SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I’m no longer unemployed...
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I’m no longer unemployed... Login/Join 
Comic Relief
Picture of Eponym
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on finding work. I know how frustrating searching the job listings and sending out resumes can be. I've been there and done that a few times.

Posts: 4820 | Location: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: September 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stop Talking, Start Doing
posted Hide Post
Congrats on finding something to keep you afloat for now.

Posts: 5074 | Location: The (R)ight side of Washington State | Registered: August 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
Good for you, for doing what had to be done.

Focus on doing the best job you can, and keep on learning.

Every situation has lessons embedded in it and experience to be gained - hope that you get the most out of it while keeping things on an even keel for your family.

Posts: 15033 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Flying Sergeant
posted Hide Post
So, so happy to hear you’re working. I had a similar experience about 10 years ago. Not doing that type of work for awhile took some getting used to. That’s great that it’ll pay your bills and insurance is a huge perk these days. Congrats and good luck.

Posts: 1673 | Location: Waukesha,WI | Registered: December 19, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I echo all the congratulations and good encouragements in this thread. You have our respect for doing what it takes. And where you are now doesn't mean that's where you'll be tomorrow.

Keep looking. Stay positive. I've been there and while I was there, several times I thought I was better off quitting. I'm glad I held on.

Hold on, my friend, hold on.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19685 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the comments all. As everyone noted it's not so much the work that I wanted, but dang it if I'm not going to do what I have to to take care of my family. Something better will come along, I'm sure of it. Until then I'm doing the best job I can here, it's not like me to slouch no matter what the task.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good job!!! Your providing for your family. That is what matters not what kind of job it is or entails.

Posts: 4066 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SigM4:
Just severely underemployed. Took a job at the local rental equipment company as a yard hand basically doing whatever needs to be done; maintaining equipment, loading customers, cleaning returns, manual labor. Main attraction is that I can have medical coverage for the family and it’s about 5 mins from the house. At 38 though it’s been rough acclimating to the environment once again.

Months spent looking for a new job after being laid off have lead me to this. You’d think that sending out 2-3 applications a day for those same months would have resulted in something, but mostly it’s resulted in a lot of dashed hopes. The economy can’t get back on-track again fast enough at this point.

This‘ll keep our heads above water for the time being though.

Really glad things have improved for you and your family. My admiration for people who work so hard to support themselves and their families is in full bloom here. The economy will improve again and things will get better for all of us.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25644 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post