SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Mass Psychosis- How an Entire Population Becomes Mentally Ill
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mass Psychosis- How an Entire Population Becomes Mentally Ill Login/Join 
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted
References the work of Joost Meerloo and a little bit of Carl Jung. Take it for what it's worth, YMMV.

link

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16710 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
I saw this a few weeks ago. I thought it was excellent and spot on. Well worth the time to watch.

I actually bought Meerloo’s book a couple of years ago after reading this article from the Federalist: ‘How to Escape the Age of Mass Delusion’ (https://thefederalist.com/2015/06/08/how-to-escape-the-age-of-mass-delusion/).

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6417 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
Great Video. It points out the exact things that are happening on SigForum to keep our collective minds intact. Never in my life have I seen the 'elites' push so hard for power and control. Never in my life have I seen so many sheep and just plain stupid people. Nevertheless, I have hope for this country. Thanks for the post.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4233 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
George had it pegged!

[FLASH_VIDEO] [/FLASH_VIDEO]

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mass psychosis is what we are seeing

Posts: 1406 | Registered: November 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I watched the video. I think it's confirmation bias regardless of whether you're a leftist liberal or a conservative.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19682 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
C.S.Lewis "The Abolition of Man."

Posts: 5741 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
convince everyone they're sick

convince everyone they're going to die

convince everyone to engage in aberrant behavior under the lie of being sick

make that behavior the new 'normal'

Posts: 53204 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:
I watched the video. I think it's confirmation bias ...

Could you expand on this? Thanks.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6417 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
The video quotes Hannah Arendt: "It's an attempted transformation of human nature itself."

It's nothing new. Some humans have always wanted "power" and "control" over other humans.
I wish we who just want to be left alone to live our lives in peace could be.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24141 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
The use of propaganda and disinformation by the upper crust to sway the masses is far from a new concept.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15601 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CoolRich59:
quote:
I watched the video. I think it's confirmation bias ...

Could you expand on this? Thanks.

I think we both realize that the video is geared towards a conservative viewer, yes?

I can easily imagine the video being retooled by changing the specific examples to target a leftist liberal viewer to confirm what they see is happening with the totalitarian right wingers.

I'm critical of any information I receive maybe more so if it seems it supports what I believe. It does two things: 1) being critical of something that seems to support what I already believe often strengthens my conviction of what I believe. 2) It minimizes the possibility of me being aikido using my beliefs.

Aikodo as you may already know is the martial art of turning someone's strength and momentum against himself. The conspiracy to kidnap the Michigan governor involved a number of government operatives and that's even their defense. There is evidence that the January 6 involved government operatives. If only those people had been more critical when they listened to people who they thought were on their side and who were encouraging them to kidnap the governor or storm the capitol, then they would not have played into the other side's hand.

This video smells the same to me and with little retooling, it could be shown to leftist liberals. This video could very well be part of the propaganda to sway the masses.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19682 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think the question is do people actually believe the propaganda and become delusional, or are they just convinced everyone else believes it and there is no use (and negative consequences) if they dissent.

Right now a lot of people that are center-left and even center-right do not speak out against the crazy woke crap because they fear reprisals.

How many people REALLY believe a man who thinks he's a woman is REALLY a woman? Probably not nearly as many as who will agree with it because that is what they are supposed to say now.

Just like the leadup to prohibition where it was fashionable to be anti-alcohol and speak of the evils of liquor, but the politicians that supported the temperance movement, and voted for prohibition, never intended to actually follow it.

I suppose that is a mass psychosis - everyone professes to believe in something that is false. Like the emperor's new clothes story. Everyone knew he was naked, they just were afraid to speak out.

That said, if you want to understand this you have to actually go to a totalitarian country. China has convinced a large part of their population that COVID came from outside China and was brought it by American soldiers during the games. They have sealed off the country and have strict quarantine on entry. After the Wuhan outbreak was supposedly contained with a hard lockdown, all new cases around the country were blamed on people infected outside of China bringing it in with them. Better educated people know this is not really true, but the masses believe it. Chinese insist there is nothing happening in Xingiang and the Uhigurs are treated like we treat our minorities - set asides, special privileges, free college, etc. The only thing happening is imprisonment of terrorists that have caused many many knife attacks. Even Uhigur children are trained to be thiefs and cut people with knives. Chinese believe without a strong central single party government, the country would descend into civil war and chaos and destroy itself (doubly so if they were allowed to have guns). Only the CCP unified China under Mao.

I could go on, but you get the idea. They think true freedom and liberty is problematic. That free speech comes with "responsibility to maintain social order" (avoid saying politically incorrect things), that they need to be controlled.

So it does work to some degree if you repeat the propaganda often enough.

Posts: 4727 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
The manipulation of the public psyche using the Covid pandemic taught me something about my fellow citizens and the dictatorial ruling class. I learned that we are not as free as we were told and the principles of liberty are not as iron clad as they were. I was dismayed at how the use of fear motivated citizens to demand others to surrender their liberty and how officers of the law, courts and politicians so easily broke their oath. That is how I see it. America was an illusion.....a mirage.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29713 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:
The manipulation of the public psyche using the Covid pandemic taught me something about my fellow citizens and the dictatorial ruling class. I learned that we are not as free as we were told and the principles of liberty are not as iron clad as they were. I was dismayed at how the use of fear motivated citizens to demand others to surrender their liberty and how officers of the law, courts and politicians so easily broke their oath. That is how I see it. America was an illusion.....a mirage.

Depends where you are located. Everyone in my department ignored silly mask mandates. I didn’t tell a single person to put one on when they were evidently “in violation”. Likewise, when I frequented the grocery store, I refused to wear one and nobody batted an eye. In my gym, which was operating at full capacity throughout the plandemic ignored the governors order requiring masks indoors- even the maskers didn’t complain. There is a shortage of Karen-like imbeciles even in the eastern panhandle of WV it seems, which is quite possibly as far left as the state leans.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15601 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Internet Guru
posted Hide Post
quote:

Good post...my take away from the hysteria as well.

Posts: 1972 | Registered: April 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
America was an illusion.....a mirage.

While I generally agree with your take... America wasn't ALWAYS just an illusion.
The founding fathers of this (formerly?) great country did an amazing thing. They brought forth a new country, based on the idea that the people were capable of self-government.

But liberty requires morality and self-discipline. We have gone astray. But it was real for a pretty long time.

To our Founding Fathers, it was obvious, or “self-evident,” that self-government, or a democratic republic, could only be perpetuated by the self-governed. Self-governance consists of self-regulation of our behavior, ambitions and passions. To this end, the Founders fundamentally believed that the ability to govern ourselves rests with our individual and collective virtue (or moral character).

John Adams stated it this way, “Public virtue cannot exist in a Nation without private Virtue, and public Virtue is the only Foundation of Republics.

Benjamin Franklin said: “Only a virtuous people are capable of freedom.”

https://mountlibertycollege.or...e-can-be-no-liberty/

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24141 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
I understand. My comment was more from the perspective of my lifetime. I think at the founding was when America was at it’s most free. Since then the forces that oppress and captivate men have gradually attenuated that freedom. By the time I came along freedom, true and full freedom was greatly diminished.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29713 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I understand. My comment was more from the perspective of my lifetime. I think at the founding was when America was at it’s most free. Since then the forces that oppress and captivate men have gradually attenuated that freedom. By the time I came along freedom, true and full freedom was greatly diminished.

you're right it has been diminished in the US. but we do it to ourselves through our elected officials. there is the continuum of 'freedom' at one end and 'safety / security' at the other end. total freedom is dangerous ie anarchy. on the other hand total security is a fascist's utopia. no 4th amendment / let me see your papers, COVID passports etc...

we have certainly been moving toward the less free as you mention for a long time. IMO we really should be less 'Federal' and more 'States' oriented in our politics. COVID proved that to me big-time.

but as to the video posted -- yes I've seen that before -- it was circulated a lot during the pandemic.

i just tell my kids -- be a critical thinker. seek multiple points of view, many sources of data. think logically and consider the source of the information and the rationale of what they stand to gain from their position.

-------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
quote:
This video could very well be part of the propaganda to sway the masses.

Great point and good advice.

Thanks for taking the time to explain - much appreciated.