SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Hard Cooked (Hard Boiled) Egg Question
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hard Cooked (Hard Boiled) Egg Question Login/Join 
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Screw all that.

I just buy them already cooked and peeled, most any grocery store has them, but Costco is so easy. Just hand’em some money and walk out with a bag of them.

Easy Peazy!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: OKCGene,

Posts: 11981 | Location: Near Hooker Oklahoma, closer to Slapout Oklahoma | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
Instapot + Ice water bath. You won't find a easier egg to peel. I've done it just about every imaginable way.

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8924 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
Cooked sous vide, perfect every time. Peeling? I never found a trick that works consistently.

Posts: 3541 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ShouldBFishin
posted Hide Post
I'm also in the Instant Pot category followed with an ice bath. While it doesn't save any time, they are much easier to peel when made this way.

Posts: 1817 | Location: MN | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Put them in a pot
Cover with water
Add tbsp salt
Bring to boil
Boil a few minutes
Take off heat and
Let them sit until the water is cool enough to get the eggs out with my hand

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11458 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
The method, as tested by America's Test Kitchen for proper cooking and easy peeling is as follows:

Bring water to rolling boil, salt not needed. Place eggs in rolling boil, using either enough water, or few enough eggs to keep water boiling, let cook for 13 minutes.

Transfer hot eggs immediately into icewater and let set 5 minutes or so.

This does a few things; it cooks the eggs as quickly as possible (without an instapotetc). By flash-cooling, it fills in the hollow at the "big" end of the egg by condensing the steam that gathers there inside the cooking egg, and it makes the egg easiest to peel with shell and membrane usually separating cleanly from the cooked egg.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12920 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ArtieS:

By flash-cooling, it fills in the hollow at the "big" end of the egg by condensing the steam that gathers there inside the cooking egg, and it makes the egg easiest to peel with shell and membrane usually separating cleanly from the cooked egg.
That makes a lot of sense.

Now, I wonder why the NYT cookbook recommends letting the eggs cool to room temperature "naturally," instead of using the ice water.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 31383 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 6guns:
I boil mine for 14 minutes and then run them under cold water from the faucet in a colander. Always done right for me and I never have trouble peeling them.

This ^^^^^^^^^

Posts: 6711 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:
Screw all that.

I just buy them already cooked and peeled, most any grocery store has them, but Costco is so easy. Just hand’em some money and walk out with a bag of them.

Easy Peazy!

I've always found any sort of store bought hard cooked eggs to be extremely rubbery.

Posts: 34536 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Can anyone speak to the "recommended" practice of piercing the (big? I think)end of the eggshell before cooking?

Bill Gullette

Posts: 1548 | Location: Behind the Pine Curtain  | Registered: March 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BGULL:
Can anyone speak to the "recommended" practice of piercing the (big? I think)end of the eggshell before cooking?

It works.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16899 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Love a hard-boiled egg with my lunch or as a snack. I used those "as seen on TV" "Egglette" things for a while, but have become dissatisfied. The top center portion of the egg doesn't cook completely and is all runny and gooey, which is unappealing. (I don't like any type of cooking eggs that doesn't completely cook the white.) So I tried something I found on YouTube. After the eggs finish cooking, pour off the hot water, quench them with cold tap water, then cover them with ice for a little while ( don't remember how long). I didn't have any ice handy, so I put them in the freezer still covered with water for ~15 minutes. They peeled pretty easily after that.

For timing how long to cook the eggs, start when the water comes to a lightly "rolling" boil, then 12-13 minutes after that. 12:30 seems to be a "sweet spot." If you like them softer, obviously adjust the time accordingly.

Posts: 28645 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Keystoner
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sandman76:
Instantpot. Cook for 5 minutes. Rest for 3 minutes with Instantpot turned off. Release steam and into ice bath. Perfect. Peels fine.

What's the timing for soft boiled?

Year V

Posts: 2672 | Registered: November 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
I eat 1 or 2 hard boiled eggs every day.

I always use eggs that were purchased at least 1-2 weeks before hard boiling them.

12-18 eggs in a pot with cold water at least 1" above the eggs. Add salt. Bring to a boil, cover and then turn the burner off, leaving the pot on the same burner. Let them sit for 13 minutes. Place them in a pan of water with plenty of ice. Let them sit for 20 minutes or so and then peel them.

My Son tells me I have to try the Insta-pot, but so far, I have not.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36897 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Keystoner:
quote:
Originally posted by sandman76:
Instantpot. Cook for 5 minutes. Rest for 3 minutes with Instantpot turned off. Release steam and into ice bath. Perfect. Peels fine.

What's the timing for soft boiled?

I've had pretty good luck with the following procedure (very simple):

1. One minute on the "Egg" program.
2. Open valve as soon as cooking completes (it takes about another minute to degas, with the eggs still cooking).
3. Immediately rinse in cold water bath to halt the cooking process.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16899 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
The NYT cookbook says, “Do NOT shock them in an ice bath after cooking; this makes them more difficult to peel.”

Where exactly are you seeing this? Their online cookbook says, " A gray-green ring around the yolk of a hard boiled egg means that it was cooked too long and/or at too high a temperature. To protect against this, cooked eggs should be immediately immersed in cold water to stop the cooking process."
NYT Cooking

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Picture of IntrepidTraveler
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark60:
.... Peeling? I never found a trick that works consistently.

Same here. I pre-cook them for breakfasts. Tried all the methods, none works consistently. Older eggs seem to do better but it's not consistent.

Thus the metric system did not really catch on in the States, unless you count the increasing popularity of the nine-millimeter bullet.
- Dave Barry

"Never go through life saying 'I should have'..." - quote from the 9/11 Boatlift Story (thanks, sdy for posting it)

Posts: 3350 | Location: Grapevine TX/ Augusta GA | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Animis Opibusque Parati
posted Hide Post
Try the 5-5-5 Instant Pot method. Cook for 5 minutes, release pressure after waiting 5 minutes, place in ice bath for 5 minutes. Crack them and the shells slide off.

"Prepared in mind and resources"

Posts: 1357 | Location: SC | Registered: October 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:

quote:
The NYT cookbook says, “Do NOT shock them in an ice bath after cooking; this makes them more difficult to peel.”
Where exactly are you seeing this? Their online cookbook says, " A gray-green ring around the yolk of a hard boiled egg means that it was cooked too long and/or at too high a temperature. To protect against this, cooked eggs should be immediately immersed in cold water to stop the cooking process."
NYT Cooking
quote:
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/0...-hard-boil-eggs.html

Immediately dunking your cooked eggs in an ice bath will have a similar dimple-reducing effect, but it also makes them a little more difficult to peel. This result surprised me, as previous smaller-scale tests had suggested a slight advantage in peeling eggs that were iced; but when a mountain of new data doesn’t fit your previous hypothesis, you change your hypothesis.

An ice bath also did not help reduce the incidence of the sulfurous green patina around overcooked egg yolks — eggs are so small that there is negligible carry-over cooking. If the yolk is green, it would have been green ice bath or no.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 31383 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
OK, thanks. Well, it looks like that is a first-time contributor for the NYT, and he appears to be a bit of a rogue chef. While I applaud his reliance on the scientific method, he says a few things I'm not sure I agree with.

Bottom line, he is not a mainstream authority for the NYT, the latter which does recommend ice baths.

And as fate would have it, it appears his restaurant is in my hometown. Maybe I should just pay him a visit and see what the hell's kitchen is his problem. Big Grin

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."