SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What is This Cloud Formation?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What is This Cloud Formation? Login/Join 
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted
We were driving near our house yesterday early evening, and while at a stop light, I was able to take this picture.

About six hours later, we had strong storms, tons of rain, lightning, etc.

I bet I probably have an extra two or 3 inches of water in the pool this morning. Does anybody know what this club formation is as I’ve never seen anything like it before?

Posts: 3735 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Screen grab from "Revelation: The End of Days" showing Jesus' second coming...slightly spooky. Revelation 1:7

Posts: 655 | Location: in the PA woods | Registered: March 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cumulonimbus. A.k.a. a supercell. (Mesocyclone.)
This according to my son who is a weather bug.

Posts: 971 | Registered: July 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pace40:
Screen grab from "Revelation: The End of Days" showing Jesus' second coming...slightly spooky. Revelation 1:7

Q

Posts: 26475 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
If that was yesterday, seems to be a lead up to horrible weather last night into today, at least here on the Illinois side of the river. Tons of rain, pretty big hail and about as much lightning as I can remember. A weird last half day.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8364 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
I'm no expert, but I've seen enough movies to know that in about 6 seconds the spaceship from "Independence Day" is gonna appear.

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6344 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
It’s a super cell.

We see them with some frequency out here on the western plains, in fact, I just took a picture of one the other day at sunset that’s kinda pretty. I would post it now, but it would be too big; I have to resize it on our desktop.

Those super cells are bad medicine on a wildland fire because the winds tend to flow out in all directions. They can carry hail and heavy rain at maturity.

Posts: 13301 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
Ripley, the pic was taken yesterday at 6 pm.

The storm hit around midnight and kept waking up my dog Ollie and I all night. Hail, lightning, tons of rain, etc.

Hard keeping my eyes open at work today.

Posts: 3735 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Way back, when I was a student pilot, my instructor told me to avoid the nympho-cumulus.

I asked what he meant, and he said "Don't fly in the fucking clouds."

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30729 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No More
Mr. Nice Guy
posted Hide Post
It's a cumulonimbus, aka thunderstorm, which has topped out into a different layer. Sun hitting it from a low angle makes for a spectacular scene.

Warm air rises, which is why thunderstorms prevail in hot sunny conditions. The sun heats the earth's surface which heats the air at the surface, and columns of hot air start rising. The air cools as it rises, reaching the point where the vapor condenses out to liquid water, and it becomes a visible cloud. The condensation process warms the air, which increases its upward rise. Air inside the cloud moves upwards primarily.

The atmosphere naturally gets cooler as altitude increases. If it gets a lot cooler faster, it is unstable air. Think of summer with air near the surface getting warmed up, so the air aloft is a lot cooler than surface air, and it is unstable. (Contrast that with winter, where the surface is cold and thus air aloft isn't much cooler, and is thus stable, resulting in a cloud layer not vertical cumulonimbus).

So this rising humid warm air starts condensing, getting warmer, and rising into cooler air in an unstable air mass. So it keeps rising, more vapor condenses out, warms the air, and it keeps going up.

That's how a thunder storm cloud is built.

Eventually most of the moisture has condensed out, the air has risen up high enough that it is well below freezing, and the surrounding air is no longer colder than the cloud. At very high altitudes, above about 30,000 ft, the air doesn't get much cooler by going higher, so the propensity of a cloud to grow upwards is much less. So the air in the cloud stops rising. That is the top of the cloud.

Sometimes, as in the picture above, the cloud rises into a substantially different layer. Usually very stable, sometimes with a strong windspeed. The upwards moving air hits that layer and can't penetrate up, but has enough momentum to spread out sideways. Sort of like smoke rising up to a ceiling and spreading sideways.

Posts: 9482 | Location: On the mountain off the grid | Registered: February 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
Way back, when I was a student pilot, my instructor told me to avoid the nympho-cumulus.

I asked what he meant, and he said "Don't fly in the fucking clouds."

Smile Smile Smile

Serious about crackers

Posts: 9002 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the details Flysig.

Originally, I was wondering if there was going to be a special event as alluded to by both pace40 and 12131.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by h2oys:
I was wondering if there was going to be a special event as alluded to by both pace40 and 12131.

I'll tell you what. I'm glad I didn't see that with a full bladder.

Posts: 655 | Location: in the PA woods | Registered: March 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Here's the photo I mentioned above. A week or less since I took it.

Posts: 13301 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by h2oys:
Ripley, the pic was taken yesterday at 6 pm.

The storm hit around midnight and kept waking up my dog Ollie and I all night. Hail, lightning, tons of rain, etc.

Hard keeping my eyes open at work today.

Thanks h2oys, I saw the pic and StL location and started typing without reading your info.

Midnight here as well and the lightning was unbelievable. Across the whole horizon, all directions and constant activity for ten or more minutes. Nothing directly on top of us but I had to wait a while before hitting the sack. Eek

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8364 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
Here's the photo I mentioned above. A week or less since I took it.

Neat Pic and thanks for sharing!

Picture of ftttu
posted Hide Post
Several years ago, a supercell nailed our area causing wind, hail, and flooding damage to most of the homes. I remember as it was coming, I thought it strange there was non-stop thundering. I will post image here if I can find it.

Retired Texas Lawman, now active reserve

Posts: 1182 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 03, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
I would have been expecting the thousand mile an hour shock wave in a few seconds.....

Just a massive thunder head building up.. you know what the outcome was....

The prognosticators don't want to tell you this but these have been going on here for about 2 billion years....

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
I believe the scientific name is "mothership" Big Grin

Posts: 3526 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIG's 'n Surefires
Picture of M-11
posted Hide Post
My lightning tracker had the South County/Jefferson County areas hit with over 1200 flashes. Heck of a light show.

"Common sense is wisdom with its sleeves rolled up." -Kyle Farnsworth
"Freedom of Speech does not guarantee freedom from consequences." -Mike Rowe
"Democracies aren't overthrown, they're given away." -George Lucas

Posts: 6880 | Location: IL, due south of the Arch | Registered: April 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post