SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Puss caterpillars’: What are they and how dangerous are they
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Puss caterpillars’: What are they and how dangerous are they Login/Join 
posted
They may look cute and cuddly but they’ve also been described as one of the most venomous creatures in the U.S. Ever heard of “puss caterpillars”?

Many Central Florida residents are currently experiencing the return of the inch-long crawlers typically found on oak and elm trees. The caterpillars (also known as “asps”) are covered in furry-looking hair — which hide “extremely” toxic spines that stick to your skin, according to the Fish & Wildlife Foundation of Florida.

Woman arrested at Las Vegas airport tells police they’re only bothering her because she’s so ‘good-looking’
Puss caterpillar stings can involve itching, burning, rashes, lesions and swelling — sometimes in several places on the body.

Measuring in around an inch long, the puss caterpillar is common in Texas, Florida, New Jersey and Arkansas, in addition to surrounding areas. The bugs are typically seen in fall and spring months.

Then 15 year-old Logan Pergola, of Central Florida, told WFLA in Tampa a puss caterpillar stung him while he was out with his family, leaving a large grid-like mark on his wrist.

“It’s burning,” he told his mom before the pain radiated to his chest.

IMG_4865_1529444621381.JPG
(WFLA)
Looking at photos of the caterpillar, you might wonder: where are its head and legs? They’re there, just hidden by hair. Texas A&M University’s AgriLife Extension explains puss caterpillars have chewing mouthparts.

Interesting (gross) fact: puss caterpillars propel their feces. University of Florida says this may be to keep feces off their food.

After a winter cocoon phase, the caterpillars will emerge as flannel moths — also known as southern flannel moths. Adults have wingspans around 1-1.5 inches long, Fish & Wildlife Foundation of Florida says. Wing colors are usually yellow and black (front wings) and cream yellow on hid wings. Their thoraxes are typically orange.

While it’s best to leave them alone altogether, experts say if you do get stung, get the spines out of your skin as soon as possible using cellophane tape. Ice packs, oral antihistamine, and hydrocortisone cream can also be used to help with the pain.

Even though southern flannel moths are less hazardous than puss caterpillars, officials say you should still probably resist touching them.

link:
https://wgntv.com/news/puss-ca...-dangerous-are-they/

Posts: 17252 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post

Looks harmless enough to me...

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43911 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
We have saddle back and stag horn caterpillars here.

The stag horn aren't so bad, but the saddle back will damn near well put you in the hospital.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34130 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
cleaning up some stuff in the yard/wood line a few years ago and I got hit by a Buckhorn caterpillar

stung a bit at first, got progressively worse, and then just hurt,

next morning it was still a bit tender, and the area was swollen for a week

they suck,,,,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10427 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Well I don’t know, but if I see one I’m coming up for air.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29713 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
Puss caterpillars are bad MF's. Ask me how I know.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20321 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knowing a thing or two
about a thing or two
Picture of hray
posted Hide Post
Agreed the worst sting I have encountered. Way worse than the Florida scorpion that tagged me on my pinky toe. I went to take trash out one morning and unbeknownst to me there was one on the handle of garbage can. I grabbed / palmed that mother fucker full on. Immediate pain with instant palm sweeting. Off and on for the next 6-8 hours I paced in the house cause I couldn’t sit still due to pain. I got chills/sweets off and on too. What it felt like was I was shaking hands with silver back gorilla and the gorilla was crushing my hand. That pain was then radiating to my elbow and shoulder. Did I say this went on for 6-8 hours cause it did. They are bad ass. Hray

P226 NSWG
P220 W. German
P239 SAS gen2
P6 1980 W. German
P228 Nickel
P365XL
M400 SRP

Posts: 1142 | Location: South Miami Dade | Registered: May 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
I haven't seen one of those since I was a kid playing on the two hilly, wooded acres my cousin lived on. We caught one in a jar and our mothers collectively identified them as asps and told us not to mess with them at all. They didn't issue that kind of warning for anything else except water moccasins.

Posts: 7266 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
My daughter in law accidentally (who would do it on purpose?) touched a puss moth, and it hurt her badly for several days. There are different kinds, and some hurt more than others.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
https://youtu.be/1xqMY8UAGgg

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31455 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:
Well I don’t know, but if I see one I’m coming up for air.

Big Grin

Posts: 13682 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post