SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    New York's newest gun control legislation and social media
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New York's newest gun control legislation and social media Login/Join 
Keeping the economy moving since 1964
Picture of chbibc
posted
Last week the New York Legislature passed numerous new firearm related laws in retaliation for the SCOTUS ruling removing the state's arbitrary restrictions for concealed carry permits. Now, when you apply or recertify for your pistol permit in NY, you will have to surrender your online social media accounts for review as well. One clause in the new laws speaks to 'people who make potentially harmful or irresponsible statements'. Who will be the decider on that? This is another example of the 'thought police state' at work. This also violates the first amendment. In preparation for my recertification perhaps I will need to close down all my social media activities, which would include this great place. Should I start preparing for a dramatic exit? (By posting this it looks like I already have). All snark aside, I am sickened. The lawsuits cannot come quick enough.

-----------------------
You can't fall off the floor.

Posts: 8522 | Location: Rochester, NY behind enemy lines | Registered: March 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The social media aspect is ridiculous. I doubt it will stand legal challenges.

Posts: 17221 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not a surprise ( I am a former New Yorker and the only way to best NY is to leave it)

The latest round of legislation essentially is an effort to - ok we must issue a carry permit, but let’s make it impossible to carry by making everywhere you go a place carry is prohibited

While there are many aspect of legislation that don’t pass constitutional muster in the least, as usual NY will fight tooth and nail until a binding court decision ( which they will again look for a way to circumvent) is declared. Much of this may take so long most of us will be in the grave by then.

My old friends and family ask me when I plan to return to visit.
Screw that you visit free America instead.

I left NY 7 years ago this week ( Independence Day what a perfect time to leave NY in the rear view) and aside from providing aid to a terminally Ill friend or family member there is zero reason to go back or for those still there, to stay.
No job or other aspect of life could possibly be worth it.

I have said it on many posts in many places since leaving- someone could offer me a million bucks a year with the stipulation I had to move back to NY and I would say no without even a blink.

Despite every concerted effort of people in NY it is time to concede NY is lost. Get out while you can, while you can still find a fool willing to buy your house

Posts: 3282 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
(yawn) Yeah, it never gets old. Oh wait.

It takes near two years to get one in my county. No one would every make a facebook or twitter account in the meantime to post puppies and flowers and how much you miss RBG, all while secretly plotting to take over the world.

Posts: 21092 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironbutt
posted Hide Post
No one actually thought the anti-gunners would actually say, "OK. You win.", did you. They're not going to stop. Ever.

------------------------------------------------

"It's hard to imagine a more stupid or dangerous way of making decisions, than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2048 | Location: PA | Registered: September 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post

1. Do online forums like this count as social media?

2. Can you tell them you don't have or use social media, or not tell them at all? How would they find out what, if any, social media you participate in?

3. I can't remember you, yourself, ever saying anything here that could be considered controversial or red flag, not even a curse word.

Posts: 27916 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I strongly encourage you to leave, if possible. I fled San Francisco in '93, after years of fighting for gun rights there. People told me that they wouldn't subscribe to gun rags because they "didn't want to get on a list." My response was, if you're that afraid of the state, you're living in the wrong place. Last week we finally got my wife's last surviving relative out. He move to the next town over. He can't believe how free it is here.

Posts: 17135 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My former in-laws live in NY. Cattaraugus Co. Beautiful state. But high taxes. Shitty roads. Stupid gun laws. I would love to visit more, but wont set foot anywhere in NY and have not for years. I used to ask my NY relatives how things got the way they are and why do they put up with it. Never got a good answer.
Leave if you can.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16059 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I live in NJ and its just as bad, if not worse than NY. NJ gun laws will get worse this week when they are going to require you to pay to re-register your guns every 4 years but they dont say what will happen if you dont. Will they fine you out of control? If they do try to seize your guns for having an “expired registeration” that will lose 100% in the supreme court. It wont be a red flag violation and theyll just take them? I dont see that anywhere in the 2nd amend or 4th amend for that matter. Yet people compare guns to cars, which is worlds different. I guess people will have to register their voices soon in this state lol

Posts: 267 | Registered: October 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
I moved out of NY in the mid 80's. Fuck those assholes.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16120 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Hockul might just be worse than Cuomo. These new laws she just forced through are totally illegal/unconstitutional. Colion Noir sums them up nicely as well as reminding everyone once again what this is really about.... Control of the population.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by USCO160:
I live in NJ and its just as bad, if not worse than NY. NJ gun laws will get worse this week when they are going to require you to pay to re-register your guns every 4 years but they dont say what will happen if you dont. Will they fine you out of control? If they do try to seize your guns for having an “expired registeration” that will lose 100% in the supreme court. It wont be a red flag violation and theyll just take them? I dont see that anywhere in the 2nd amend or 4th amend for that matter. Yet people compare guns to cars, which is worlds different. I guess people will have to register their voices soon in this state lol

We have the right of free travel wherever in the U.S. we choose, other than someone else's private property. Did people have to register horses and buggies back before cars? Did you need a license to ride a horse or pull a wagon with a horse or oxen?

Given that a car is often a person's most valuable possession, and could be stolen and driven far away, proof of ownership via title is important, which means we need VIN numbers and a database of owners. But saying driving is a privilege and not a right is a slippery slope. You need a driver's license to prove you can drive safely. You need a gun license to prove you can use it safely? The government needs to know where your car is kept and where the owner lives. The government needs to know where your guns are kept and where the owners live? The government needs license plates on cars so they know who the driver is and can track you down if you do something wrong while driving. The government needs to register all guns to make sure they can track you down if someone does something wrong with a gun? You need car insurance to drive on public roads in case you hit someone (or someone hits you). You need gun insurance to carry in public?

Not saying we should change the whole system, because there are good reasons for driver's licensing, titles, and registration. But then that is so the government can more easily keep track of us, as much as it is protect us financially or ensure safety. The exact same arguments are used for guns too, and the goal is to more easily keep track of us.

Posts: 4700 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lefty Sig:
But then that is so the government can more easily keep track of us, as much as it is protect us financially or ensure safety.
Except that the government doesn't "protect" us on any level. As a matter of fact, I would argue at this point in history the government is more injurious to "We the people..." on a daily basis than criminals ever could be. As such, they should not be trusted on any level and we should seek to push them completely out of our lives and affairs. The government's sole role and focus at this point is complete control of the people, continual expansion of government power, and the perpetuation of the careers of politicians and government employees.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
Two more Buffalo winters, one more if they don't roll this shit back. Damn....there goes my recertification lol. If you're within a year of recert you can do it online now. I just did mine last night, I don't know if it will matter but it might buy me time to get out.

I can't wait to see how they implement the 16 hours of training and 2 hours of range time, it's not like we have an abundance of ranges.

Posts: 3445 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
So social media accounts are “published,” I think.

Bit amazed they actually passed this - but I do remember some democrat had a goal of prohibiting “anonymous” online handles - kinda split on that.

I have no doubt NY’s thugs will get themselves in trouble with this…. Maybe a due process issue?

Actually denying a right, based on speech, will almost certainly get them in trouble, but it might be hard to go after them requesting everything you’ve published - not entirely sure that I’ve heard of such a review before.

Also, it raises an interesting question on if speech published to a forum which requires membership to read, or a social media post which is only set to “friends” counts as publication.

Posts: 5722 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
16 hours of training would make it expensive but simulators and SIRT pistols could at least make it productive.

Not saying it should be a standard, but it is at least possible to be useful.

Posts: 5722 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
Pay to register guns? WTF? Do they have poll taxes there too? How do they get away with that BS? Until politicians can be personally sued for violating citizens' civil rights, this BS won't end. They need to be bankrupted by this BS and any pro bono legal work or GoFundMe $$ they received needs to be taxed as gift income.

Posts: 3512 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
2. Can you tell them you don't have or use social media, or not tell them at all? How would they find out what, if any, social media you participate in?

I don’t know the details and probably shouldn’t say much about it other than a SWAT friend of mine says there’s no such thing as hiding your social media anything from law enforcement if they want to have a look. Private, PM’s, passwords. Doesn’t matter. You wouldn’t even know or be involved in any way.

Posts: 17100 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rick Lee:

Until politicians can be personally sued for violating citizens' civil rights, this BS won't end.
Even if successfully sued personally, they are slimy enough to find a way to shift the fine to taxpayer funds.

I would rather see mandatory jail sentences, instead of fines.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30635 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
How about treason? Make a law that violates the constitution as determined by the courts - let that be treason.

There should be a public audit of every person (gov employee or celebrity) who currently has a permit for violations of said rules.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12712 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post