SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What is your theory surrounding the national debt?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What is your theory surrounding the national debt? Login/Join 
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted
Both sides refuse to reign this in. I've heard predictions as long as I've lived about the catastrophe this is going to cause. But, everything continues to chug right alone. Is it possible both sides don't fear this problem, and if so why?

Posts: 7532 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
crazy heart
Picture of mod29
posted Hide Post
I have no idea what the "end game" is.
We're in deep and it's unnerving.

What's worse, there's no end in sight.

Posts: 1782 | Location: WA | Registered: January 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
what difference does it make, there's no intent to ever pay it off

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53205 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We are at the point where the biggest budget item is the interest on this massive debt,and that is with low interest rates.This payment will become more burdensome.

Posts: 12704 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
My theory is:

very few people, especially government employees and elected leaders, give a shit, and that the number may as well be imaginary, and the threshold may as well be infinite, and the budget will never be balanced again, and they'll keep printing money and playing games on a worldwide level, and if we're very lucky it all won't crumble in our lifetimes.

No successful business or household on Earth can operate this way and survive, yet our Government somehow does, because there are so many Peters we can rob to pay the Pauls that it all gets lost and overlooked in the process, with everyone just kicking the can. It's one giant shell game, and I doubt more than a handful know the raw truth of it all.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
...there's times I'm almost convinced 'national debt' is another of the Fairy Tales told by either the Brothers Grimm or Aesop....

when such as 'bitcoin' etc has such impact on so many and even with close study I just don't grasp the reality of it, and that since the early 50s I've been warned against the dreadful impact of 'the National Debt' when I learned MY personal share was $37.00, yet here we are....

IF there is no such thing as 'sovereign borders'
then how can there be such a thing as 'national debt'???

I have suspended my search for understanding the Reality of such as "national debt" and am currently seeking a really good cup of coffee.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9855 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2BobTanner
posted Hide Post
Same thing is going to happen that all other countries have done on a paper currency based economy: declare a debt jubilee, and knock off at least two zeroes from the old currency unit and it then becomes the new currency unit; same thing the French did in January 1960. Old$100 = New$1. Frown

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2703 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2BobTanner:
Old$100 = New$1. Frown

Inflation is a hidden tax.
Unless you do it all at once, and then people notice.

The dollar has lost about 97% of it's purchasing power (to inflation) since the creation of the Federal Reserve.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24144 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
Our debt is secured by the fact that no one can really collect on it. It maintains it's value as the united states is generally seen as having a sound monetary policy. These two things check each other and generally keep the whole system in check.

Unfortunately, the soundness of our monetary policy is eroding both in the opinion of those who would hold our debt, and arguably in fact. a great example of this is the Russians and the Chinese talking about switching to rubles and yuan for trade over the dollar.

Further, we've managed to back ourselves in to a corner where no matter what we do at this point we're headed for a pretty severe crash; regardless of what we do. Because of our natural shortsightedness we're prolonging the time before that crash, but in doing so we're making the effects of that crash worse.

But understand the crash that is coming will be worse than any previous in history, and it will effect humanity as a whole. I'm honestly unsure if mankind will survive it, it may spark WW III.

Posts: 8151 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
So just use dollars as a short term medium of exchange, not as a long term store of value. Invest in assets that will ride on top of inflation, or better yet outdistance it.

quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
quote:
Originally posted by 2BobTanner:
Old$100 = New$1. Frown

Inflation is a hidden tax.
Unless you do it all at once, and then people notice.

The dollar has lost about 97% of it's purchasing power (to inflation) since the creation of the Federal Reserve.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
So just use dollars as a short term medium of exchange, not as a long term store of value. Invest in assets that will ride on top of inflation, or better yet outdistance it.

Yes, I understand that, and most people with enough investable assets try to do that. However, there are a lot of people whose savings is all or mostly in cash.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."

-rduckwor

Posts: 24144 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by goose5:
both sides don't fear this problem

Both sides figure the chickens will come home to roost on someone else's watch.

If interest rates go back to "Normal" or even a few percentage points- we'll spend more servicing the debt than is available for exspenses.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13404 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by braillediver:
quote:
Originally posted by goose5:
both sides don't fear this problem

Both sides figure the chickens will come home to roost on someone else's watch.

Yeah, the problem is a just a 'political problem'... until it becomes a math problem no one can solve.
The can can be kicked down the road... until you run out of road. No one knows for sure when that will happen.

“How did you go bankrupt?” Bill asked.

“Two ways,” Mike said. “Gradually and then suddenly.”

The dialogue above is from Ernest Hemingway’s 1926 novel, The Sun Also Rises.

It’s often attributed to Mark Twain or F. Scott Fitzgerald, or misquoted as something like “At first you go bankrupt slowly, then all at once.” But the theme is the same.

Nations go bankrupt in the same way. Banking collapses occur in the same way. Currency crises strike in the same way. They all happen gradually ... and then suddenly. Sometimes overnight.

-rduckwor

My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
At one time, the US had a coin with a face value of three cents. It was made of silver. How much silver can be had for three cents today? Invest wisely.

Posts: 9160 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:

Sorry for the thread drift, but please provide examples of the investments you suggest.

As for the OP, my theory is that once it got into the trillions the debt essentially became imaginary. In the sense that no one can imagine paying that back so we'll just have to keep coming up with other things to do.

Posts: 7495 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhtagmember:
what difference does it make, there's no intent to ever pay it off

What difference does it make there's no ability to ever pay it off.?

At $22 TRILLION DOLLARS the United State spent an entire presidential term of office, four years, spending every penny of tax revenues on payment of the debt, there would be residual debt at the end of the process.

By this I mean the USG spends every penny of tax revenue simply on paying off the debt. No Medicare no social security, no Medicaid, no food stamps, no military spending, no servicing of the debt, nothing. Ahll forms of expenditure on the discretionary AND non-discretionary expenditures by the federal government.

In short the federal government closes and locks the doors and windows and goes out of business for four years. And there was still be debt at the end of the process.

So I've decided to stop worrying about the national debt. If it crashes we're all fucked so prepare to live with the economic consequences

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31455 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
So I've decided to stop worrying about the national debt. If it crashes we're all fucked so prepare to live with the economic consequences

How do you prepare?
Do you grow your own food, or have the ability?
If so, can you defend yourself against the looters who will know you have food when they don't?

-rduckwor

Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Personally I think the attitude toward the National Debt can be described the same way we've described multiple counties having nukes....Mutually Assured Destruction. The US is the world's largest economy (and no I don't buy into the China being the biggest economy debate). If the US economy were to ever fail, for any reason, virtually every world economy would fail. So yes, we owe a lot of people a lot of money, that they essentially can't collect without destroying everything. Pretty lousy way to structure things, but that's where we're at.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
Everyone hates the Fed. I think that they basically want everyone in some kind of debt. But...prior to the Thirn Federal Reserve Bank (there were 2 others before it), and after the second was disbanded, around abouts 1936 there were 4 major depressions prior to the Great Depression.

How does a nation grow its economy from 13 agrarian colonies to the largest economic power in the world without increasing its currency supply? The gold or silver standard is impossible to go back to. Answer that and fix the world. We don’t have a true FIAT currency. Ours is a hybrid business dollar. A dollar is worth whatever it can buy of a certain business. (Stock). A dollar may have been worth more, it it didn’t matter how many you had you couldn’t buy a computer. So money bas basically become with less, or more, depending on your perspective. Compare by it to a precious metal is a bit outdated because our economy and population has vastly out grown by geometric proportion the amount of precious metals available.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
In my opinion this all started when we went off the gold standard.
When the government said the good faith of the US government meant more to back the dollar than the gold we have in reserve.
As long as we can keep printing money this will continue. As long as some one or country's will still continue to buy our debt this will continue.
At some point this will all have to stop. Will it be as bad a what is happening in Venezuela who knows.
The one thing I do know, when the US government can no longer meet its obligation to not only its creditors but the obligations to the people we will become a third wold nation fast. There will be no one to bail us out and world economy's will collapse.
My advice is to get out of debt as soon as you can, have some tangible assets, some thing that can be traded for other goods and services.
Learn to be as self sufficient as possible.

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2573 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post