SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Thunderbird and Yahoo Mail
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Thunderbird and Yahoo Mail Login/Join 
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted
I’ve not been having any luck in trying to set up a thunderbird account where the server is yahoo mail

Has anyone any experience in setting this up?

Posts: 53750 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Try this.

I know some mail services needed a "webmail" access established for IMAP to be provisioned for the user account. Then you should be able to set up Tbird to access your Yahoo mail account.

That is what this does.

https://forums.cox.com/discuss...rd-on-windows/152252

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 44405 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhtagmember:
I’ve not been having any luck in trying to set up a thunderbird account where the server is yahoo mail

Has anyone any experience in setting this up?
Are you, by any chance using a VPN? Many providers are starting to block IP address blocks used by known VPN endpoints for non-paying "customers."

What is the DNS name of the Yahoo IMAP server, or its IP address? (Further research shows this to be imap.mail.yahoo.com. There are ways to check this out (e.g. Telnet to port 143 on that server and see what kind of prompts you get), no connect to TCP/143, but there is one on 993). FUrther investigation requires some working knowledge of TCP/IP and TLS/SSL concepts.

After looking at the link posted by our resident monkey genius, I would first suspect that your T-bird's implementation of OAuth2 lacks some feature that Yahoo insists upon. Perhaps a T-bird upgrade or reinstall might fix this. I recall having the same issue with GMail-T-bird integration at one point, but not how it got resolved.

The Wikipedia page for Mozilla Thunderbird states that the software supports OAuth, but is silent on what version. The page provides this link "for Outlook users transitioning to Thunderbird" which may be of some help. A ducky for Thunderbird Oauth provides a number of links that look like they might be helpful.

Posts: 6740 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
Not using a VPN. SigMonkeys solution is the path I’ve been going down and I hit a roadblock when I click the ‘Done’ button.

It opens up a very big yahoo mail screen and I need to use the task manager to close it down.

I will give it another go today.

Posts: 53750 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post