SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Reports: Biden admin orders ammo maker to stop selling 5.56
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Reports: Biden admin orders ammo maker to stop selling 5.56 Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Next he will Exec Order the CMP to stop selling "Weapons of War" to the public.

Posts: 4690 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
I need to get my reloading die set for 5.56. I got tons of brass for it.

Posts: 8657 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGguy229
posted Hide Post
This motherfucker really wants to auger-in in November and then in 2024.

Posts: 1721 | Location: South.....Carolina | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Insufficient manufacturing capacity? Worker shortages.

quote:
Originally posted by DoctorSolo:
What's to stop all of the other manufacturers from ramping up production to meet demand?

Serious question.

Anyone who cares about this isn't voting Democratic anyway,

quote:
Originally posted by SIGguy229:
This motherfucker really wants to auger-in in November and then in 2024.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Superimpose the ,Merriam-webster definition of fascism over the actions of this administration. See if there's much of a difference.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29607 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
The way I read it, this is bad, but not that bad. Even if actually implemented, it only chokes off one relatively small source of one type of ammo. It doesn't stop anyone else from making it, nor does it affect M193 (the "standard" 55-grain FMJ), let alone .223.

Posts: 27834 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
Read another EO he would like to do is that if a firearms manufacturer has a Federal contract that would not be able to sell firearms to civilians.

Maybe some more CEOs need to channel their inner Ronnie Barrett...

Posts: 367 | Location: Southwest Missouri  | Registered: April 08, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Plugugly:
Maybe some more CEOs need to channel their inner Ronnie Barrett...

The best idea yet.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The point is it will do nothing to stop mass shootings. It is just intended to punish people who didn't break the law. Engaging in spite for political purposes is the folly of weak leaders.

Posts: 4690 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by StorminNormin:
Are there even 5.56 dies available to the public?? I’ve looked and can’t find any. The AR I lost in that boating accident in the gulf was chambered for both, so I have .223 dies.

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11052 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:
quote:
Originally posted by StorminNormin:
Are there even 5.56 dies available to the public?? I’ve looked and can’t find any. The AR I lost in that boating accident in the gulf was chambered for both, so I have .223 dies.

They are generally one in the same because the exterior dimensions of the .223 and 5.56 case are the same.
I have RCBS dies that are marked .223/5.56
https://www.rcbs.com/dies-and-...series/16-11107.html

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25353 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:

5.56 and 223 have the same exterior specs. It’s the higher pressure and the throat of the 5.56 chamber that’s different.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11246 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Uppity Helot
posted Hide Post
Total asshat move. Perfect fit for the current (mid)administration. I am more of a M193 fan so FJB.

Posts: 3128 | Location: Manheim, PA | Registered: September 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
They're after my Lucky Charms!
Picture of IrishWind
posted Hide Post
A few weeks ago I visited my LGS. Supply is starting to build, but prices too much for my taste. But in the 5.56mm shelf, they must have score a deal. 1/2 the boxes were Winchester M855 62gr. Since most ranges around here are indoors, and those that allow rifles have a strict no steel tip policy, they were not moving.

Lord, your ocean is so very large and my divos are so very f****d-up
Dirt Sailors Unite!

Posts: 25075 | Location: NoVa | Registered: May 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Back in 2015 the ATF attempted to ban this ammo but it got reversed.

ATF Bans Sale of M855/SS109 Green Tip Ammo Citing Armor Piercing Capability

https://www.itstactical.com/wa...piercing-capability/

If you’ve been reading ITS long enough, you may remember an article I wrote about four years ago on Military Ammunition and Why Green Tip M855 is Not Armor Piercing. In the article, I referenced that M855/SS109 had been exempted from the list of AP classified rounds by the BATFE (Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.) While M855/SS109 has carried the exemption from a 1986 prohibition on manufacture, importation and sale, (but not possession) of “armor piercing” rounds, it’s clear from the definition that it should have never needed to be “exempted.” The exemption was granted at that time because there was a “sporting purpose” for the round, which is now being overturned because of the proliferation of AR Pistols, or “AR-type handguns” on the market that didn’t exist when the exemption was placed on the round. The Federal Government defines armor piercing ammunition in 18 USC sec. 921(a)(17), which I’ve included below:

UPDATE: They Listened! ATF Reverses Plan for M855 Green Tip Ammo Ban… For Now

https://www.itstactical.com/wa...55-ammo-ban-for-now/

Posts: 12575 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Newsweek says the WH is denying that this occurred: https://www.newsweek.com/white...es-civilians-1717433

Posts: 920 | Location: Midwest | Registered: April 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by M1Garandy:
Newsweek says the WH is denying that this occurred: https://www.newsweek.com/white...es-civilians-1717433

He says they story is not true and says we will not let the plant close?????

Not sure he even as a clue what he is talking about. No one said anything about the plant closing.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25353 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't like this administration. I like the anti-American careerists embedded in our Federal government even less. As far as my lack of access to M855, I can't get too excited, as I consider it to be of marginal performance. I really WOULD like a good supply of M855A1. Until that happy day, I'll value my small supply of M2 AP like it was diamonds.

Posts: 780 | Registered: January 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Meh. 855 takes multiple rounds for it to penetrate level 4 armor. Two rounds for M2 AP. Unless you are shooting SLAP rounds.

It sucks they are trying to limit ammo. 855 is not that great by any stretch. 855a1 different and better but still not great.

I am fine with 193 and other defensive rounds.

Posts: 1740 | Registered: December 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AzMikeCFD102:
Reports: Biden admin orders ammo maker to stop selling 5.56 rounds to Americans

Posts: 10827 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post