SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Engines for the B29
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Engines for the B29 Login/Join 
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted
Engines for the B29, found this interesting.

Posts: 2681 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
3° that never cooled
Picture of rock185
posted Hide Post
Thanks for posting. What an incredible operation that was!

NRA Life

Posts: 1566 | Location: Under the Tonto Rim | Registered: August 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've spent quite a bit of time working on those engines. Both the R-3350 for the B29, and the R-4360's for the development of the B-29, the C-97.

The 3350 was the most advanced piston engine built. The large radials had a habit of catching fire, and there was a LOT to go wrong. It often did.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Wow, that’s incredible.

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 7004 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted Hide Post
About 5 years ago I was working at home, and from outside I could hear this low rumble getting louder. It sounded like impending doom. Well, I ran outside just in time to see B29 'Fifi' pass right overhead. It was at an airshow not too far away, offering rides. What a sight. What a sound!

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4931 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Yellow Jacket
posted Hide Post
What is astounding to me is that they constructed the entire plant, achieved full production and then shut down completely in just a little over 3 years and 3 months.

Today it would take longer than that just to get the facility built.

God's mercy: NOT getting what we deserve!
God's grace: Getting what we DON'T deserve!

"If the enemy is in range, so are you." - Infantry Journal

Bob
P239 40 S&W
Endowment NRA
Viet Nam '69-'70

Posts: 1099 | Location: Fayette County, GA | Registered: April 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The good old days!

Posts: 735 | Registered: February 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Citadel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
I've spent quite a bit of time working on those engines. Both the R-3350 for the B29, and the R-4360's for the development of the B-29, the C-97.

The 3350 was the most advanced piston engine built. The large radials had a habit of catching fire, and there was a LOT to go wrong. It often did.

Two of the most complicated piston engines ever built. Once they worked out the bugs, Became an Industry Standard.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/...-3350_Duplex-Cyclone

R4360 powered the F2G Corsairs. Shame they were not able to bring them into Squadron Service but they were the ultimate development of the Piston Power Train.

Posts: 823 | Registered: February 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I actually have a couple of exhaust valves from those engines.

Posts: 964 | Registered: August 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now and Zen
Picture of clubleaf206
posted Hide Post
The Lockheed Constellation used the same power plant, the joke in the industry was the Constellation was the “finest four engined tri-motor ever made”.

Posts: 12185 | Location: The untamed wilds of Kansas | Registered: August 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
They had one of the R-4360 cutaways at the Air Force Museum. A marvel of architecture and engineering. Eek

Posts: 9171 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Amazing!

The speed at which they built the plant, assembled the tooling and made it operational is nothing short of American ingenuity and greatness.

Interesting too how the engine testing was set up to power generator's that powered the plant itself.

Thank you for posting!

Rob

Posts: 3495 | Location: Lehigh Valley, PA | Registered: March 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
quote:
Today it would take longer than that just to get the facility built.
Yep, 3 years would maybe cover all the approvals.

Posts: 4015 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DC3S
posted Hide Post
Although Lufthansa has shut down the Constellation project at Auburn-Lewiston airport there is some good video out there of the overhaul of the R3350-988TC18EA2 engines and components.

https://youtu.be/Xr88hFNm6D8

"Freedom is a light for which many men have died in darkness."

Posts: 210 | Location: FL USA | Registered: February 03, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A friend who is an A&P used to work on a civilian-owned Corsair. He told me the spark plugs were torqued to something like 230 or 250 ft/lbs., and that he had to attach an extension to his torque wrench and hang from it to get that much torque!

I'll admit, he was a skinny guy, but the image of him hanging off that huge motor, dangling from an extension bar, is still funny today!

During WWII, my college room mate's father was assigned to the 509th, flew B-29's out of Tinian. Not the A-Bomb, though. I guess he lit a lot of fires in Tokyo.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9177 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I will get by
Picture of Rustyblade
posted Hide Post
A glimpse of the 'can-do' attitude of the America that Trump is making Great Again.

More power to him

Do not necessarily attribute someone's nasty or inappropriate actions as intended when it may be explained by ignorance or stupidity.

Posts: 1291 | Location: Delray Beach | Registered: February 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by newtoSig765:
A friend who is an A&P used to work on a civilian-owned Corsair. He told me the spark plugs were torqued to something like 230 or 250 ft/lbs., and that he had to attach an extension to his torque wrench and hang from it to get that much torque!

I'll admit, he was a skinny guy, but the image of him hanging off that huge motor, dangling from an extension bar, is still funny today!

There was a scene in the TV show 'Ba Ba Black Sheep' where the maintenance chief goes on 'strike' and makes the pilots do all their own pre flight/post flight maintenance. It showed guys hanging off their torque wrenches trying to get enough ft/lbs. Wink

Posts: 7076 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I'd hate to be the guy that had to change 336 spark plugs on the Convair B-36 ... at Thule Air Base. Eek

Posts: 28007 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SgtGold:
There was a scene in the TV show 'Ba Ba Black Sheep' where the maintenance chief goes on 'strike' and makes the pilots do all their own pre flight/post flight maintenance. It showed guys hanging off their torque wrenches trying to get enough ft/lbs. Wink

Now that you mention it, I vaguely remember that episode.

When the show was running, I took a vacation in southern California and stopped at Chino Airport, one of the Corsairs was there awaiting maintenance. Relative to this thread, they had a B-50 fuselage there as well. It was the improved model of the B-29.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9177 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have lived the
greatest adventure
Picture of AUTiger89
posted Hide Post
I just finished The Making of the Atomic Bomb by Richard Rhodes, which contained this little tidbit.

Early engines for the B-29 had a part made of magnesium, which, as many know, is highly flammable once it gets hot enough to combust. Many of the engines caught fire during flight.

Rather than replace the magnesium part, engineers upgraded the engine cooling systems to prevent the engines from catching fire.

Phone's ringing, Dude.

Posts: 6064 | Location: Upstate SC | Registered: April 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post