SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    PVC or Poly Tubing for underground sprinkler system?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

PVC or Poly Tubing for underground sprinkler system? Login/Join 
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted
Going to do a very simple underground sprinkler system.
3 Orbit Voyager II sprinkler heads will cover me just fine. I see people use PVC or Poly Tubing but have not really read why.
System will be disconnected and blown out in the winter. I will have a maximum of 25' of pipe or tubing under ground.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25674 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JasonATI
posted Hide Post
We always used the poly pipe because it was alot easier to pull it and cut it into the ground with a vibratory plow.
Also in this area with the freeze/thaw cycle the PVC would probably develop cracks, even if blown out.

Posts: 430 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: October 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
i used to install both residential and commercial systems and we used poly about 95% of the time. It is easy to add/remove areas of coverage as the connections are barbed fittings and crimped on with a metal band. With PVC, you have to prime and glue everything. IMHO poly is also easier to repair, as you can still do it while there is residual water in the lines. Gluing wet PVC is difficult at best, and your results would be a weaker joint.

Hope my first post here has been helpful.

-Jeff

Posts: 176 | Location: NJ | Registered: September 06, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
we are visiting family in Salt Lake City. Today was 78° so the city turned on the gray water for all of the sprinkler systems. Most here are PVC and the poor guy across the street hit a gusher. Every year folks in the area are out repairing the leaks.

In cold, cold Montana winters, back home, we have a 24 zone Poly system with Hunter heads. 4 zones are drip zones. I have about 200 heads on the non-drip zones.

In 13 years I have never had a leak. I blow out each October with a 5 HP air compressor.

Easy decision.

Mike

This message has been edited. Last edited by: mcrimm,

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4275 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Poly it shall be

————————————————

posted Hide Post
Hello Xtbone and welcome to a great forum. I moved out of NJ a few years ago (1978). Still have a few brothers there, maybe you know them? Wink

Posts: 2158 | Location: south central Pennsylvania | Registered: November 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
Good choice, pex all the way!

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8239 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
I contracted with an outfit up in Canada when I was doing my sprinkler system. Being a complete noob, I had no idea what to do or how to go about it.

These guys had me map out my area on grid paper and send it to them. They then looked at it, told me what I needed where to cover everything, and then sent me everything I needed for the job (except a couple of Mexican landscapers which would have been really nice Big Grin )

What I used was the blue poly piping with push in (I think it's called shark tooth) fittings. It all went together quite easily and I used RainBird heads (also included). The only real PITA I encountered was that I put it in in late September when it was cold. The pipe came in big rolls, and with it being cold, it didn't want to lay flat. Other than that, so far so good after almost four years. No leaks and it works great.

If you're interested, I can get you their information.

Posts: 20563 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Fortunately for sprinkler design we have a small front yard and it will be very simple.
Just a T with 3 sprayers and I am golden.
Our backyard on the other hand is a different story.
Our lots is a big wedge so smal front yard with a much larger and wider backyard.
It will take a bit more planning as I have a driveway that goes around back along with a big concrete parking pad, playland attached to the deck, and a concrete patio under the deck.
But it is in decent shape unlike the front so I will wait awhile on that.

————————————————

posted Hide Post
Chris42, I just added my email to my profile. Hit me up there about possibly knowing some of your family in NJ. I don't want to hi-jack the thread for different subject matter.

-Jeff

Posts: 176 | Location: NJ | Registered: September 06, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
^ SharkBite, and PEX, Gustofer...

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
So do I want poly or pex??

I was referring to this as poly tubing
https://youtu.be/GnFb1_JdC2E

————————————————

Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted Hide Post
I went with poly because I didn't want to have to deal with pipes bursting in the winter. In 20 years, I've never had a freeze-induced leak.

The secret to working with poly is to warm it up before unrolling it. Let the roll sit in the sun for a few hours to get warm and pliable. Same thing when you go to add connectors - I hit the pipe with a hairdryer for about 60 seconds, and it makes things go together much easier.

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4945 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JasonATI
posted Hide Post
Poly and fanned it with a torch to heat it for easier fitting insertion.

Posts: 430 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: October 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post