SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Do we have any Nashville residents here?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do we have any Nashville residents here? Login/Join 
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
I thought Monells was ok but if you can get down to Lynchburg, Mary Bobos has a lot better food IMO. They have limited hours. The JD tour costs money now.

Posts: 17903 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Move Up or
Move Over
posted Hide Post
I think Monells is living on past reputation.

We were close to a real tragedy here this week as a car crashed in to the original Prince's and caused a fire. They plan to reopen as soon as they can.

I haven't been to the new location but I need to go as it is a lot easier for me to get to.

Hattie B's is decent but missing something in their flavor profile that Prince's has. Still really good though.

If you make it down south there is Big Shake's. Their chicken is about the same as Hattie B's. They can be a little inconsistent but overall are pretty good. If you think you have a tough stomach go for the executioner. I've made it through executioner twice but it was a challenge and I like really hot stuff. And don't forget, the harder it is to get it in the more pleasurable your experience will be a few hours later.

If you do spicy chicken, no matter where you go it is important to eat the bread to get the full effect.

Posts: 4954 | Location: middle Tennessee | Registered: October 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flesheatingvirus:
Another vote for Prince's chicken. BEST hot fried chicken I've ever had.

I grew up just south of Nashville.

Princes is the original, but they just had a car "parked" inside their original location, and are closed indefinitely. Princes south just isn't the same. Hattie Bs is tourist chicken. If you want Nashville Hot chicken, Slow Burn or 400 degrees are where you want to go.

For music, you can really just walk around. Broadway is stuffed with venues. Once you decide when you're coming you can start looking to see who is playing where

There really aren't any places to avoid. East Nashville is traditionally rougher, but it's become pretty gentrified. You probably have better instincts for the rough areas than me, but I've never felt unsafe even in the seedier looking areas, and quite a few great hole in the wall places look plenty seedy.

For parking downtown, I usually park at Nissan stadium and walk across the pedestrian bridge, or at the Music City Center garage. You can safely walk to "downtown" from either of those spots.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3519 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We stay outside of Nashville every year for a GSSF Match. We always try to get 5 Points Pizza.

Posts: 2160 | Location: St. Louis | Registered: January 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tejas421:
Places to see: Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum,
The Hermitage (Andrew Jackson's plantation) Johnny Cash Museum,
Belle Meade Plantation.

I don’t live in Nashville (obviously), but I hope you’ll allow me to make a suggestion or two.

May I suggest going a bit further south of Nashville and rather than Belle Meade, visit the Carnton Plantation near Franklin. There was a significant Civil War battle fought there, and Carnton was in the thick of it; the main house became a field hospital. There’s also a Confederate Cemetery located on the plantation. It’s an amazing place. The town of Franklin is pretty cool too. Some nice places to eat.

I will never again visit Nashville and NOT go to the Bluebird. I understand that you need to make reservations well in advance—no matter what night of the week you go, probably before you leave St. Louis.

Printer’s Alley was cool and there was a great Blues club there that I really liked. I said “was” because I understand a developer has bought out much of the Alley and it’s changing. Tejas may chime in and confirm or deny that it’s ruined.

Posts: 13305 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post