SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The Trump Presidency : Year IV
Page 1 ... 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 ... 961
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Trump Presidency : Year IV Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Moderator For 2nd Trump-Biden Debate Worked As Intern For Biden, Staff Assistant For Ted Kennedy

https://www.dailywire.com/news...tant-for-ted-kennedy

The second presidential debate, scheduled for October 15, will be moderated by Steve Scully, the political editor at C-SPAN and host of Washington Journal, who once worked as an intern for Senator Joe Biden in college, later working as a staff assistant in Sen. Edward M. Kennedy’s communication office.

“While attending college, he served as an intern in the office of Delaware Sen. Joseph R. Biden, and later a staff assistant in Sen. Edward M. Kennedy’s media affairs office,” Utah Valley University noted.

In an interview with Journalism Jobs in May 2011, when he was asked, “Has the quality of broadcast journalism decreased over the past five years?”, Scully took the opportunity to rip Fox News, stating, “I think what has gone downhill is when cable networks get caught in all the titillating news of the day when they should be focusing more on the things that are important to people, like following the money and the state of the nation. Having said that, if you’re sick and tired of watching Laci Peterson on the Fox News Channel, then you can come on to C-SPAN and understand the process that we do in following it.”

Later in the same interview, he praised Tim Russert, then-host of NBC’s “Meet the Press,” saying, “I think Tim Russert — who is paid a lot of money to do what he does — earns his money because he works hard and he understands the process. He’s probably one of the best interviewers out there.” Then he turned to Fox News again, claiming, “We are seeing more opinionated journalism on Fox, Sean Hannity, Bill O’Reilly, the whole incident with Dan Rather.”

Asked, “What will be the long-term impact on the credibility of journalists if the public’s perceived bias in reporting goes unchecked?”, Scully said, “Journalism in general will face more credibility blows. The most important thing you have is your reputation. How people view you and the organization you work at — they’re going to see things through the prism of that. It would be a shame if we go down the path where everyone looks at The Washington Post and the New York Times and dismisses them as being supportive or critical of Republicans.”

He added a criticism of CBS News, asserting, “The best thing any news organization can do is to try to maintain a level of credibility — make sure that the facts they put in the newspaper or on the air are accurate and verified. That’s one of the lessons CBS has realized. You could see the mistakes they were making every step of the way. They are going to pay a price for that.”

Scully mentioned former NBC News anchor John Chancellor, saying, “If you have a comment by a news anchor that is truly his opinion — and I personally don’t like that — you need to make sure it is clearly marked and identified. Having a John Chancellor commentary at the end of the newscast — which was still popular in the ’70s — blurs the line.”

Scully is “in charge of the network’s White House coverage. He’s even served on the Executive Board of the White House Correspondents’ Association, where he was the president of the association from 2006 until 2007,” Marie Claire noted.

Posts: 12840 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
Oh how they change their tune when they are losing...

If you remember last summer (I know, eons ago...) the Biden campaign was ruthlessly going after the Trump campaign for having their staff go door to door engaging the populace for their chosen candidate. You know, the stuff campaigns have been doing forever.

Well apparently the fear of Covid has subsided within the campaign (or they know they are getting their asses kicked) because they have made a drastic change on that issue.

After pandemic delay, Biden launching in-person canvassing

After months of avoiding direct contact with voters because of the pandemic, Joe Biden’s campaign is about to launch door-to-door canvassing across several battleground states.

The decision comes amid growing concern from Democratic officials on the ground in key states who fear that Biden has been giving a significant advantage to President Donald Trump and his Republican allies, who have been aggressively courting voters at their doorsteps for months. The reversal also reflects a sense of rising urgency as polls tighten just a month before Election Day.

https://apnews.com/article/ele...ed0a7925ef9cd9ca33e1

Posts: 10640 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sdy:
more on Parscale:

https://hotair.com/headlines/a...nies-physical-abuse/

“The statements I made on Sunday have been misconstrued, let it be clear my husband was not violent towards me that day or any day prior,” she said…

Hmmmmm...

Red-flagged and rogerstoned ?

Posts: 15971 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mbinky:
After months of avoiding direct contact with voters because of the pandemic, Joe Biden’s campaign is about to launch door-to-door canvassing across several battleground states.

Oh, this is good. If those bozos knock on my door, I'm tempted to yell at them for 'violating my health in the middle of a global pandemic!!!'

This is more good news - it shows a panic in the dnc.

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21863 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Aside from Pelosi being as transparent as any person who's ever lived, she does this "just between us" or "just between you and me" shit all the time and it is SO stupid. You goofy old bitch. You are so freaking annoying.

She didn't want Biden to debate at all and she doesn't want him to participate in the remaining two. The reasons for this are obvious.

The only reason President Trump should refrain is if they want to format the debate in such a way to be able to cut himm off from speaking, like turning off his microphone. I don't think he should consent to such a thing and I don't think he will consent to such a thing. I just can't see him allowing these biased jerks to control him like that.

Posts: 108154 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
The Babylon Bee said before the first debate Trump should step up to the podium and announce he will let Biden talk for the full 90 minutes uninterrupted. That would be a winning strategy for Trump. I’m guessing after three minutes Biden couldn’t string a coherent sentence together.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8557 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lighten up and laugh
Picture of Ackks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Alex Isenstadt
@politicoalex
The Trump campaign appears to be declaring war on the Commission on Presidential Debates in a call happening right now, describing it as biased against POTUS

https://twitter.com/politicoal...28876077061%3Fs%3D20
Who knows if this is true coming from a liberal source, but good. Screw them.

Posts: 7934 | Registered: September 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
Interesting video on the body language of the two, and the theory on the Trump interruptions.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16838 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
Of the 45 who have held office, only ten presidents have failed to win re-election for a second term, when they have attempted to .

Five of those were pre 1900.

Only 3 failed since the Great Depression.

Collecting dust.

Posts: 4143 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Trump pushes back against changes to future debates as Dems float ‘mute button’
quote:
"Why would I allow the Debate Commission to change the rules for the second and third Debates when I easily won last time?" Trump tweeted Thursday.
Good for you, Mister President. Don't give in to this shit.

Nobody shuts up The Donald.

Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
quote:

Ford, Carter, Bush?

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6863 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Oddball, I saw that this morning and when I was watching the debate I knew that POTUS was trying to overload Biden, so that he would begin stammering and loose his train of thought.

Great move.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11374 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shaql:
quote:

Ford Hoover, Carter, Bush?

quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
Oddball, I saw that this morning and when I was watching the debate I knew that POTUS was trying to overload Biden, so that he would begin stammering and loose his train of thought.

Great move.

Yeah, this makes sense to me. Biden agreed to, and then refused an ear check, and I'll bet Trump and his team assumed Sleepy Joe would likely have one way comms set up for him.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16838 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Aside from Pelosi being as transparent as any person who's ever lived, she does this "just between us" or "just between you and me" shit all the time and it is SO stupid...

I have this enduring image of Bill Clinton. I'm thinking it was mid-term elections, Clinton had been under a rock for some time due to Lewinski antics. Looking for a sympathetic audience, he went to the Ebenezer Baptist Church. At one point, his voice lowered, his eyes squinted and almost whispering said "We have learned the Republicans are going to try to keep you from voting". It was like he was speaking to two or three people in a dark corner (our little secret) instead of a church filled to the rafters.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8407 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mbinky:
I doubt very much that they would show up in my neighborhood, but if they do, they're going to get run off of my property the instant I realize who they are.

posted Hide Post
The "debate" format I would like to see: only one candidate on the stage; the other is in isolation - they only get to watch the first victim after they take their own turn.

Nothing on the stage except an open lectern - nothing to hide there, nothing to shelter behind - a carafe of water with a glass, and a microphone.

The candidate is searched for wires before taking the stage.

The candidate cannot see anything in the audience - no help there.

The candidate is given 30 minutes to talk, uninterrupted. The candidate is given a verbal list of six topics to address, one time only. The candidate cannot write down the topics, cannot have the topics repeated, cannot do any research, cannot get any help from anywhere, and has to talk for the full 30 minutes on just those six topics - ALL six topics - and on nothing else.

After the first victim is done, the next candidate comes out, all alone, and gets the same treatment and the same topics.

It would be test of short-term memory, long-term memory, level of knowledge, stamina, endurance, organization - it would be a bitch.

===
I would like to apologize to anyone I have *not* offended. Please be patient. I will get to you shortly.

Posts: 2086 | Location: The Sticks in Wisconsin. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I grew up reading Sigforum
Picture of owenbright
posted Hide Post
whanson_wi,
I'm laughing pretty hard after having read your debate format. "victims" HAHAHA. It's great.

They just need to get rid of these ridiculous moderators, and just have the topics written on a big board and let the candidates duke it out. LONG format of like 3 hours.

Posts: 1884 | Location: on the move | Registered: June 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
I debated about where to put this post, and finally settled on here since they do spend a fair amount of time on the election. I am very aware of how Megyn Kelly is viewed by the members of this Forum; I am of similar mind. This interview showed up in my YT feed and I was intrigued, Kelly’s departure from NBC was even more publicized than that from FOX. I listened to 5 minutes or so, then turned it off. Got to thinking, “You know that was kinda interesting.”

I encourage you to listen to a few minutes and see if it captures your attention. You might be surprised.

Posts: 13401 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by owenbright:
They just need to get rid of these ridiculous moderators, and just have the topics written on a big board and let the candidates duke it out. LONG format of like 3 hours.

Some people in Australia agree.

Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
quote:
Your mission, which I hope you accept, is to go to the polls on November 3. None of this mail-in stuff. Vote in person, every one of you, and make it a straight Republican ticket from Trump down to the local dog catcher.

If you take nothing away from the debate, take this ^ and understand that Trump was sending a message to the voters. DO NOT MAIL IN A BALLOT, go directly to the precinct and vote.

Wallace tried to get him to commit to mail in vote safety, Trump answered to the voters, not Wallace, and it wasn't what the left wanted.

Trump telling us that the most important thing we can do is to vote in person.

We show up in the numbers we need to win overwhelming the uncounted mail ballots and it kills this leftist vote grab.

Even if you are a D vote in person, why? Eliminate the mail in BS.. The more in person votes the less the mail in game works.
Unfortunately, the problem with mail-in ballots may still be that they are out there, and that SOMEONE could vote them and they'd be counted, even if the proper recipient had voted in person. I'm with President Trump--unsolicited mail-in ballots are ripe for fraud.

quote:
Reminds me of the old quote: "I don't care who does the electing, so long as I get to do the nominating." -- Boss Tweed
Frankly, I care more about who does the counting.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27909 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post