SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Ain't nothin' ever easy-tire shopping
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ain't nothin' ever easy-tire shopping Login/Join 
posted
My lovely wife and I have four vehicles licensed and insured. One is "a toy". One is a half ton pickup which we only drive when we need a truck. One is kind of a beater which we use for shopping and parking lots. The fourth one is a clean basic vehicle with low miles which we use for longer trips. We don't put a lot of miles per year on any of them. Tire manufacturers suggest that seven years from the date the tire was made should be the safe life of the tire structurally regardless of miles. I selected a Uniroyal Tiger Paw Touring tire and emailed three suppliers. None of them could tell me the age of the tire they had for sale. I got the following reply from one manufacturer:

"Unfortunately, due to the number of warehouse locations we have, we are unable to pull and check the exact date of manufacturing on tires. We do however make sure all tires that are shipped are within the industry standard of 4 years or earlier".

If you have additional questions or if there is anything else we can help you with then please don't hesitate to reach out to us.

So if I buy tires from this one they could be four years old before I get them mounted and I have three years of use before they should be changed. The other two manufacturers got back and just said they couldn't tell me the age. I would know it when I got them.
I ended up buying them at a GM Dealer who said if I didn't like the dates when they ordered them they would send them back and get dates I would accept. Four years shelf life is absurd!

Posts: 1500 | Location: S/W Illinois | Registered: October 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
And from what I've read, it's worse (new tire age) on motorcycle tires.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15374 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
If you could shop the big box tire stores and Sams, WalMart who carry Uniroyals, you can see the manufacturers date codes on the side walls. You can find tires less than a year old.

Posts: 17922 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I got Mrs. Mikes last set from Sams club….IIRC there’s a letter code on them for mfg info

Just found this…
“To know the tire manufacture date, look at the last four numbers of the DOT code. The first two numbers tell you the week of manufacture, and the last two are the year. So, if the code is 2216, your tires were made on the 22nd week of 2016”

Hers are 4321….so 43week (Oct24) 2021

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11304 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
I got Mrs. Mikes last set from Sams club….IIRC there’s a letter code on them for mfg info

That is correct it is the DOT TIN number.
https://www.tirebuyer.com/educ...dentification-number

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25448 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oldbill123:
I switched out the Tacoma tires at 6 years. 2000 miles yearly. The car tires are 4 years old. I am thinking of changing them out not due to treadwear, but the loss of flexibility in the rubber. I am thinking the harder rubber causes more wear on the suspension. Car is driven the most at 5000 yearly.
Side note:
I would really like to trade the car and truck in on a Ridgeline. But the interference engine and the timing belt (on the Ridgeline), would entail a costly belt change every 7 years. Tacoma costs nothing

Posts: 1408 | Registered: November 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I find it hard to believe that a popular tire in a common size is going to sit in a warehouse for more a few months, let alone as long as 4 years, from its manufacturing date.

Posts: 28005 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
I find it hard to believe that a popular tire in a common size is going to sit in a warehouse for more a few months, let alone as long as 4 years, from its manufacturing date.

Agree, the Michelins for my F150 were backordered nationally for months before I actually could find some.

Posts: 1995 | Location: DFW Texas | Registered: March 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post