SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Audio-Visual/Home Theater Mavens - Step in
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Audio-Visual/Home Theater Mavens - Step in Login/Join 
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted
Friends have a sort of "Home Theater" system their Son-in-Law set up for them. I've added a ROKU to it so they can stream Netflix, but I've run into an audio problem.

The heart of the system is an Onkyo TX-NR626 AV Receiver. Inputs are a DirecTV receiver and a DVD player. It is hooked to the TV's HDMI-2 Input. All good so far.

Audio out from the AV receiver is to a Sennheiser wireless headphone setup, with his-and-hers headsets. Works great, separate volume controls (they're both hard of hearing).

ROKU is hooked to the TV's HDMI-1 input and works peachy...except the only way I can get sound is via the TV's speakers. Nothing to the Sennheiser.

The back of the TV only has HDMI-1, HDMI-2 and one set of RCA Jacks for an external device which is currently used by an ancient VCR. I don't see an audio out jack anywhere (Sorry, didn't think to write down the model of the TV).

I'm printing out the manual for the Onkyo now, hoping to find a way around this.

My thinking is that the HDMI-1 and HTMI-2 channels/inputs/outputs on the TV are totally separate and no way to get them to speak to each other so the AV receiver can get audio from both.

Possibly hook the ROKU to the TV VIA the AV receiver rather than direct to the TV HDMI connector?

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15234 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Yes, I would run the Roku thru the receiver.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25426 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
roku should go through the receiver for sound and video. let the receiver do the heavy lifting for sound and video codecs.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
definitely run through the receiver to also get true surround sound from anything watched on the ROKU. The Audio Codec needed to get the surround sound to work properly is Dolby Digital Plus, and most tv's don't pass that signal through, how do I know, because I had that problem.

Houston Texas, if the heat don't kill ya, the skeeters will.

Posts: 359 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Yup, obvious in hind sight.

Now, the Onkyo has HDMI inputs marked as follows:

1. Out to TV (used, obiously)
2. BluRay DVD (used)
3. Sat/Cbl (used)
4. Game Consoles (available)
5. PC (available)
6. IN (available)

Am I correct in assuming that they are all functionally the same and the labels are just to jive with the buttons on the remote?

Posts: 15234 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
that is correct

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Most excellent. Thank you.

Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:

2. BluRay DVD (used)
3. Sat/Cbl (used)
5. PC (available)
6. IN (available)

Am I correct in assuming that they are all functionally the same and the labels are just to jive with the buttons on the remote?

You can likely rename the input on the receiver as well.

————————————————

Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
My amp predates the HDMI era so i plugged all my sources to the TV And use the digital fiber optic cable to output sound to the amp.

Hope there's an useful idea There.

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12112 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:

2. BluRay DVD (used)
3. Sat/Cbl (used)
5. PC (available)
6. IN (available)

Well, no. There is one HDMI that is different: It is marked ARC (Audio Return Channel) HDMI on both the TV AND the receiver. It does just what it says: sends audio from the TV to the receiver. This is for the direct input to the TV (such as an antenna, Chromecast, Roku) to do exactly what you want: send the audio signal that would go through the TV speakers to the AVR.

Connect the ARC HDMI together, kill the TV speakers, and it won't matter if devices (Roku, antenna) are attached to the TV. I have my old Roku 2 connected to the AVR, BTY.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: cne32507,

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What model tv do you have?

Houston Texas, if the heat don't kill ya, the skeeters will.

Posts: 359 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
Reading PHPaul's original post again, he says he plugged the Roku into HDMI 1. That means the AVR is connected to HDMI 2. HDMI 1 is the ARC socket. Even my 2004 Sharp Aquas has ARC. You could just reverse the wires on the back of the TV and change the TV sound setup, if you wish. The old VHS should even play through the AVR.

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Woke up today..
Great day!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 0-0:
My amp predates the HDMI era so i plugged all my sources to the TV And use the digital fiber optic cable to output sound to the amp.

Hope there's an useful idea There.

0-0

This is what I do as well. I have 3 HDMI inputs to the TV and one digital audio out to my receiver. Works great and saved me the expense of buying a new receiver with HDMI.

Posts: 1773 | Location: Chicagoland | Registered: December 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cne32507:
Reading PHPaul's original post again, he says he plugged the Roku into HDMI 1. That means the AVR is connected to HDMI 2. HDMI 1 is the ARC socket. Even my 2004 Sharp Aquas has ARC. You could just reverse the wires on the back of the TV and change the TV sound setup, if you wish. The old VHS should even play through the AVR.

Maybe, maybe not. Your Sharp Aquos was a technology leader back then. I have numerous HDMI capable TVs that are far newer than yours and have no ARC.
Only my Sony bought 3 years ago has ARC.

————————————————

Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
quote:
Originally posted by cne32507:

Maybe, maybe not. Your Sharp Aquos was a technology leader back then. I have numerous HDMI capable TVs that are far newer than yours and have no ARC.
Only my Sony bought 3 years ago has ARC.

Thanks. I assumed they all had ARC. If PHPaul's TV doesn't have ARC, well then he has to hook the Roku to the AVR or connect an optical cable. The only advantage I see for ARC is casting and antennas.

Drift: As to my Sharp Aquos (still a great picture), I thought I could use the ARC to feed the AVR without any issues when the TV is on antenna. I was wrong. When I activate the throughput in the TV setup, it uses the AVR AND the TV speakers. Turn the TV down to zero, it reappears whenever the AVR is turned up. I gave up fiddling with it and will connect an optical cable like I did with my old Sony package crap stereo.

Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
As others stated, you need a TV with ARC or run it through the receiver. I have an expensive 4k TV made by Samsung and it only has one ARC HDMI. Bargain brand or lower tier ones may have none.

Without ARC I would not be able to watch any of the SmartHub stuff on my TV.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20825 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Success! Plugged the Roku into the game port on the AV receiver, all is well, and MUCH simpler for them to operate. Don't know why that didn't occur to me when I set it up the first time.

Thanks!