SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Income Taxes. Did you ever wonder . . . .
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Income Taxes. Did you ever wonder . . . . Login/Join 
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted
What rates would be necessary to support the country IF WE STOPPED ALL FOREIGN AID?

Yeah, I know you're thinking, "They would just find other things to waste money on." But, I'm curious what the rates would be sans foreign aid.

RMD

This message has been edited. Last edited by: rduckwor,

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20321 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
It appears that the US spends just over 1% of the budget on foreign aid.

https://www.cfr.org/background...pend-its-foreign-aid

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12779 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
Foreign aid doesn't amount to a rounding error in the federal ledger. Yeah, I hate it too, but you could eliminate every dime of discretionary spending, make every single person a taxpayer and we'd still be on a kamikaze course because of entitlement spending.

Posts: 3538 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
All you need to know is discretionary vs. non-discretionary spending. The first can be changed, the second cannot be. SS and Medicare are non-discretionary and they will be our downfall if nothing else gets us first.

Posts: 3538 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
That needs to change if the federal budget is ever going to be brought under control.

Foreign aid is a small drop in a very large bucket. If you want to move the needle on spending, entitlements and defense need to be on the chopping block.

quote:
Originally posted by Rick Lee:
All you need to know is discretionary vs. non-discretionary spending. The first can be changed, the second cannot be. SS and Medicare are non-discretionary and they will be our downfall if nothing else gets us first.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
I'm pretty sure the ONE HUNDRED BILLION to Ukraine helps boost the Foreign Aid line in the, 'We haven't had an actual .gov Budget since 2009 when Obama became President', Federal non-Budget to a bit more than a rounding error! Mad

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8888 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhracecraft:
I'm pretty sure the ONE HUNDRED BILLION to Ukraine helps boost the Foreign Aid line in the, 'We haven't had an actual .gov Budget since 2009 when Obama became President', Federal non-Budget to a bit more than a rounding error! Mad

$100 billion is less than 2% of what the government spent in 2022.

It’s a lot of money but it isn’t what is driving the overall size of the budget.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
^^^So then you're saying that Ukraine has DOUBLED what the US .gov spends on Foreign Aid...Got it! Wink

Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8888 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
It would be exactly the same.
They would just find something else to spend it on.

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:
That needs to change if the federal budget is ever going to be brought under control.
If you want to move the needle on spending, entitlements and defense need to be on the chopping block.
quote:
Originally posted by Rick Lee:

It's the fig leaf Congress critters like to hide behind.
Yes, those programs can be changed. It would take more effort, because the spending continues unless the programs are changed. But nothing is set in stone.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24117 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
I think SS and Medicare are pretty much set in stone, at least they can never be reduced. IIRC, George W. Bush was the last one to even bring up reforming SS and he got excoriated for it. Rather than reforming it, it will eventually be means-tested, so millions who paid into it will then never be able to collect from it. But the program is never going to be reduced by a dime. We all know that.

Picture of 2BobTanner
posted Hide Post
There never will be a balanced budget nor will the debt ever be paid off.

For that to actually happen, the current crop of politicians would have to grow a set and be willing to accept and suffer the consequences of their actions; and that will never happen. They would rather see a collapse of the economy and of the country than to admit responsibility.

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2699 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
Social security and medicare should be self funded not paid from tax dollars. Medicaid is a big problem though.

Ever wonder how much money the government uses just to collect and manage all taxes? Heck the accessor's office in just my one county in WV has 44 employees to collect property tax.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7098 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2BobTanner:
There never will be a balanced budget nor will the debt ever be paid off.

For that to actually happen, the current crop of politicians would have to grow a set and be willing to accept and suffer the consequences of their actions; and that will never happen. They would rather see a collapse of the economy and of the country than to admit responsibility.

Seems they're working on it...Aggressively!

Live Free or Die!

Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
I'm more interested in what the country would look like if we all stopped paying income tax period.

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ryanp225:
I'm more interested in what the country would look like if we all stopped paying income tax period.

Federal prisons would be a lot more packed than they currently are, for one. Wink

Posts: 15031 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ridewv:
Social security and medicare should be self funded not paid from tax dollars.
Social Security was, until Congress "borrowed" a bunch of money from it and never paid it back.

Medicare's funding status is a bit murkier.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Internet Guru
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by joel9507:
quote:
Originally posted by Ryanp225:

Federal prisons would be a lot more packed than they currently are, for one. Wink

Wouldn't be any Federal prisons...unless those folks are working for free.

Posts: 1971 | Registered: April 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
You know, another way of looking at it might be: aren't we lucky to be living in a country that is wealthy enough to afford such largess?

Don't get me wrong, I believe the Federal Govt. is out-of-control in their spending habits, and that this trend will eventually lead to an unsustainable situation where we will all be bankrupt. But it is also gratifying to know that the USA is by far the most successful and productive country that history has ever seen, by a long long shot.

Posts: 6475 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post