SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Are glass screen protectors on newer cell phones advantageous nowadays?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Are glass screen protectors on newer cell phones advantageous nowadays? Login/Join 
Road Dog
Picture of BennerP220
posted
I have put glass screen protectors on my cell phones since I have had Samsung or Iphones. I wonder with how strong the glass screens are now, do I really need a glass screen protector now? I feel it may be redundant but that may not hurt anything. On the other hand, if it doesn't help in any way and isn't necessary I just won't worry with them any longer.

I have an iphone 12 for personal and an iphone 11 for work.

Do you use a glass screen protector on your current cell phone? If not have you had any issues?

First world problem, I know. I have been thinking about this and thought I would ask all of you your thoughts on the subject.

Thank you in advance.

Posts: 3446 | Location: Southwest Indiana | Registered: December 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Saved mine a couple of times recently. Cheap insurance.

Posts: 1362 | Registered: October 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Screen protectors are cheap, why even consider skipping it?

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20830 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
Yes on my phone and my wife's phone.
They are cheap and my wife buys them in packs of 2 or 3.
So far it has saved her phone twice.

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2573 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ftttu
posted Hide Post
My family and I used to get those expensive poly shields applied at the mall on our phones and iPads...that was until these tempered glass ones came out. They are EASY to apply and are inexpensive in addition to being effective for protecting your screen.

Everyone in my family have had them replaced after they gave their life in protection of our iPhones. I can imagine a product that could replace these screen covers.

Retired Texas Lawman, now active reserve

Posts: 1178 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 03, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
The glass on modern mid-to-high-end cellphones is highly scratch resistant.

It is not impossible to scratch and it is not too hard to crack.

I haven't used a screen protector on a cellphone in years. I carry my phone in a pants pocket with nothing else in it. After a year or two of use I'll usually have a couple of small scratches on the screen.

I do use a phone case with a small lip that sticks up in front of the screen. This helps keep the screen from hitting the ground first if I drop the phone, which helps keep it from cracking. I'm not talking about one of the huge Otterbox-style cases, just the form-fitting silicone ones with a small lip on the front.

I haven't cracked a screen in probably a decade. My wife has cracked screens twice, both times by dropping her phone, once while the phone had a film screen protector on it.

My daughter once dropped her phone and cracked the tempered glass screen protector on her phone without cracking the screen underneath.

I would personally only consider tempered glass screen protectors because the film type make the experience of using a touchscreen much more painful.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
Phone screens (and glass screen protectors) have an oleophobic coating on them. The coating helps resist smudging and fingerprinting, but also, it gives the screen a super slick surface feel when you touch it. This slick coating helps with swiping and gesturing.

Because it's just a coating, it will eventually wear off.

I change out my screen protector every year or so to get a nice new coating on there. Even if my phone does not benefit from additional protection, I prefer the feel of a screen protector with a fresh oleophobic coating on there.

I have screen protectors on the touch screens for my cars too for the same reason.

My in-laws and my wife crack several tempered protectors every year, and the phone underneath is always undamaged. Not saying that the protector was effective in preventing damage, but over the 10+ protectors they've broken, it hasn't hurt.

Posts: 13049 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
My last one helped. My screen cracked after a drop and the screen protector held the broken glass together and made it useable until I got it repaired.

I use a privacy screen protector that makes it difficult to see my screen at an angle. So regardless of how much they protect the screen itself I’ll always use one for that purpose anyway.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15256 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I never use them, I tried once with one of my first iPhones and pulled it off after 5 minutes. Not sure if they’ve gotten better, but it seemed to not be quite right optically just a tiny bit, and I just didn’t like that feel of something on top of the screen like that.

My advice, just get a good quality case with a lip on it that will protect the screen if dropped.

Posts: 33827 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The are superfluous and pure profit for the store. I haven't used any since 2016 when I got an iPhone 7.

Seriously, think about paying $30+ for a thin piece of plastic or even glass that is worth pennies. It is a bigger scam than "high resolution" HDMI cables.

I used them before but changed 5 years ago when the cost of a protector was more than the cost of a screen replacement under Apple Care (you have to get Apple Care if you buy an iPhone on the Apple Store plan). And since then I have never had a broken/cracked screen, and never scratched one enough to notice.

I have noticed that the oleophobic coating is wearing off on my iPhone 11 Pro. Clean it with a microfiber cloth and it looks perfect, but finger oil does smear and smudge more in the high use areas.

Posts: 4727 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Those lips don’t work on gravel. True story: I got a new phone before a hunting trip, but couldn’t get a case or screen protector before I left. I had them shipped to where I was hunting. The case arrived and I put it on. The screen protector arrive the next day, I bent over to pick up the box, my phone slipped out of the front pocket of my overalls, and found the smallest piece of gravel on the concrete side walk cracking the screen.

Sand is the other reason I use a screen protector. It scratches even the fanciest phone glass.

I pay $7 or $8 for a 2-pack for my iPhone 12 Pro.

Posts: 10968 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lefty Sig:
Seriously, think about paying $30+ for a thin piece of plastic or even glass that is worth pennies

$30?

The last screen protector I bought was like $8 for a 2 pack. $4 a pop is super cheap insurance.

I've scratched and cracked many a screen protector over the years, but never my screen.

Posts: 32522 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
I've had 1 phone that ended up getting scratched badly and 1 that got a cracked screen from a 2 foot drop onto carpet. All I can figure is that there was a small piece of debris on the carpet that the phone hit just right and broke.

Screen protectors are cheap insurance, I don't think I'll ever go without again.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3515 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of magholderusa
posted Hide Post
I always put a screen protector on my phone. I used one of those glass protectors that was a step above the screen protector and I think that was the only time that my screen actually broke. It was covered by insurance. But not worth the extra money.

Ricky Taggart
Magholder.com
Utah, USA

Posts: 216 | Location: Cedar Hills, UT, USA | Registered: September 28, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
The are superfluous and pure profit for the store. I haven't used any since 2016 when I got an iPhone 7.

Seriously, think about paying $30+ for a thin piece of plastic or even glass that is worth pennies. It is a bigger scam than "high resolution" HDMI cables.

$30+ for a screen protector? I've used screen protectors on every iPhone I've had, around 4 for me and 4 for Mrs. Flash and all of those together might cost $30.00...maybe.

Here's what I'm using now. 3 screen protectors for the iPhone XR for $7.99

https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod..._title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

amFilm Screen Protector Glass for iPhone 11 / iPhone XR (6.1" display) (3 Pack) With Easy Installation Tray

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
Seriously, think about paying $30+ for a thin piece of plastic or even glass that is worth pennies

$30?

The last screen protector I bought was like $8 for a 2 pack. $4 a pop is super cheap insurance.

I've scratched and cracked many a screen protector over the years, but never my screen.

I just paid $9.10 for a 3 pack of tempered glass front screen and rear camera hump covers for an iPhone 13. Even comes with a plastic installation jig so the screen is centered upon application.

Posts: 13049 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Short answer, yes. A $2 piece of glass not only gives impact protection, it keeps your glass from getting scratched to hell.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15597 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
I never use screen protectors. I hate them. Well over two years of use and my screen on my S9 is still perfect.

Admittedly I treat my phones very well.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30410 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cheap insurance. Everyone in our family has them. I'm extremely careful with my phone, everyone else, not so much. I can't count the times they've saved a screen from getting scratched or broken.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3537 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
quote:
Do you use a glass screen protector on your current cell phone? If not have you had any issues?

Yes.
No.

And hur-rah for oleophobic!!!

Posts: 9855 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post