SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Basecamp, one of tech's most woke companies announces no more politics. "Back to basics, individual responsibility, back to work".
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Basecamp, one of tech's most woke companies announces no more politics. "Back to basics, individual responsibility, back to work". Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I sure hope this is the furthest extension of this shit - going back to minding your own business.

Posts: 5166 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is well timed - we are doing much the same in our company, including the shit-canning some HR initiatives, such as the peer to peer which was always doomed for obvious reasons. I think the boat is now tilting from the social / woke left to a right sizing required where a company provides services or products (or both) and stay in their swim lane and out of the woke wake

Posts: 513 | Location: SEMO | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Couldn't happen soon enough. I always thought 360s were stupid, and fortunately left corporate culture before they became common. I imagine also that management at my old firm was worried what people would say about THEM in a 360.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12797 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
NYT reports 1/3 of Basecamp's employees have left over this policy.
Way to take out the trash!!

Link

Posts: 18089 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
Way to take out the trash!!

Link

I won't shed any tears if they go under given their far-left past however, finding replacements shouldn't be hard...Biden and this team has probably loosened up the H-1B visas.

Posts: 14692 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JoseyWales2
posted Hide Post
If you're so triggered that you quit your job because you can't discuss your woke politics at work, the company is probably better off for it. It's likely you didn't actually do that much work.

----------------------------------
"These things you say we will have, we already have."
"That's true. I ain't promising you nothing extra."

Posts: 580 | Location: Missouri | Registered: October 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hopefully, these changes will cut costs and increase productivity to the point where that 1/3 doesn't need to be replaced.

Posts: 17152 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:

Outstanding! Get rid of the dead wood.

When I worked as a software developer I was given a due date for anything that I needed to accomplish.

I never welcomed any distraction from the work assignment. I was there to do my job and earn my pay, not to have a social life at work.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30733 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
On the wrong side of
the Mobius strip
Picture of Patrick-SP2022
posted Hide Post
From the linked article:
quote:
Basecamp had 57 employees, including Mr. Fried, when the announcement was made, according to a staff list on its website. Since then, at least 20 of them have posted publicly that they intend to resign or have already resigned, according to a tally by The New York Times.

I wonder how many of these people who claim they are going to resign are actually just virtue signaling and have zero intention of quitting.
Not unlike the celebs who claim they were going to leave the US if Trump got elected.

I applaud the company for doing this and like others have mentioned, I hope the trend gets picked up by other companies.

Posts: 4130 | Location: Texas | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Patrick-SP2022:
From the linked article:
quote:
Basecamp had 57 employees, including Mr. Fried, when the announcement was made, according to a staff list on its website. Since then, at least 20 of them have posted publicly that they intend to resign or have already resigned, according to a tally by The New York Times.

I wonder how many of these people who claim they are going to resign are actually just virtue signaling and have zero intention of quitting.
Not unlike the celebs who claim they were going to leave the US if Trump got elected.

I applaud the company for doing this and like others have mentioned, I hope the trend gets picked up by other companies.

If they actually did quit, I'd give them some credit for standing up for their convictions (even if those convictions are akin to a temper tantrum).

Back in the day, I worked for a smallish software company. Like a lot of tech companies, they used to provide goodies for the kids. My company's thing was bagels - every morning they laid out a spread of bagels and cream cheese in the breakroom.

Then we got a new CEO. He did away with the free bagels. Several employees quit because of it. I thought it was pretty stupid to quit a high-paying job with benefits over bagels. But, I guess they saw it as their way protesting the end of the hipster start-up culture at the company.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6424 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sig2392:
Apparently they copied this from coinbase.

Lets hope it is a new trend.

https://www.chicagobusiness.co...g-politics-talk-work

Hopefully it's a new trend, CEO's and staff recognizing that getting involved into politics can lead to a disorganized, disgruntled and divided workforce, reduced productivity and cooperation between employees over some political agenda.

The trend of looking Woke in order to attract customers, or, detract from being a target online of some hipster leftist progressive group hopefully is coming to an end.

Enough companies do this and hopefully it will squash the cancel company movement...

Posts: 23585 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CoolRich59:

I thought it was pretty stupid to quit a high-paying job with benefits over bagels.
It would take a real moron to quit because of bagels. Really stupid.

Now bialys, that's a different story, I could see quitting because of no free bialys.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30733 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Originally posted by CoolRich59:

I thought it was pretty stupid to quit a high-paying job with benefits over bagels.
It would take a real moron to quit because of bagels. Really stupid.

Now bialys, that's a different story, I could see quitting because of no free bialys.

Unless they were cinnamon bialys from Bagel King Bakery. Big Grin

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6424 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
That all seems self-evident to me.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post