SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Need outdoor security camera advice.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need outdoor security camera advice. Login/Join 
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
radioman pretty much nailed it with these two posts:

quote:
Originally posted by radioman:
For the OP..... There are hobby grade systems (which is what I have), there are professional systems, and there is plain shit.

quote:
Keep in mind that at night it's a different story. Those tons of megapixel cams often can't pick up enough light to do any good because the sensor is too small for all those pixels.

I have what I would be considered a higer-end hobby-grade system. Cameras are all Dahua 2MP Starlight cams and NVR is the Surveillance Station software that came with my Synology NAS. Everything is wired.

Even with already owning the NVR hardware I have close to $1k invested in cameras, additional camera licenses for the NVR, PoE network switch and Ethernet cable. Then there was my time.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
I've been reading up on security cameras, and based on what I've read you'll need at least a 5 megapixel (8 mp even better) camera to have a chance at a clear image of a face or license plate.

Keep in mind that at night it's a different story. Those tons of megapixel cams often can't pick up enough light to do any good because the sensor is too small for all those pixels. There are many factors and if I cared about faces at night, I would buy a cam specifically designed for this. But it may cost more than most people want to pay -- that's the trade-off.
Thanks for the warning. However, I'm in a great situation light wise. Other side of the street has a street light so street, sidewalk, and part of front lawn are well lit at night. Additionally, myself and most of my neighbors have 2 or 3 dusk to dawn wall latern sconce lights out front.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23269 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
I've been reading up on security cameras, and based on what I've read you'll need at least a 5 megapixel (8 mp even better) camera to have a chance at a clear image of a face or license plate.

Facial Recognition and License Plate Recognition go far beyond just a MP stat.
For FR the PPF (pixels per foot) on average the minimum is 50.
This is a calculated figure not a specific camera specification.
That may be adjusted for lighting conditions.
So depending what the distance and the FOV (field of view) this will determine what MP camera is needed.
For LPR the ability to focus on a small moving object is crucial.
For that reason it is a completely different type of camera (to be effective).
Shutter speed, FOV, Frame Rate and High Dynamic Range are all have to be optimize to capture a plate.
So just buying a camera and assuming it is High MP automatically makes it superior is misleading.
YMMV

Posts: 22915 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
quote:

Facial Recognition and License Plate Recognition go far beyond just a MP stat.
For FR the PPF (pixels per foot) on average the minimum is 50.
This is a calculated figure not a specific camera specification.
That may be adjusted for lighting conditions.
So depending what the distance and the FOV (field of view) this will determine what MP camera is needed.
For LPR the ability to focus on a small moving object is crucial.
For that reason it is a completely different type of camera (to be effective).
Shutter speed, FOV, Frame Rate and High Dynamic Range are all have to be optimize to capture a plate.
So just buying a camera and assuming it is High MP automatically makes it superior is misleading.
YMMV
Thanks, that will help when I purchase my system.

However, if you read my ENTIRE original post, it was to dissuade someone from blindly buying a gizmo off Amazon that has a minuscule chance of doing what the OP intends (assumed both 1. know someone is there via app and 2. needing a clear face recorded to be used for an arrest in violating restraining order).

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23269 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of K0ZZZ
posted Hide Post
Reolink Argus cameras are also really nice, highly rated, and inexpensive compared to a lot of the others. Battery operated, optional solar panel, means no wiring. App works great on an iphone, I've been using them here for a couple years. You can even do two way audio through them, as in "Get the hell off my property before I call the cops!" type things. Available on Amazon of course!

... Chad

http://shotworkspro.com - Much better than scrap paper! Use 'Take5' to get 5 bucks off.

Posts: 770 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: December 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Night Owl wired system, like it alot easy install always on no recharging batteries!!

Posts: 632 | Location: Cajun Country, Sportsman Paradise  | Registered: March 19, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Make sure the cameras are easily seen,
Post some kinda security system on a sign or in a window- even if it’s a not true
Get on board with your ex about safety for your kid.
Teach him/her to call 911 first....
Put a dog bowl out by a door
Explain the importance of locking each door as it’s encountered...even if she’s going in and out to get grocery
Just general safety stuff...I’m sure there is more, but I’ve been drinking and am going to sleep soon

I’m sorry your kid is involved in all this

I wouldn’t piss on my ex if she was on fire, but I get your kid is in the equation.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11288 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post