SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Bought a new house with a hot tub. Now what?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bought a new house with a hot tub. Now what? Login/Join 
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
I had a Endless Pool SwimSpa installed last year (1200 gal).
I live in Chicago and keep the Spa running year round.
I spent the last year learning how to adjust chemical levels.
As stated earlier in this post, Adjust the PH and alkalinity FIRST, then work on the sanitizer.
I originally used chlorine as a sanitizer, it was a constant battle to keep the level proper. When I drained the tub I replaced the chlorine with bromine, it works MUCH better. I keep my tub at 95 degrees. If I think I will use it I turn the temp up to 101. It takes about 1 hour, per degree, to increase. The hot temps are a problem for the chlorine to deal with, not the bromine.

I would empty the tub and start over.
Have boxes of baking soda and a gal of muratic acid on hand to adjust the ph balance.The products advertised and sold as SPA products for PH balancing will put you in the poor house.
Go with small changes. Buy a jug of bromide tablets (1"), a tablet floater, and a jug of shock. Adjust the sanitizer levels after the PH is set.
Once your dialed in on the PH and the level of bromide to have the dispenser allow, your good to go. keep the floating dispenser filled and check the levels with the strips every few days or once a week.
My tub's ledge is level with my deck. I love going out on the deck at night in the dead of winter and climbing into the 101 degree tub,and gazing at the stars or planes landing at O'hare. Some snow coming down is nice too.

Posts: 4640 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You guys have made me feel a lot better about never having had a hot tub.

I guess I'll have to figure out some other way to convince the babes to take their clothes off when they come over.

Retired holster maker.
Retired police chief.
Formerly Sergeant, US Army Airborne Infantry, Pathfinders

Posts: 1099 | Location: Colorado | Registered: March 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
Your Langelier Saturation Index is off.

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6327 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Needs a check up
from the neck up
Picture of Timdogg6
posted Hide Post
Go to Amazon and buy yuck hot tub cleaner

The entire reason for the Second Amendment is not for hunting, it’s not for target shooting … it’s there so that you and I can protect our homes and our children and and our families and our lives. And it’s also there as fundamental check on government tyranny. Sen Ted Cruz

Posts: 5136 | Location: Boca Raton, FL The Gunshine State | Registered: July 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because something is legal to do doesn't mean it is the smart thing to do.
posted Hide Post
Never owned a hot tub but have known several people that have. Based on everything I have heard about them the best thing to do is tear it out and be done with it.

Integrity is doing the right thing, even when nobody is looking.

Posts: 4140 | Location: Metamora MI | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Fusternc
posted Hide Post
100% agree to drain and refill and start from scratch. You do not want the contagion associated with someone else’s hot tub water and bioslime.

I’m a hot tub owner and since owning one I simply do not use public hot tubs any more.

Posts: 1373 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Bought a new house with a hot tub. Now what?

Hookers & blow!

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I bought my house it had a hot tub . The first thing I did was to give it away .

Posts: 4071 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
Our next door neighbors put in a hot tub, this has allowed them to get acquainted with several local plumbers, quite well if the frequency of visits is any indication.

I recal the famous W.C. Fields quote: "I never drink water, fish fuck in it." True for hot tubs too, except the fish part.

Posts: 6516 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Well now you’re going to need a supply of lotions and oils and a new wardrobe......maybe even grow longer lambchop side burns.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29734 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
mine was drained when i moved in. I pulled the filters and sprayed them out. Filled it and then plopped 2 chlorines in. Previous homeowners left chemicals so I balanced it and works like a charm. I would drain it if it's the previous water.

Posts: 3044 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
throw in some gold fish?

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
Call the company that serviced it and see if they drained it as part of the their service. Then proceed from there.

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would put a good hot tub cleaner in it, run, then drain. I had a customer ask me to do it for her when they bought the house. Long story-short, the residue that came out of a tub that looked extremely clean was disgusting!! Damn near made the new owner puke.

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
UPDATE:

The hot tub was filled and serviced on the day that we did our inspection. Prior to that it was empty. The previous resident has been out of the house for months, and nobody has used it since the inspection. I went to Menards today and purchased the full line of hot tub chemicals and spent about an hour at the new house making sure everything either balanced or moving in the right direction. Things are looking better.

I looked at the filter and it looks new. Very white with little debris. There is a new one in the package in the garage.

I feel pretty good about the hot tub since asking here and speaking to a buddy who has one. Hopefully it will be a good way to unwind after work.

Anyone have any insight into the average cost of running the thing?

Posts: 545 | Location: Ohio | Registered: April 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cous2492:
UPDATE:

I looked at the filter and it looks new. Very white with little debris. There is a new one in the package in the garage.

Those are the drain babies!!!!!!!!! hahahaaha

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Now you need a robe that says “hot tub man #1” on the back! Big Grin

Posts: 475 | Location: California | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Now that we know it’s OK, clearly the answer to “Now what?” Is to get a keg of beer and invite us over.

Posts: 18094 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigeinkcmo: We keep ours at 97 typically in the Winter, which is a little cooler than some but we can enjoy it longer without getting out.

Plus 1 on the lower temp and staying in longer. And we drain ours and leave it off in the summer. We never get in it when it's hot outside.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5692 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 5769 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post