SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    M&S Meats Beef Jerky Alternatives
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

M&S Meats Beef Jerky Alternatives Login/Join 
Picture of jprebb
posted
I know there are few beef jerky threads floating around, but I am looking for an alternative to M&S Meats beef jerky, which, for me, is some of the best jerky I've ever had. The problem is this stuff is $50 dollars a #$%&ing pound! Yes, you read that right, $50/lb.

I seriously love the stuff, but I cannot let beef jerky change my plans for retirement. Does a cheaper alternative that tastes just as good exist?

Thanks!
JP

Posts: 2075 | Location: Maryland | Registered: April 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Homemade is what I do.

Posts: 20610 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jprebb
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
Homemade is what I do.

Have you had M&S beef jerky? If you have a comparable recipe I'll happily invest in a dehydrator.

JP

Posts: 2075 | Location: Maryland | Registered: April 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jprebb:
Have you had M&S beef jerky? If you have a comparable recipe I'll happily invest in a dehydrator.

JP

That’s part of your problem… dehydrator. You need a smoker. Low and slow. Dehydrate with heat and smoke.
Jerky is pretty easy to make. It’ll take you a few tries, but buy good meat. Cut out the sinew. Finding the thickness you prefer can be difficult.
Half frozen, semi thawed meat slices thin, easily. Hang the slices to dry in the fridge for a few hours to a day depending on thickness before you smoke it.
Season with dry spices, or you can brush with a thinned out sauce. Smoke it until it’s jerkey.

That’s the basics. Play around with it. It’s worth it if you really like jerkey.

quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
I'd fly to Turks and Caicos with live ammo falling out of my pockets before getting within spitting distance of NJ with a firearm.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4365 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jprebb:
Have you had M&S beef jerky?

I grew up just up the road from them and still live in the general neighborhood. So...yeah. Wink. Good, but nothing special that I can't do at home for a whole lot cheaper.

And Beancooker is right. No dehydrator. Either a smoker or pellet grill is what you need. Also, pick up a book called Sausage And Jerky Makers' Bible by Eldon Cutlip. There's a lot of good recipes for jerky in there and they're quite easy to make. My personal favorite is a honey/black pepper blend.

Posts: 20610 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post