Reports: Biden admin orders ammo maker to stop selling 5.56

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/320601935/m/9520097294

June 18, 2022, 10:11 AM
AzMikeCFD102
Reports: Biden admin orders ammo maker to stop selling 5.56
Reports: Biden admin orders ammo maker to stop selling 5.56 rounds to Americans

https://americanmilitarynews.c...rounds-to-americans/

The Biden administration has reportedly ordered an ammunition manufacturer to stop selling Americans some 5.56mm rounds, which is the most common for the AR-15 semi-automatic rifle.

In an effort to severely limit the sale of ammo used in AR-15s, the U.S. military has ordered Winchester – which manages the U.S. Army’s Lake City ammunition plant – to stop selling its excess M855/SS109 (5.56mm) ammo to the public, The Truth About Guns reported citing a source close to the matter.

The Lake City plant, located in Independence, Missouri, produces nearly 30 percent of the commercial market’s sales of 5.56 ammo.

Larry Keane, the National Shooting Sports Foundation’s general counsel and senior vice president, first revealed the administration’s plans in a tweet on Wednesday.

“The U.S. Military is actively considering shutting down the sale is M855/SS109 ammo from Lake City to the commercial market. @NSSF @NRAILA #GreenTipAmmo @POTUS @JoeBiden,” Keane tweeted.

The cartridges that Keane mentioned are very popular forms of 5.56 ammo. The Biden administration’s new order will likely disrupt the supply of 5.56 ammo and cause prices to increase.

The Lake City plant is owned by the federal government but operated by private contractors, according to the National Rifle Association, and produces “well over a billion rounds of ammunition per year.”

“Ammunition in excess of the government’s requirements has long been made available to the private commercial market. Lake City’s output, according to some estimates, accounts for one-third of the 5.56 caliber ammunition available to U.S. consumers,” the NRA continued. “Needless to say, this attack on America’s ammunition supply is just the most recent in a long line of anti-freedom attacks by the Biden Administration.”

The restriction of Americans’ ammo supply is the latest anti-gun action supported by President Joe Biden, who has repeatedly called for the outright ban of AR-15 rifles. Biden praised a recent bipartisan agreement on new gun control measures – which includes incentives for state-run gun confiscation – but argued it still isn’t enough.

“Obviously, it does not do everything that I think is needed, but it reflects important steps in the right direction, and would be the most significant gun safety legislation to pass Congress in decades,” Biden said in a White House statement on Sunday. “With bipartisan support, there are no excuses for delay, and no reason why it should not quickly move through the Senate and the House. Each day that passes, more children are killed in this country: the sooner it comes to my desk, the sooner I can sign it, and the sooner we can use these measures to save lives.”

(Story from the American Military News - dated June 17, 2022)

MAGA

NRA
Gun Owners of America

June 18, 2022, 10:47 AM
ensigmatic
Thanks for the heads up.

Just ordered a 420-round can of 62 gr. 5.56 Lake City stuff from sgammo--while I could still get it.

I know that ain't much, but I hadn't really planned to buy any more gun/ammo stuff, right now, what with the hit our retirement investments have taken and all. Sometimes ya gotta do what ya gotta do.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher
June 18, 2022, 10:52 AM
lizardman_u
So is he going to start another war somewhere? Maybe here in the US?

June 18, 2022, 10:57 AM
erj_pilot
Cue the 5.56 vs .223 discussion…

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24
June 18, 2022, 11:01 AM
DoctorSolo
What's to stop all of the other manufacturers from ramping up production to meet demand?

Serious question.
June 18, 2022, 11:15 AM
Cookster
The other manufacturer’s very well may be inclined to do just that if it is profitable for them.

Given the possibility of raw material issues, labor challenges and increases in energy costs they may be perfectly fine with maintaining their status quo with current manufacturing capabilities.

That said, SG Ammo has cases of PMC .223 for ~.40 / round.

June 18, 2022, 11:22 AM
old rugged cross
Winchester better tell him to screw off and they will run their business as they see fit.

They will get one chance.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"
June 18, 2022, 11:30 AM
oddball
Looks like they are concentrating on stopping specifically green tip ammo, SS109 and M855, for purchase by the public. Assholes. But it seems XM193 and other headstamps would be unaffected.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965
June 18, 2022, 11:33 AM
ensigmatic
quote:
Originally posted by oddball:
Looks like they are concentrating on stopping specifically green tip ammo, ...
Which is precisely why I bought what I bought while I could still buy it Smile

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher
June 18, 2022, 11:36 AM
nhtagmember
Do we want another group buy of green tip?
June 18, 2022, 12:12 PM
Il Cattivo
Not that this would affect foreign surplus sales of 5.56 in the US - much of which is green tip but doesn't have the tip painted green.
June 18, 2022, 12:16 PM
gpbst3
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
Winchester better tell him to screw off and they will run their business as they see fit.

They will get one chance.

“The Lake City plant is owned by the federal government but operated by private contractors”

Not that simple

June 18, 2022, 12:20 PM
P220 Smudge
Great.

Alright, who has the best price on 855?

June 18, 2022, 12:28 PM
ensigmatic
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
Great.

Alright, who has the best price on 855?
A quick check of PSA, SGAmmo, and Target, the only three I checked, had SGAmmo with the best price.

June 18, 2022, 12:28 PM
corsair
quote:
The Lake City plant, located in Independence, Missouri, produces nearly 30 percent of the commercial market’s sales of 5.56 ammo.

YIKES!
Waaaaay too much market concentration at one company/plant.
June 18, 2022, 12:29 PM
Prefontaine
So a no gooder just shrugs the shoulders and says OK then, AR10 it is and 308 up your ass. No bullets at all? They’ll google or buy a book that teaches them how to make a bomb out of household cleaners and such.

These politicians are fucking morons. You want to really do something raisin? Ban media outlets, any and all, including you-boob wannabees from listing the perp’s name. That’s that the families of school shootings have asked for. Don’t promote or name the suspect, at all. Take the media coverage away, the notoriety. That would do 1000X better than how you are handling shit.

If you ban X or get Y to stop selling Z, these ass hole lunatics will find another way.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone
June 18, 2022, 12:30 PM
konata88
I hope Trump is making a list of things to reverse when he's back in office.....

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book
June 18, 2022, 12:35 PM
corsair
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
I hope Trump is making a list of things to reverse when he's back in office.....

...because Biden & Friends sure did, Day-1, page-1 laundry list of things to do. Mad
June 18, 2022, 12:41 PM
ZSMICHAEL
Serious question.[/quote]
Executive decision. They could raise prices AND increase production. You have to careful in terms of alienating your customer base.
June 18, 2022, 12:48 PM
nhtagmember
Ban politicians and not guns and most problems will solve themselves