SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What's your "set for life" income number?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What's your "set for life" income number? Login/Join 
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Six hunnit fiddy dollah

Posts: 26905 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
'Bout, 'bout a hundred dollars....

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29701 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I plan on retiring at 55 (9.5 years). My planner says I need roughly 2.5 mil. at 55 (I am on track with my investments... a bit ahead thanks to the President).

The planner says with 5% growth, I will have a just under a million left when I die at 100. I don't plan on living to 100 and I don't have kids, so why I need 2.5 mil is beyound me. I need to find someone who wants my NFA toys and money when I keel over at 70. Maybe a SigForum Karma?

The "Boz"

Posts: 1532 | Location: Central Ohio, USA | Registered: May 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green Mountain Boy
Picture of Jus228
posted Hide Post
I'd be pretty happy with $100 right now.

!~God Bless the U.S. Military~!

If the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off

Light travels faster than sound, this is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak

Posts: 5563 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
$200k a year will do me just fine

Posts: 1178 | Location: Upstate  | Registered: January 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
They way we live my wife and I could live like royalty on $150k a year.

Posts: 13743 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Middle children
of history
Picture of Brett B
posted Hide Post
By the time I can retire (probably 25 more years) I suspect our country will continue to bankrupt itself trying to pay for entitlements. Therefore I am assuming:

I won't see a penny from social security
Medicare will be basically turned into Medicaid (only the "poor" are eligible, hence I won't qualify)
Health insurance/healthcare costs will be 10x more expensive then they are now
The fed gov will continue trying to inflate our way out of debt, driving up the cost of living even more
The local gov will continue to jack up my property taxes to pay for their pet projects
College tuition costs for my kids will also continue to skyrocket
Etc.

So I'd say $250k/year starting right now, with yearly cost of living increases, should probably do it.

-------------------------
SCAR forend upgrades:
www.regosys.com
www.instagram.com/regosystems/

Posts: 2597 | Location: Midwest | Registered: September 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Browndrake
posted Hide Post
I was thinking that if I had everything paid off, I could probably get by just fine with 60K/year or so. Like many have said, who really knows what the cost of living/medical expenses are going to be 20 to 30 years down the road. I'm just going to try and save as much as I can and adjust my lifestyle accordingly.

Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be men of courage; be strong. Do everything in love.
- 1 Corinthians 16:13-14

Posts: 888 | Location: Southwest Michigan | Registered: March 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Minimum of 250k/year (after taxes), for life.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Well, obviously we are all different. Tons of factors.

$30,000x25 years is $750,000???

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19187 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
62, retired at 60.

All my working life I have stated that my goal was to retire a Millionaire, and to die broke. Big Grin . My kids don't seem to find that as funny as I do.

Of course a Million just ain't what it used to be...

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4129 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cparktd:
All my working life I have stated that my goal was to retire a Millionaire, and to die broke. Big Grin . My kids don't seem to find that as funny as I do.

Tell them you are going on a SKI vacation...Spending the Kids Inheritance. Big Grin

Posts: 5760 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
About $3.5 million I could retire and be happy. I have a long way to go

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10729 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doin' what I can
with what I got
Picture of Rob Decker
posted Hide Post
If I was making $150k/year right now (which is way more than I actually make) I'd probably feel zero need to make more money. Hell, even $100k.

However, I'm single, I've got guns to buy, projects to complete, women to chase, sights to see, houses to pay off, retirement savings to accrue, an empire to build, adversaries to dominate. No wife or kids, and it's not like inflation is going to go away.

And even if I found a number where I was totally content, it's not like I'd really stop. I might sit back and enjoy having "arrived" for a bit but sooner or later I'd get bored and start looking for the next goal to achieve.

Not so much "he who dies with the most toys wins," but it'd be nice to know the kids and grandkids are set for life. And to be honest, who doesn't like toys anyway?

----------------------------------------
Death smiles at us all. Be sure you smile back.

Posts: 5542 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
uber-geek
Picture of rwdflynavy
posted Hide Post
I'll let you know in June when I retire from the Navy. I think between my pension and Roth IRA ladder, I'll be in good shape.

"To disarm the people is the most effectual way to enslave them." ~George Mason

chartprepping.com Retirement Planning and Random Musings from a Military Perspective

Posts: 3391 | Location: Big Lick Virginia | Registered: April 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Your "set for life" number needs to account for inflation, probably 2-3% a year. If you retire young and are healthy, what is generous now would be very skimpy when you're in your 80's.

Posts: 18068 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16699 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
Your "set for life" number needs to account for inflation, probably 2-3% a year. If you retire young and are healthy, what is generous now would be very skimpy when you're in your 80's.

Yes, that's why I said to assume it was indexed. I've heard some financial planners say to inflate out to age 70 or so and then level off. Most people back off on their spending considerably in the later years. The first few years of retirement are the expensive ones with travel, new hobbies, etc.

Posts: 8957 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
quote:
JALLEN said:
One of the luckier moves I made was to get supplemental F coverage. That covers everything. My premium is up to around $750 a quarter, plus of course the basic deduct from Social Security. I have Part B coverage, and since one of my meds runs about $8500 a month, the other meds I pay for are practically nothing.

WOW! you blow through that doughnut hole rather quickly, don't you?

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of anglertoo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
9.2 billion USD and the island of Sardinia

Out of curiosity, why Sardinia?

“To see what is right and not do it, is want of courage”. Confucius

Posts: 177 | Location: North Central Connecticut | Registered: February 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post