SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anybody know anything about these reading glasses?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anybody know anything about these reading glasses? Login/Join 
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted
The ones advertised on TV all the time (yeah, I know). http://thinoptics.com Sometimes I need close-up, detailed vision for, say, under a dashboard or working with small parts, but I hate wearing glasses all the time. On a progressive lens the close part is in the bottom, which is the opposite of what I need. The cost is about the same as three broken or lost dollar store readers.

Posts: 28645 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a pair, they work as advertised.

I think I'm pretty cool......

----------------------------------------------------
Dances with Crabgrass

Posts: 2183 | Location: East Virginia | Registered: October 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member!
posted Hide Post
Thinoptics are awesome. I have several pairs. I keep one stuck to the back of my phone case so it's always handy for whipping out to read the fine print on something. I also have the keychain model, so basically I always have a set of reading glasses handy. No they don't look too cool, but so what, they only go on long enough for me to see some fine print or something small, and then they go back into the holder.

The only bad part of these reading glasses is that they scratch easily. You can always send them back and get a free replacement if you want. i just live with the scratches because like I mentioned, I only have them on for a couple of minutes at a time.

The nose piece has super fine grippy teeth and combined with the tension of the frame, stays on your nose. They will fall off with any hard activity though, but they are secure enough for normal movement.

One thing you need to know though is that they sit low on the nose so you still look "down" through them. If you need something to look "up with, these will not work well unless you got a hump on your nose to make them ride higher.

Posts: 4366 | Location: Boise, ID USA | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
Just got some, good enough. For the price you can't go wrong.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8544 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Whatever you do, DO NOT see an opthamologist or get prescription lenses.

Vise grips work great for extracting your own teeth, too.

Posts: 17253 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies, in particular Xero. Smile At least the outfit is legit. I ordered one. I hope the shipper (DHL, who uses them any more?) can find my address. Razz

Posts: 28645 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Karmanator
Picture of Chance
posted Hide Post
I just tried out thinoptics and a new company called Nooz.

I really like them both. Thinoptics are, well, thin. Smile Really handy to throw in your pocket. I find they don't stay on quite as well. Ok for reading etc. But on my nose they slip a bit if I am trying to move around. The fit is really tight for the thinoptics in their case.

The Nooz are a bit bulkier, but just by a hair. The case is a little larger but still very small. The Nooz stay on my nose just a bit better. I really like them both. The Nooz fit in the case with less compression, but that makes the case a little bigger.

Both are throw in you pocket and go.

When I bought them I was given referral urls for discounts. Full disclosure I get credit towards free pairs if you use the discount. But if you want to use the discounts I have included them below.

The thinoptics discount is applied automatically.

15% off thinoptics

You have to give your email address to get the discount to Nooz.

20% off Nooz

At this point my next pair will be Nooz, they fit a little better and they seem a little sturdier - but I am happy with both.

Posts: 3276 | Registered: December 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
They're OK in a pinch, but not a complete replacement for full-fledged reading glasses. As mentioned, you have to look down your nose, and they don't always stay in place. I've had them flip forward, or completely off, even with relatively subtle movements. I think the natural oil on my nose makes matters worse. I comfortably carry a pair in my front pants pocket, but also have real reading glasses at home, in my car, and on my desk at work that I almost always prefer to use if they're within reach.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post

Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Xer0:
Thinoptics are awesome. I have several pairs. I keep one stuck to the back of my phone case so it's always handy for whipping out to read the fine print on something.

+1

Posts: 3815 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Why don’t you fix your little
problem and light this candle
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
I have several pairs. I lost a set and they replaced them. Another set the nose piece snapped off. They replaced it too.
They stand by their product.

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3659 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post