SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    De-Tinting Factory Windows?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

De-Tinting Factory Windows? Login/Join 
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted
We recently got a 2022 Ford Edge Titanium. The side windows are very heavily tinted. It is difficult at night to see clearly out these windows. Is there any way to lighten it up a bit?

Thanks

Posts: 5679 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
On a factory window tint it is made into the glass. You'd have to replace the window panes with non tinted glass.

Posts: 28685 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
The factory window tint is a dye. It is likely that you have additional tint from a film that is applied to the window. Visit a reputable tinting shop and ask them to see if film is applied and if it can be easily removed.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5216 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
This doesn’t make sense. Is there a difference in the tint between front and back windows? The car didn’t leave the factory with “very heavily tinted” windows. I think you just need to take the car in to a detail shop and have aftermarket tinting removed from the front side windows. If I’m wrong I’ll make a Forum acknowledgment.

Posts: 13594 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
The front sides are heavily tinted? If so, that's likely not factory. If it's the rear that's tinted, that is likely factory.

Most manufacturers I know of won't tint the front at the factory, too many different state laws to deal with.

If your front sides are tinted too much, it's likely an aftermarket. Cost of removing tint is about the same as applying tint. Think $150-200 for most markets.

Posts: 13311 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
If you want to try DIY removal, wait till summer heat arrives. Put some Simple Green in a spray bottle, put down some towels and spray down the windows with the tint then close it all up (windows up, doors closed) in the sun for a few hours. That should be enough to make it peelable. Spraying it at the seam while peeling will help it along.

Bear in mind that no matter how you go about it, removing the tint will likely ruin any rear defroster lines you have.

Posts: 7408 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
Roll the window down a bit at night? Big Grin

Posts: 9297 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
I have rolled the window when driving at night, but it has been very cold.

Posts: 5679 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
The side windows shouldn't be too hard to De-tint.

Posts: 7408 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sounds like the previous owner put on aftermarket tint. Put the window down half way and look at the top inside edge of the window. You should be able to see where the tint film stops, usually about a 1/4 inch from the top.

You can watch some Youtube videos on tint removal but it may be worth to pay and have it done. Any place that installs tint will remove it. It should be less than $100.

Posts: 5466 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I had an older car, window tint was starting to bubble and blister. I found something on the internet, said to spray it (saturate!) with ammonia. That softened the tint film nicely and I was able to remove it with a scraper.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 31442 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vote the
BASTIDS OUT!
Picture of yanici
posted Hide Post
Hmmmm... Now don't get this wrong. But, most car comprehensive insurance pays 100% for window breakage. Wink

John

"Building a wall will violate the rights of millions of illegals." [Nancy Pelosi]

Posts: 2436 | Location: N.E. Massachusetts | Registered: June 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of goingbroke
posted Hide Post
These DOT feckers aggravate the hell out of me about my tow trucks having tinted windows when they come form the factory like that!

"A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition." - Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 5062 | Location: South of Atlanta | Registered: July 05, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Republican in training
Picture of DonDraper
posted Hide Post
I think a tint shop would use a steamer to remove it.

--------------------
I like Sigs and HK's, and maybe Glocks

Posts: 2282 | Location: SC | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'll probably get ragged on for it but I think window tinting should be illegal. But I am someone who used to be able to anticipate what may happen in traffic by actually looking thru the windows of the cars in front of me.

I'll also note that steering wheels shouldn't have airbags in them, instead they should have long steel spikes powered by priming compound. In very short order folks who insist on doing dumb shit like texting and driving wouldn't be around anymore.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5770 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
This video should give you all the info you need to remove tint: