortunately, it seemed there was ample production where the mineral owners didn't have to purchase gas on the market to fulfill the contract.
January 02, 2018, 07:32 AM
Bassamatic
Thinking back, the first credit card I ever got was for Standard Oil. That would have been around 1967 or 68.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.
January 02, 2018, 07:47 AM
Edmond
Fascinating chart.

Is Marathon considered top tier gas?

IIRC, Chevron, ExxonMobil and BP are considered top tier gas.

January 02, 2018, 09:12 AM
BurtonRW
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
Fascinating chart.

Yes. Marathon is also top tier.

http://www.toptiergas.com/licensedbrands/

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A
January 02, 2018, 09:20 AM
Georgeair
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
Fascinating chart.

Yes.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

January 02, 2018, 10:01 AM
heathtx
The charts showing the evolution of these businesses are really cool.

Not to nit pick, the AT&T chart only shows the provider spinoffs. I does not show what happened in the Lucent and Bell Laboratories arms. If it showed all aspects, it would be MUCH (sic) more complicated.
January 02, 2018, 01:28 PM
FishOn
The Rockefellers is a great book. Even if you only read the first half, describing how John Sr. started and grew the company. Highly recommended.

https://www.amazon.com/Rockefe...ollier/dp/0030083710