SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Chimney bricks
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Chimney bricks Login/Join 
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted
It seems that some of the mortar between the bricks at the top of my chimney has come out. I'd like to fix it before any of the bricks fall. Is it as simple as climbing a ladder and jamming fresh mortar in between the joints or do I have to dismantle the chimney and rebuild it?

To be clear, the chimney is unused, it vents neither smoke nor NG fumes and there is no longer anything connected to it from inside the house. I'm wondering if I can just dismantle it to a lower height and cap it off instead of fixing it at its current height.

Posts: 45565 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Yeah you can re-do the mortar in the joints, it’s called pointing.

And you can remove it brick by brick to below the roofline and then just fix the roof, but make sure someone has a clear knowledge the fireplace is no longer for heating it just for looking now

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11476 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
You stated that the chimney was not being used but could it be used in the future???? How much trouble would be involved to restore to operational status?????? Could be a factor to a potential buyer should you consider selling the property in the future....,,,,, drill sgt.

Posts: 2089 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
Yeah you can re-do the mortar in the joints, it’s called pointing.

And you can remove it brick by brick to below the roofline and then just fix the roof, but make sure someone has a clear knowledge the fireplace is no longer for heating it just for looking now
There’s no fireplace.

I’ll look into pointing. Thanks.

Posts: 45565 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by drill sgt:
You stated that the chimney was not being used but could it be used in the future???? How much trouble would be involved to restore to operational status?????? Could be a factor to a potential buyer should you consider selling the property in the future....,,,,, drill sgt.
I don’t think it would ever be used again. The only thing I could imagine would be if I wanted the utter aggravation of installing a wood burner. That’s a hard no from me.

posted Hide Post
I would take it down to good mortar and cap it .

Posts: 4272 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They sell tubes of mortar colored caulking just for this purpose. Might be easier than packing wet mortar up the ladder.

Posts: 996 | Location: Central Ohio | Registered: January 05, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by selogic:
I would take it down to good mortar and cap it .
I’m sure I’ll have to check Code but this is probably the best plan.

posted Hide Post
Today's "This Old House ' episode covered this very subject.
They might have been in New Orleans, LA.
If you will be searching for it.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 55210 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
Today's "This Old House ' episode covered this very subject.
They might have been in New Orleans, LA.
If you will be searching for it.
Excellent. I’ll try to find that, thanks.

posted Hide Post
We had water weeping into our house through our chimney and leaking into our living room. We hired a company that specialized in chimney's to grind out the mortar and replace it. They also replaced several bricks that were broken and put a new mortar cap on and sprayed a sealant over the entire chimney.

Posts: 6712 | Location: Virginia | Registered: January 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Genorogers:
They sell tubes of mortar colored caulking just for this purpose. Might be easier than packing wet mortar up the ladder.

This^^^ works pretty well. Easier than pointing. Some actually has sand embedded in it for a more authentic look and added durability.

Make sure the top (cap) is sealed and not cracked.

Collecting dust.

Posts: 4184 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post