SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Dry wall installation experts, gurus, etc. please step in.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dry wall installation experts, gurus, etc. please step in. Login/Join 
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted
I’ve given up trying to get a subcontractor to install the dry wall in my basement. I’ve had one company bid and their bid was so outrageous that my neighbors gasped (who last year could find dry wallers). So, I’m thinking I’m going to have to do it myself. I have a bad back and so I’ve been looking around for something to help with the ceiling and found this: https://www.amazon.com/Drywall...553518_t1_B000ZIEOHW

Is this gimmicky or does it work as well as it appears? Anything else you all suggest besides straight edge, square and chalk line? I’ve got an air compressor but I’m not sure what is the best option to install the sheetrock screws too. Finally, common mistakes and/or tips would be appreciated? For reference, I’m doing a family room with ceiling speakers, a laundry room, two bedrooms, hallway and a bathroom all total about 1300 square feet. I don’t have a separate basement entrance and I have a landing for the basement stairs so I’m thinking I will have to remove a window to get things into the basement. I do have two teenage boys who will be helping so I do have that going for me.

Thanks!

Posts: 12465 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
You can probably rent one of those lifts.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11280 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
Rent one of those and pick up a couple of our south of the border friends. Here they hang out near a small Latino strip plaza

Posts: 5319 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
You can borrow mine. They make hanging the ceiling way easier if you’re one guy doing the work. Aren’t you in Utah county?

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29696 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That lift will work fine for the ceiling. Research how to install drywall as there is a right and a wrong way to install the boards. Boarding is the easy job, mudding is where most people quit and end up with a divorce.

Posts: 113 | Location: Grande Prairie AB | Registered: May 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by npbra:
That lift will work fine for the ceiling. Research how to install drywall as there is a right and a wrong way to install the boards. Boarding is the easy job, mudding is where most people quit and end up with a divorce.

hang the drywall yourself and find someone to mud. I have a guy i've used several time to hang and mud. the last price he gave to to do a new wall i framed up was about the same price he did two rooms that I added to the basement a few years before. I asked him what it would be just to mud and that price was reasonable as it just required one guy and a day of labor. And I have vowed to never mud drywall again.

Posts: 729 | Location: Raleigh, NC | Registered: May 15, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
Many many years ago I did my girlfriend's mom's basement. I made up some panel jacks out of 2x4's for the ceiling panels. The panel lift looks easier, but a jack or two in addition might be helpful. Just a tee a little less than 4' across the top, with the leg a couple of inches longer than the height of the ceiling. Remember to buy 12' long ceiling panels if your room is wider than 8', taping end butts is a real PITA. Also there is a reason the pros use screw shooters in preference to nails.

Posts: 6470 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Personally I'd find a couple high school kids to help me, build a couple 2x4 'T' braces and have at it. Once the ceiling is done, you can probably handle the rest on your own.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We actually did all our own Sheetrock on the building we put up a couple years back.

It saved us a ton of cash and wasn’t really that difficult. Dirty and time consuming, but not too difficult.

Are you located anywhere near PDX? If so, I have all the tools you would need, including a lift.

"Si vis pacem, para bellum"

If you want peace, prepare for war.

Posts: 309 | Location: Clackamas, OR | Registered: January 03, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
That lift rents for $25 a day at the local rental place. $100 for a week.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4129 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Not gimmicky, a necessity, IMO.
Years ago I made one out of 2x4 when I put sheetrock in a transition/crawlspace area.
I did it all by myself when I was also younger and stupider.
No doubt I would use a device like indicated.

Posts: 22907 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ShouldBFishin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BB61:
I’ve been looking around for something to help with the ceiling and found this: https://www.amazon.com/Drywall...553518_t1_B000ZIEOHW

Is this gimmicky or does it work as well as it appears?

I believe this is the one I bought a couple years ago. I bought it because I have a few areas to do and renting one would have cost more than buying this one. It's not the best drywall lifter I've ever used, but it certainly worked well for me. The casters are really cheap. After I was done with it, I loaned it to the neighbor and a caster broke. I replaced the broken caster with one I could find locally. Bottom line, it wasn't what I would call pro quality, but it did the job.

I used my Dewalt 1/4" impact driver for the drywall screws. That works really slick.

If you're going to do your own taping and mudding - I use a wet sponge (rinsing out in a bucket of water frequently) between coats instead of sanding. That's a lot less messy. Sometimes I will sand after the final coat, but often it is just as smooth as sanding.

Posts: 1801 | Location: MN | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Start watching some YouTube videos. Hanging is one thing, finishing is another. It annoys me to no end that I can’t finish drywall.

I recommend one of these as well, they work great and keep you from punching through the paper with a regular bit.

Century Drill & Tool 68592 #2R Drywall Power Screw Setter, 2" length https://www.amazon.com/dp/B012..._api_i_LJ1fFbCBEGRC6

Posts: 2679 | Location: The Low Country | Registered: October 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:
You can borrow mine. They make hanging the ceiling way easier if you’re one guy doing the work. Aren’t you in Utah county?

^^^^
Yes. I got one more lead after I posted this today and then it's me and the boys. Thanks for the offer, I'll email you if I strike out again.

Posts: 12465 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If this is your first rodeo with drywall I would suggest using 8’ sheets, not 12’. The 12 footers cut down on muddling but are a pain to handle without breaking. 8’ can even be a struggle for the first timer.

Posts: 2132 | Location: south central Pennsylvania | Registered: November 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigSwede:
Rent one of those and pick up a couple of our south of the border friends. Here they hang out near a small Latino strip plaza

Please don't.do this. Hire people who are here legally, and preferably someone with a business license and insurance.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20822 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
Buy the lift and when you're done with it list it on Craigslist. You'll sell it easily because it's one of man's greatest inventions. It's pretty sweet to put 12 footers on the ceiling by yourself. Screws not nails

Posts: 3454 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TRshootem
posted Hide Post
If you rent the panel lift I would also rent the correct screw gun. I did Paint and Drywall contracting for several years and some of the stuff folks did, absolutely should have stayed with their day job.
Example: A 50' X 24' day light basement with 9' ceilings....all sheets aligned nice and pretty. no half sheet offset per row. They paid me a lot of cash to fix. Inspector had a fit. New construction failure else where in the build.

Posts: 1320 | Location: Montana | Registered: October 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

^^^^
Yes. I got one more lead after I posted this today and then it's me and the boys. Thanks for the offer, I'll email you if I strike out again.

Cool

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29696 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

^^^^

Cool

If he’s in range to loan the tool, then he’s in range to spend a day showing you how it works. Wink

Wait a sec, I’m in range too. Eek

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8217 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post