SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The Trump Presidency : Year IV
Page 1 ... 901 902 903 904 905 906 907 ... 957
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Trump Presidency : Year IV Login/Join 
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sdy:

Does McAfee stand a chance to get elected in Fulton County ?

Probably not, and likely especially not if he rules against Fani, which is why I would hope he wouldn't rule with the hope of getting retained or elected as it likely won't matter anyway. We can only hope he does what's right. And anyway, who's to say there isn't something bigger for him in his future, like a federal judgeship?

But let's face it. This new challenger stepping forward now is no coincidence. It's a message, and we'd be foolish to think McAfee doesn't have his job on his mind when ruling on this case. I hope in the end he's a principled man.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30557 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get on the fifty!
Picture of Andyb
posted Hide Post
quote:
https://www.cnn.com/2024/03/12...lis-trump/index.html

The presiding judge in former President Donald Trump’s Georgia election subversion case says he is on track to order this week on whether to disqualify Fulton County District Attorney Fani Willis.

In an interview last week on WSB Radio in Atlanta to discuss the challenger he will face in his reelection bid , Fulton County Superior Court Judge Scott McAfee briefly spoke about Willis and his pending order on whether to remove her from prosecuting Trump and the remaining co-defendants.

“I gave myself a deadline because I knew everyone wanted an answer. And I’ll tell you that an order like this takes time to write,” McAfee said in the interview.

“There is a lot that I have to go through. And so, I’ve had – and again I’ll emphasize this – I’ve had a rough draft in an outline before I ever heard a rumor that someone wanted to run for this position, so the result is not going to change because of politics,” McAfee added.

“I am calling as best I can and the law as I understand it. So, I still feel like I’m on track to having that done by the deadline that I put on myself,” he said.

McAfee told the court at the end of the Willis disqualification hearings that he would take at least two weeks to decide.

McAfee talked about how the case has impacted him personally, saying he looks forward to the day he can speak with his toddler-aged children about his experience presiding over the historic case.

“What I think about is I got two kids, 5 and 3. They are too young to have any idea what’s going on or what I do.,” the judge said. “But what I’m looking forward to one day is maybe they grow up a little bit and ask me about it, and I’m looking forward to looking them in the eye and tell them I played it straight and I did the best I could.”

I hope I'm wrong but that reads like she might skate. I'm pretty jaded about our legal system though so maybe its me

"Pickin' stones and pullin' teats is a hard way to make a living. But, sure as God's got sandals, it beats fightin' dudes with treasure trails."

"We've been tricked, we've been backstabbed, and we've been quite possibly, bamboozled."

Posts: 3612 | Location: OK | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
We should know shortly.

Posts: 108081 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
https://twitter.com/bennyjohns.../1767747824031076588

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:
https://www.realclearpolitics....campaign_150605.html

... what's more, Biden ... earns just two-thirds of Black votes,..

Granted, its a poll ( and more likely propaganda than fact), but 66.6% of Black voters would still vote Democrat? In the year of our Lord 2024?

That is so disappointing, perplexing and ironic.

Posts: 15950 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
I always try to look at the positive aspects of things these days. That percentage while high is one that will continue to decline as more and more people realize the Democrat party is full of clowns that give less than zero fucks about them and their well being.

Was your life better when Trump was president or Biden? This question is simple to answer and is a great way to gauge how detached from reality some people have become.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21168 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:
Granted, its a poll ( and more likely propaganda than fact), but 66.6% of Black voters would still vote Democrat? In the year of our Lord 2024?

That is so disappointing, perplexing and ironic.

Are you kidding? In the past, if a Republican POTUS candidate received 10% of the black vote, it was considered outstanding. In 2020, Trump received a little less than 10% and is on track to drastically increase that percentage for 2024, he could likely break the 20% mark, a historical achievement. If Trump gets 33% of the black vote, the Dems would go batshit crazy.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16817 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Since the immunity issue, now I'm getting nothing but anti-Trump videos popping up on YouTube. Almost as if they are trying to convince me. Sorry, you're barking up the wrong tree.

--Tom
The right of self preservation, in turn, was understood as the right to defend oneself against attacks by lawless individuals, or, if absolutely necessary, to resist and throw off a tyrannical government.

Posts: 1529 | Location: Lehigh County,PA-USA | Registered: February 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Judge dismisses some counts against Trump in Fani Willis election interference case Judge Scott

McAffee said the state failed to provide sufficient detail in six counts against Trump and his co-defendants

Link

A Fulton County judge has quashed six counts in the Georgia election interference case against former President Donald Trump and his 18 co-defendants.

Judge Scott McAffee said in an order Wednesday that the state failed to allege sufficient detail for six counts of "solicitation of violation of oath by public officer."

"The Court’s concern is less that the State has failed to allege sufficient conduct of the Defendants — in fact it has alleged an abundance. However, the lack of detail concerning an essential legal element is, in the undersigned opinion, fatal," McAfee wrote.

"As written, these six counts contain all the essential elements of the crimes but fail to allege sufficient detail regarding the nature of their commission, i.e., the underlying felony solicited," the judge continued.

"They do not give the Defendants enough information to prepare their defenses intelligently, as the Defendants could have violated the Constitutions and thus the statute in dozens, if not hundreds, of distinct ways."

Posts: 23731 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Judge dismisses some counts against Trump in Fani Willis election interference case Judge Scott

My tea leaf reading of this is he could disqualify willis and wade, but not dismiss all remaining charges.

Posts: 7518 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
If Fani and her paramour are removed, that's likely going to be the end of the case, but the judge is not operating under this assumption. He has ruled and will rule on the motions before him, and that's all.

Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
I don't really know how it works, but I suppose if willis and wade are outed, the state could decide to start over with new prosecutors. I doubt the state would do this, so if they are dumped, I'll consider the case essentially over.

Posts: 7518 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
It would mean starting over with entire new staff. All of Fani's and Lover's people would be removed.

Therefore...

Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
The Willis case is just about her ability to remain as prosecutor, as for all the trials under way by the office I would think remain as active, regardless if she is retained or removed, since it's the office that brings charges.

Imagine a new prosecutor would be appointed, the all case would go under review by that person/staff and decisions made to continue or drop those active cases.

At this point the judge removed several of the charges but others still stand, however it's possible he could find that her actions were the cause in bringing the case against Trump and that the case is dismissed depending on everything decided in this case against her and her office.

Posts: 23731 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
If Fani is removed, the entire Fulton County DA's office will be removed.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

Posts: 30557 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Irksome Whirling Dervish
Picture of Flashlightboy
posted Hide Post
^^^^^ is correct.

There is an established procedure in such cases and if the entire DA's office is removed, the the decision to appoint another prosecutor goes to a non-partisan state committee.

The committee happens to be headed by a Republican and he can either appoint another DA, find a private DA (not likely because of the low rates) or he can decline to appoint someone and the case dies.

If Fani & Co. are removed the charges are still there, pending the committee head making a decision. In any event, even if he finds a new DA, the case won't begin until after the election.

Maybe we'll hear from the judge this week.

Posts: 4123 | Location: "You can't just go to Walmart with a gift card and get a new brother." Janice Serrano | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
https://twitter.com/PhilHollow.../1767951623219978398

It's back to square 1 for #FaniWillis

The indictment is legally flawed on 6 counts as to 6 defendants

In order to proceed with the current case, she would have to elect to proceed without these counts as part of the case...

BUT...

she can fix the defects the judge found.

She can take the whole case back to a grand jury and re-indict the whole thing with language that satisfies the court's concern

But that would mean starting all over from square one

This is a major setback for #FaniWillis ...

BUT...

this also makes me wonder:

If the judge were going to disqualify #FaniWillis maybe he would have ruled on that motion before this one...?

Or maybe he is ruling on the pending motions in the order they were filed....

Too soon to say so stay tuned!

I truly don’t think this is any kind of signal about how the judge will rule on the issue of disqualifying #FaniWillis …

But it does make me think he may not be inclined to dismiss the indictment on the basis of Willis alleged misconduct

https://twitter.com/PhilHollow.../1768016922636156952

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)

Irksome Whirling Dervish
Picture of Flashlightboy
posted Hide Post
This is two different issues and we will get two different decisions.

The first one is what came down today. The DA, whoever that might end up being or even Fani herself, can either proceed without the six charges or the DA can go back to the grand jury with more info. The jury might decline to indict but since it's generally considered a favorable tool of the DA, they likely will. But it's delay on all the other charges against the defendants if they want to go that route.

It's a bad day for Fani. The lack of specificity is appalling, especially in a criminal case. It's like the DA charged the defendants with speeding by breaking the basic speed law but didn't say how much over, where and when but just speeding.

The second decision on disqualification could come later this week.

Posts: 4123 | Location: "You can't just go to Walmart with a gift card and get a new brother." Janice Serrano | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Those saying they don't understand why the judge would rule on the charges if he intends to disqualify Willis- I just don't get the rationale.

If the judge disqualifies Willis and Wade, that doesn't mean he is saying the case can't go forward. He would be saying the case can't go forward with these prosecutors. Therefore, it seems to me that no matter what is his decision on Willis and Wade, ruling first on the charges is the logical move.

As usual, with all of these battles in all of their forms, there are so many people in our society who just can't wait to lose. They rush towards defeat.

It kills me, absolutely kills me to see people behave this way. Who wants to have supposed compatriots who give up so quickly? I think it's shameful behavior. Who wants to listen to that shit?

Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
It actually makes sense to me that the judge would throw out these charges now before ruling on the disqualification of Fani so that whoever might have to take up the case after Willis (assuming that is allowed), he would know what he's getting himself into. Better to get this part out of the way now.

Just my way of thinking anyway.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)