SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    BLT season is upon us!
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

BLT season is upon us! Login/Join 
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
The misguided people who put cheese on it and call it a BLT are probably the same ones who add beans to a recipe and call it chili.

Great looking tomatos, though!

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30669 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No joy in Mudville for us. All ours have blossom end rot from the hot wet weather we had in July.

Posts: 1514 | Location: Ypsilanti, MI | Registered: August 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Made double cheeseburgers last night out of second half of the tomato. Tomato was too big for the jumbo sized buns and hung over 1/4" all around the bun.

Anyone got any recipes using tomatoes; 3 sq ft of cooking space; a microwave; and a grill?

My current kitchen set up.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20822 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spiritually Imperfect
Picture of VictimNoMore
posted Hide Post
We bought 1/2 a hog from our local processor earlier this year. The 140lbs of pork included a nice amount of hog jowl.
This year's BLT season has effectively been turned up to "11".

Posts: 3805 | Location: WV | Registered: January 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
I’m sure that this is a minority opinion, but I like Roma tomatoes for my BLTs. More flesh, less juice, and fewer seeds. And I like the flavor too.

Two thick slices out of the middle fit perfectly, with no overlap, on the smallish German-baked pumpernickel (toasted) that I use. Thumann’s Düsseldorf mustard and onion.

Then I eat the two end pieces of tomato separately, with salt, and mayo sprinkled with dill weed.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8955 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of barndg00
posted Hide Post
Good looking tomatoes, large with small seed/gel pockets. German-Johnson perhaps? Mine started out great this year, many nice ones, but the heat has really slowed production and have developed some Blossom End Rod. I put a heavy dose of fast acting lime to try and save it, we'll see how it works. I have a MASSIVE crop of Sungold cherry tommatoes, though, have learned to make fresh salsa with those as we can't eat that much salad. the color is off since they're yellow, but it tastes great and uses a bunch of them.

Posts: 2155 | Location: NC | Registered: January 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of barndg00
posted Hide Post
u
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
I’m sure that this is a minority opinion, but I like Roma tomatoes for my BLTs. More flesh, less juice, and fewer seeds. And I like the flavor too.

Two thick slices out of the middle fit perfectly, with no overlap, on the smallish German-baked pumpernickel (toasted) that I use. Thumann’s Düsseldorf mustard and onion.

Then I eat the two end pieces of tomato separately, with salt, and mayo sprinkled with dill weed.

There are a lot of tomatoes out there that are more flesh and less seed/gel. In NC, Ggerman-Johnson works well and has great flavor, a classic that can cover an entire piece of bread with larger ones. Check your local ag extension for what works well in your area.

For me, when I have an abundance of tomatoes, I eat them fresh, very coarsely chopped, with salt, pepper, and a healthy splash good aged balsamic vinegar and a little olive oil. Maybe add some basil. It's summer in a dish to me...

Posts: 2155 | Location: NC | Registered: January 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That BLT looks great! I was also wondering what type of tomato that is? For the next growing season I am looking to grow large, meaty tomatoes such as this one...

Posts: 266 | Registered: June 03, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
I've been on just a plain tomato sandwich kick lately. 'Better Boys' tomatoes from the yard, some crusty French bread, and Duke's mayonnaise.

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15483 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ubelongoutside:
No joy in Mudville for us. All ours have blossom end rot from the hot wet weather we had in July.

Allow me to cure that problem next year.
Put two calcium tablets in the bottom of the planting hole.
This will eliminate that . Don't water the leaves with city water,base of plant only,chemicals in water for their treatment purposes will scorch the leaves
I use water I catch from gutters and stow in totes,best crop ever this year,great year and sold out every time at our little farmers market.

Posts: 22410 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love BLTs. Crispy bacon with Hellman’s mayo, Mmmmmm!

Posts: 507 | Registered: February 14, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dsiets:
"You know I wish that I had Jesse's sandwich.
I wish that I had Jesse's sandwich.
Where can I find a BLT like that?"

Rick?

Is that you ?

Big Grin

Posts: 4917 | Registered: June 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Turning_gal:
That BLT looks great! I was also wondering what type of tomato that is? For the next growing season I am looking to grow large, meaty tomatoes such as this one...

It's a better boy or a beefmaster, I'll check the tag when I get home. It's growing by far the largest tomatoes in my garden. This was second largest of the year I harvested. Look at plate for size comparison, it's yuge.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20822 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BB61:
I like putting avocado slices on my BLTs now. It almost feels wrong but, it's yummy.

We are having BLATs tonight!
Smile

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24117 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
BTW – I mix some Cholula Green Pepper hot sauce into the mayo that I put on my BLT. Very tasty!

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8955 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Hey Jesse, have you tried BWLTs (bacon weave lettuce tomato)? It doesn’t taste any better or worse, but it’s more photogenic.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23257 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Turning_gal:
... type of tomato that is? For the next growing season I am looking to grow large, meaty tomatoes such as this one...

Sorry checked and squirrels pulled up the tag. They do that for some reason and it pisses me off. I buy two kinds every year I remember the names of, Jet Star (lots of medium sized fruit that is crack resistant and not sour) and Sweet100 (sweet/mild low acid cherry tomatoes that produce crap tons of fruit). I always buy better boy, beefmaster, big boy, better boy, big beef, etc. types because I love a tomato that can span an entire sandwich and is meaty with low seeds/liquids. Due to the squirrels and my crappy memory I can remember the names of the monsters I like the best.

quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
Hey Jesse, have you tried BWLTs (bacon weave lettuce tomato)? It doesn’t taste any better or worse, but it’s more photogenic.

Nope, but I'm willing to give it a try for company, too lazy to do it for the two of us, if I have a BLT party, I'm doing it!

quote:
Originally posted by 45 Cal:
quote:
Originally posted by ubelongoutside:

Allow me to cure that problem next year.
Put two calcium tablets in the bottom of the planting hole.
This will eliminate that . Don't water the leaves with city water,base of plant only,chemicals in water for their treatment purposes will scorch the leaves
I use water I catch from gutters and stow in totes,best crop ever this year,great year and sold out every time at our little farmers market.

Another option to fix it after fact is buy fast acting lime making a slurry with it and then pouring liquid from slurry on the affected plant. Afterwards take the undissolved lime and use it to side dress remainder of plants.

My best producing plant of the year had bottom end rot on first ripe one. Did emergency treatment, and have picked 20+ already between squirrels and me.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
I hate you.

And yeah, that looks awesome!

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12417 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jprebb
posted Hide Post
That tomato looks amazing!

How far are you from Maryland? I might be making a road trip soon! Big Grin

JP

Posts: 2053 | Location: Maryland | Registered: April 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just a old southern boy, white bread mayo, a thick slice of home grown vine ripe mater (not that store bought refrigerator crap) oh you don’t need that other fancy stuff, bacon and lettuce, so it’s just a mater samich.

Posts: 1833 | Location: central Alabama | Registered: July 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post