SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Democrats sue to keep GOP Rep. Farenthold on 2018 ballot
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Democrats sue to keep GOP Rep. Farenthold on 2018 ballot Login/Join 
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted
Democrats sued Wednesday to keep Texas Republican Rep. Blake Farenthold's name on the 2018 ballot even though the congressman says he won't seek a fifth term amid allegations of sexual harassment.

The lawsuit filed in an Austin federal court came hours after GOP officials said they would remove Farenthold's name despite him missing the deadline for candidates to withdraw.

Farenthold announced last week he wouldn't seek re-election amid pressure from fellow Republicans. He did so while denying 3-year-old accusations that he'd subjected a former aide to sexually suggestive comments, but also apologized for an office atmosphere he said included "destructive gossip, offhand comments" and other behavior.

His decision came four days past the deadline in Texas for candidates to withdraw, prompting the Texas GOP to file a lawsuit in hopes of still removing his name. The party claimed victory Wednesday, saying state elections officials had signaled they couldn't force Farenthold's name to remain on the ballot.

Democrats accused Republicans of skirting the rules and asked a federal judge for an injunction.

"Farenthold has no business serving in public office, but the primary ballot is set and he failed to withdraw," Texas Democratic Party Chairman Gilbert Hinojosa said in a statement.

In 2006, Democrats sued to keep former U.S. House Majority Tom DeLay on the ballot when the powerful Republican resigned after being indicted. Republicans weren't allowed to replace DeLay, who had already won his primary, and instead had to back a write-in GOP candidate who went on to lose to Democrat Nick Lampson.

Six Republicans and four Democrats are vying to replace Farenthold.

Link

One of the comments: “The Democratic Party mantra: Win if you can. Lose if you must. But always cheat.”

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sound and Fury
Picture of Dallas239
posted Hide Post
The Dems dropped their lawsuit today.

"I've spoken of the shining city all my political life, but I don't know if I ever quite communicated what I saw when I said it. But in my mind it was a tall proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, wind-swept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace, a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity, and if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here." -- Ronald Reagan, Farewell Address, Jan. 11, 1989

Si vis pacem para bellum
There are none so blind as those who refuse to see.
Feeding Trolls Since 1995

Posts: 18040 | Registered: February 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post