SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Speakers for office audio
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Speakers for office audio Login/Join 
Picture of konata88
posted
I'm looking for some bookshelf speakers for my home office. Output source is a Pioneer SC-75 receiver (with PC, Fire TV and DVD attached). Usages include:

1. PC webcasts
2. Streaming videos via TV
3. Music via Fire TV or DVD (CD)

Current speakers are micro Energy LCR speakers and sub.

I'm looking at used Paradigm Atom V6 or 3seMk3 - bookshelf-ish speakers.

For those that are familiar w/ one or both models, thoughts? Let's say they are the same price. I've never listened to either of them.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12743 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Atom. No Question.

Posts: 4727 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
No question?

Okay, Atom it is. Thanks!

"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12743 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Elac too big?

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14039 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Elac Debut? Size might be okay.

But:
1. I've never heard any Elac speaker
2. I know I like Canadian speakers like Paradigm. I know I don't generally like British speakers (Kef, B&W, Tannoy, Monitor Audio (some lines are okay).
3. Elac Debut - made in prc (big minus).

They are a little more expensive than Paradigm. If they sound better to me, I might give them a shot. But would need to try them first. And made in prc is a huge negative to me - they would need to compensate somehow.

Lot's of great speaker choices; I've just found that Paradigm is usually a safe bet for me in my price range.

Picture of JasonEuc
posted Hide Post
If you know you like the Paradigm sound (so do I) go with ‘em. For your stated use, I think they’ll be perfect.

Posts: 1307 | Location: Lehigh Valley, PA | Registered: February 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
What price range are you in?

If there are any Dynaudio’s that fit your budget, that’s my choice for sure.

Posts: 6374 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: January 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:
Elac too big?

I have Elac bookshelf. Good speakers.
THey dont compare to Mac1s bass but the compliment them perfectly at low power.

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6320 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Price range is cheap as possible (I'm only looking at used; in the $200-400 range) but must sound good to me in my room with my music (jazz, classical, vocals). Paradigm usually fits the bill for me in my price range. I like Vienna Acoustics but out of my price range. I've had Polk, Infiniti, and a variety of popular British makes.

So far, Paradigm has been the most palatable. But I'm not familiar with all models and years. Hence the OP - not familiar with either model nor mode years.

Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
Price range is cheap as possible (I'm only looking at used; in the $200-400 range) but must sound good to me in my room with my music (jazz, classical, vocals). Paradigm usually fits the bill for me in my price range. I like Vienna Acoustics but out of my price range. I've had Polk, Infiniti, and a variety of popular British makes.

So far, Paradigm has been the most palatable. But I'm not familiar with all models and years. Hence the OP - not familiar with either model nor mode years.

It’s been my experience that reputable brands typically have similar sounds across price points, so I’d say you’re on the right track going with what you know, if if it isn’t exactly what you know… if that makes sense.

Unless you go Dynaudio, of course. Wink

Here is an option, and the seller is in Sac, which I seem to remember being your neck of the woods?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dynau...id=711-127632-2357-0

Posts: 6374 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: January 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

I'm kind of picturing you clinging to the arms of your chair with your tie whipping out behind you and the lamp blowing over.

===
I would like to apologize to anyone I have *not* offended. Please be patient. I will get to you shortly.

Posts: 2071 | Location: The Sticks in Wisconsin. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
NHT Super Zero is a great option too.

Posts: 4727 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use KRK V4 bi-amped studio monitors for my computer. Or I did before I had to change everything around to work at home. No amp or receiver needed. You can get decent monitors for about $200 a pair I think.

The KRK Rockit line is cheaper. Mine are from the pro line and cost more. But they are fantastic with rich midrange and no annoying hyped highs.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Lefty Sig,

Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by whanson_wi:
quote:

I'm kind of picturing you clinging to the arms of your chair with your tie whipping out behind you and the lamp blowing over.

You’re not far off… no tie for me though. Maybe I’ll post a picture of my custom made towers I built with Dynaudio components (except the sub end). They are 4 way, 6 feet tall, and a good 100 lbs each.

quote:
Originally posted by Lefty Sig:
I use KRK V4 bi-amped studio monitors for my computer. Or I did before I had to change everything around to work at home. No amp or receiver needed. You can get decent monitors for about $200 a pair I think.

KRK’s are a great value in my experience. You should be able to listen to them at Guitar Center… at least they used to be a dealer of KRK.