SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    This 83-Year-Old Can Beat You—and Maybe Stephen Curry—at Free Throws
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

This 83-Year-Old Can Beat You—and Maybe Stephen Curry—at Free Throws Login/Join 
posted
Jim Ullrich is 83 years old, but he thinks he can beat Stephen Curry in a shootout.

Mr. Ullrich lobs at least 150 free throws six days a week and usually gets nothing but net. And he hustles to retrieve the ball after each shot.

The Golden State Warriors star doesn’t do that last part.

“I don’t think modern players could make 150 shots without someone tossing them the ball back,” says Mr. Ullrich, a tax attorney in Conroe, Texas. He has been keeping stats on his accuracy since 2014 and says he finished last year with a free-throw average of 90%. Mr. Curry ended the 2020-21 season with a 91.6% average.

Mr. Ullrich has kept stats on his free throwing since 2014.
Mr. Ullrich played basketball in high school and for two years in college. As he started his law career, he played in adult leagues.

He didn’t get a formal training routine until he met Tom Amberry in a senior basketball competition. Dr. Amberry has since died, but he earned national recognition in 1993 when at age 71 he sank 2,750 consecutive free throws, setting a Guinness World Record. (The record has since been broken.)

Mr. Ullrich was inspired by Dr. Amberry’s dedication to the sport. “He told me at age 70 he started a routine of shooting 500 free throws every morning,” says Mr. Ullrich. “Not only did his accuracy improve, but he also lost weight.”

Some might consider Mr. Ullrich’s routine monotonous. He finds it meditative and says it has improved his agility and hand-eye coordination as he has aged. His record to date is 280 consecutive free throws.

​​The Workout

Every weekday morning, Mr. Ullrich goes to a recreation center at 5 a.m. to shoot free throws. On Saturdays, he sleeps in and arrives at 7 a.m. He typically shoots 75 shots from one end of the court and then 75 from the opposite end. After 150 shots, he returns to where he started and shoots until he misses. His Fitbit tracker shows he averages about 2 miles each session just retrieving balls. (When a mask mandate was in place at his gym, he reduced his total number of shots to 75 for a session and built his endurance back up as restrictions lifted.)

Every day at home, he lifts a 15-pound medicine ball overhead 90 times and then does 90 squats while holding the ball. He takes the stairs to his second-floor office. Across the hall is what he calls the “golf office,” a room set up with exercise and golf equipment.

SHARE YOUR THOUGHTS
Would you try adding skill sessions to your workout routine?

He spends 30 minutes performing exercises, such as a plank pose, on vibrational platforms that send microvibrations through the body. Studies have suggested that vibrational training can enhance muscle strength. Mr. Ullrich believes it helps improve his balance. An avid golfer, he has a driving net and hits 100 golf balls and practices his putting at three putting stations.

The Diet

Morning routine: One tablespoon of aged balsamic vinegar mixed in water and a probiotic yogurt.

A salad a day: His daily salad is tossed with lettuce, tomatoes, olives, five types of beans, crumbled blue cheese, olive oil and maple balsamic vinaigrette.

Eat your broccoli: “It took me a long time to learn to love broccoli,” he says. “I tried it in every preparation and now I try to eat it a few times a week.”

Quick and easy dinners: At least once a week, he orders reheatable healthy meals from a delivery service. Cod fishcakes and pork chops are two of his favorites. On Fridays, he prepares frozen salmon from Costco.

Cutting back on sugar: “I never met anyone who could eat more ice cream than I could but I’ve given it up, as well as doughnuts, another old favorite,” he says.

Essential Gear

Sneakers: New Balance is his go-to brand. He is always trying new models, which usually average $145 a pair.

Ball: Mr. Ullrich shoots with an NCAA Evo NXT Official Game Basketball. ($90)

Court access: He pays $194 a year for his membership to Conroe Parks & Recreation, which gives him access to the rec center and gym.

Home massage: He bought a massage chair at Costco for $4,000.

Vibrational training: He owns the Hurtle Fitness Vibration Platform machine ($200), the Personal Power Plate ($1,500) and a vibration trainer from Costco ($1,600)

LINK: https://www.wsj.com/articles/t...=3&mod=WTRN#cxrecs_s

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
I was shooting free throws a couple of years ago at the gym. I found it improved my hand eye coordination and I was shooting (guns) better. I may have to start again.

Posts: 5620 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post