SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I need an adhesive or double sided tape
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I need an adhesive or double sided tape Login/Join 
Picture of holdem
posted
On my bicycle I need to attach a plastic part (cadence sensor) about the size of a quarter to an aluminum part (crank arm). Both parts are flat.

I used the 3M double sided tape supplied with the plastic part, but that 3M double sided tape is a millimeter or so thick, and that takes up the tiniest bit of tolerance that I have and causes interference. I need to attach these parts together with double sided tape that has the thickness of Scotch / masking / duct tape, or use an adhesive.

The tape or adhesive needs to be similar in strength to the 3M outdoor tape. The parts will be in motion, but nothing extreme, and they will get wet on occasion. However, it also needs to be something that when I need to remove it, while maybe not super easy, it needs to be possible and leave no damage on the aluminum part. If it hurts the finish on the plastic part, no big deal.

What do I want to look for / buy at the hardware store?

Posts: 2292 | Location: Orlando | Registered: April 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Dab of 3M 5200 will work. It’s for marine industry, works when wet and has a littl flex .

But buying a whole tube would be too expensive.

Do you have any silicone caulking or the like? Try that.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11286 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
There is a foam-backed tape, made by 3M or maybe Scotch brand that seems to be what you are looking for. It is about 1/8" thick and has adhesive on both sides. In the tape display at your local Deep Homo or Lowsers store.

Alternatively, maybe try high-strength adhesive-backed Velcro for quick mount/dismount capability.

OK, so neither of these can be expected to meet the clearance requirement. Seems like that pretty much leaves you to glue, which will compromise the easily-removed/replaced requirement. Maybe thin tape that, instead of being double-sided and applied between the parts, it would be wrapped around them, and if you're counting crank turns, you could probably move out the crank to the pedal, and get more frame clearance that way...

Posts: 6477 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
I think I would use JB Weld for Plastics.
https://www.amazon.com/J-B-Wel...83795260945725&psc=1

I always keep some of this in my tool chest.

YMMV

Posts: 22910 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by architect:
There is a foam-backed tape, made by 3M or maybe Scotch brand that seems to be what you are looking for. It is about 1/8" thick and has adhesive on both sides.
<snip>

As I understood it, holdem said that 1 mm was too thick.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8959 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Gorilla makes a great double sided tape. I’ve used it inside a shower door to hold a drip edge in place as well as in outdoor applications with good results.

Posts: 1362 | Registered: October 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned for
showing his ass
posted Hide Post
Take a look at the small tubes of Flex glue ... a couple months ago used for the first time for a small repair and surprised how strong it was. Maybe this will work.

Posts: 3190 | Location: PNW | Registered: November 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
E6000 adhesive bonds very well and can be removed with no damage to the surface. The sensor would have to be positioned and held in place (tape?) while the E6000 sets up. I'd give it a day to be sure. A thin layer is all you'd need.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8347 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree with the 3M 5200. You can buy it in 1 OZ tube. Store it in a baggie in the refrigerator and it will last a while if you need to use it again.

https://winred.com/ <<--Support the cause.

Posts: 171 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: July 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
JB Weld. You can buy it all over, strong and will be thin between the parts.

Posts: 9516 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
Very small zip type wire ties. The very small ones approx 1mm thick. .................... drill sgt.

Posts: 2008 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
100% silicone caulk, like this tube of GE clear for $6 at Home Depot. Way more than you need, but it works great as an adhesive, and can be pulled apart later and peeled off pretty cleanly.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/GE...lk-2708911/100091111

Posts: 3437 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
You could try double sided woodworking tape. Amazon, or any woodworking specialty store.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
I’d try a drop of Super glue. You can remove the sensor by giving it a sharp whack from the side with a dowel and hammer.

Posts: 26910 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have some really thin 2 sided tape. 2" wide. How much do you need? Email me your address and I'll send you a piece. My email is in my profile.

Posts: 582 | Registered: September 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
E600 or something like it.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
I believe the part being attached to the crank is a magnet and the part on the frame is a reed switch. Would a thinner magnet fit? Or file down the plastic housing.

Posts: 10950 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MaSigchist
posted Hide Post
3M Transfer tape - it is an extremely thin (.05mm) very high bond double sided tape.

-Scott

SPDTool LLC - Pocket Sized Field Armorer Tools
http://www.spdtool.com

-Certified Sig Sauer Armorer
-Certified Smith & Wesson M&P Armorer
-NRA Pistol Instructor
-NRA Shotgun Instructor
-NRA Range Safety Officer
-NRA Metallic cartridge & Shotgun Reloading Instructor
-MA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 910 | Location: Greenfield, MA USA | Registered: May 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I do this all the time. Some epoxy. I use west system because I have it always around, but any of the quick set versions at the store will be fine.
You definitely don't want 5200. It has poor adhesion on aluminum that has not been prepped (which I wouldn't do to a crank) and bothers some plastics. It's likely a simple dab of silicon will do just as well if you clean the aluminum well.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
Dab of 3M 5200 will work. It’s for marine industry, works when wet and has a littl flex .

But buying a whole tube would be too expensive.

Do you have any silicone caulking or the like? Try that.

3M 5200 if you NEVER want to remove it! Use 4200 if you want to remove it in the future.

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3762 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post