SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Recommend a dual [for now] budget watch winder
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Recommend a dual [for now] budget watch winder Login/Join 
Picture of P250UA5
posted
As the title suggests, need a winder for my 2, new to me, Seikos.
A Wolf would be nice, but can't justify the sticker shock I got when browsing their selection.

Browsed a bit on Amazon, and they all seem to be variations of the same Chinese 4 piece winder for $70-90.
Are these any good, better option without the buy once/cry once Wolf prices?

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15154 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Don't buy one. Why keep it wound when you aren't using it? It is uneccessary wear.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One reason I've been given to not let an automatic watch sit unused for long periods of time is to help keep the lubricants from gumming. It makes sense to me, but perhaps not to others.

Here's a good read about the usefulness, or not, of watch winders:

https://www.bobswatches.com/ro...h-winders-worth.html

Edit to add:

If you're looking at Wolf watch winders, check out Orbita for another option:

https://www.orbita.com/shop/?s...r_tax=87-product_cat

Posts: 4976 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
I’m looking at one of these or at least reading reviews and researching. Still on the fence.
I see them on Amazon. Not sure if this is the actual website. Chiyoda is another budget brand I see.

https://www.jqueenwatchwinders...ouble-watch-winders/

Posts: 17871 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
Don't buy one. Why keep it wound when you aren't using it? It is uneccessary wear.
I’m with you. It’s a controversial subject but I’ve had probably 15 mechanical watches and have never had a single one “gum up”.

A friend of mine who’s watch collection makes mine look like a starter set once told me when I asked his opinion on the subject that it’s like letting your car run all day while you're at work with the AC on so it’s cool when you get in it after work.

Sure it’s convenient but the constant wear and tear when not using it isn’t worth the added convenience with how easy most modern mechanicals can be brought to the correct time and date.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 1s1k,

Posts: 3875 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
My watch repair guy says he loves watch grinders and wishes all his customers used them.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17459 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
I have and use a winder ONLY for times when I'm not going to wear a watch that I really don't want to reset. Like a GMT/date that is a little bit of a chore to set. But I'd estimate I don't have a watch on my winder (single unit) more than a few days every few months.

I simply do not believe that modern lubricants gel-up inside of a sealed watch case, nor do I believe that they migrate downward, assuming the watch isn't sitting for a decade untouched.

Of course, 90% of the watches I own are gone within a few months to a few years. But I still treat them all like I was keeping them for life.

Posts: 11355 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
When buying an inexpensive watch winder I was told to be careful.
I was told that the cheep winders do not shield their motors and that can create a magnetic field that will magnetize your watch, not sure how true this is.
Most of the inexpensive winders also have no way to set the turns per day. Try to find a winder that will be close to what your watch needs to keep it fully wound.

I have had some inexpensive ones that did not last very long.
I now have a Wolf Cub my wife purchased off Posh Mark. It was listed as brand new missing the power supply however it took battery's. I also purchased a power supply and the total cost was almost 1/3 the cost of a new one.

There will always be a 50/50 split on use/don't use one. It's a personal choice. I use one to wind my watch the night before I am going to set it and wear it in the morning.
The watch I do this with have a ETA 2824-2 movement in them. This movement has been known to have a gear that can strip if hand wound to much.

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2553 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Thanks gents, these are my first autos, so it's still a learning curve over here.

Neither are difficult to set, though only 1 has handwinding.

Think I'll hold on a winder, for now.

Posts: 15154 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
I've worn an automatic watch continuously since Christmas when I was 8 or 9 and I got my first watch.

When I heard there were automatic watch winders, I thought someone was blowing smoke up my wazoo as I have never seen a need for one.

Turns out they're for real.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tupperware Dr.
Picture of GCE61
posted Hide Post
Half the fun of an Automatic is picking one out of the case and shaking it to start the action, then winding and setting it to the perfect time…. off the Time.is website on my cell phone.

Even the days that I swap watches I still enjoy taking the time to mechanically bring each timepiece back to life. It always reminds me of when I was a little kid watching my father get ready to go to the office, drinking his coffee in the early morning at the kitchen table and winding his watch.

Posts: 3537 | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
I've been using the Android app:
Atomic Clock & Watch Accuracy Tool (with NTP Time)
Ironically, it syncs to the Apple time server.

To set mine. It lets you track time snapshots & gives a decent look at how much time it's losing, but only lets you save 1 watch in the free version.

Mostly just been using it for the time setting as it simulates an auto movement on the second hand.

Putting the winder idea on hold & may look into a display/storage case instead, since I'm sitting on 4 quartz & 2 autos.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 71 TRUCK:

I was told that the cheep winders do not shield their motors and that can create a magnetic field that will magnetize your watch, not sure how true this is.
Most of the inexpensive winders also have no way to set the turns per day. Try to find a winder that will be close to what your watch needs to keep it fully wound.

Just an fyi: After reading the above note, I removed the 3 watches that I had in my winder (from Amazon) and checked them for magnetism. I checked them by putting them close to a cheap hiking compass (admittedly not high tech). To my surprise,2 of the 3 watches moved the compass needle quite vigorously.

As a hobby, I fiddle with watches and have a demagnetizer. I'm quite sure that I had run these watches through my Demag. So, I can fix this quite easily, but it does make me wonder if I want to use my winder anymore.....

Posts: 1264 | Location: Idaho | Registered: October 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
im in the same market. I've been wearing autos for years without a winder, but am tired on the winding and resetting. I"ve got to think that a properly set winder, in terms of turns per time period, would not put any more wear on a watch than wearing it.

Posts: 632 | Registered: June 11, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I also think modern lubes will not gum up a watch that doesn't run for a few weeks, or even months. We aren't using whale oil any more. I also don't think the lubricants will run out of their bearing points, etc.

I can't see any way around the logic that tells me that the watch is now running two or three times more than one not on a winder and that accelerates wear.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There's a lot of information and discussion regarding watchwinders on various watch forums and other internet sites that cover all the aspects in this thread and more.

In addition to the links I posted above, here are just a couple more of the many out there that are good reading for folks interested in watch winders:

https://millenarywatches.com/are-watch-winders-bad/

https://www.watchuseek.com/thr...19125/#post-45064877

It's a subject that is contentious but doesn't need to be. If you're thinking about watch winders you should definitely research them before purchasing - as you would for any item on which you would spend $100's of dollars as my recommendation, if you decide to get one at some point, is to avoid the cheap versions.

As far as I'm aware, there aren't any studies or research done regarding the possible positive or negative effects of using watch winders so understand that most everything you read or hear (good and bad) is subjective. Take your time, read as much about them as you can, then decide what makes the most sense to you.

Posts: 4976 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I had autowinders. Then I got more automatic watches.

Then I started thinking. I bought the automatic watches because I like the idea of not having to deal with batteries. But, instead, I use watch winders that use electricity to keep the watches wound.

So, I ditched the autowinders. Instead, everyday, I wind each watch 30 times. I also rotate using them every week. This way when I switch watches, I don't have to set the time and date on a stopped watch. I get the tactile pleasure of handling the watch as I wind it.

I don't buy the idea that autowinders will ruin the watch. If it was your only watch, you would be constantly wearing it anyway.

I would recommend just winding everyday the watch you're not wearing.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19588 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post